WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2PBcastco
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Sending in a 1911 to Nighthawk Custom...

Sending in a 1911 to Nighthawk Custom...

I have been dealing with Bob Reeves at Nighthawk Customs. I can not afford to do what I want to do all at once, so I have broken it down to about 5 phases, each one will be about $600 or so.

This gentleman seems EXTREMELY patient and friendly with me and I was reading something awhile back about how Wilson Combat possibly had the best CS and well, it has given me a little doubt, but I suppose that might be normal when sending in an expensive gun to make it more expensiver and you just want the best for it.

All I have ever really shot out of this 1911 was my reloads and SOMETIMES they did not eject (I think they were too weak to get thrown) correctly but mainly this gun has performed most excellently for what it is. I was going to send in a RIA 1911 and have them perform the work, but Bob suggested this SA 1911 instead. I dunno though, I think I might enjoy my Taurus 1911 with some NHC parts or Wilson Combat parts in it as well though...

Has anyone else ever had NHC do any custom work for them? If so, how did you like it?
    The ONLY custom work that I have performed on this pistol was taking it apart and installing the trigger you see. I also made that trigger into a smooth as glass pull by stoning out the inside and the metal bow. The trigger pull on this 1911 is fantastic.

Here is the patient before anything happens.

Did I post this in the correct forum? I saw pistols and what I think was all handguns. I hate to be THAT guy that puts his stuff in the incorrect forum. I been banned from enough websites for the month...
    Last edited by Stilly; 09-28-2017 at 04:49 AM.

Sounds like an interesting project but the question begs- what are each of your five phases of work? I would have no doubt Nighthawk produces absolute top quality work, given their price point. This is no knock on your choice, but it's that same price issue that has me scratching my head these days. Seems anyone who builds 1911s expects to stub their toes on randomly strewn gold bars about the shop floor. While I do not build guns with a 1.5" accuracy guarantee at 50yd, I am a school trained gunsmith. Totally in support of guys that are making good money for good work, though it seems exorbitant as of late. All same, inquiring minds want to know what the project is!

Boolit Master
    If you are going to spend $3000.00 why not just save up and buy one from Nighthawk or Wilson?

Boolit Master

Sending in a 1911 to Nighthawk Custom...

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    If you are going to spend $3000.00 why not just save up and buy one from Nighthawk or Wilson?
    This^^

However, the Springfield is the better base gun out of the 3 you listed. Sinking $3,000 total into a RIA or Taurus is not a wise use of money. Might as well just buy a Semi custom built with everything you want at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    This^^

However, the Springfield is the better base gun out of the 3 you listed. Sinking $3,000 total into a RIA or Taurus is not a wise use of money. Might as well just buy a Semi custom built with everything you want at that point.

Agreed 110%.

Looking forward to a full review when you get the gun back from Nighthawk.
    I really like the looks of the full length dust cover on your SA.

Quote Originally Posted by KVO View Post
    Sounds like an interesting project but the question begs- what are each of your five phases of work? I would have no doubt Nighthawk produces absolute top quality work, given their price point. This is no knock on your choice, but it's that same price issue that has me scratching my head these days. Seems anyone who builds 1911s expects to stub their toes on randomly strewn gold bars about the shop floor. While I do not build guns with a 1.5" accuracy guarantee at 50yd, I am a school trained gunsmith. Totally in support of guys that are making good money for good work, though it seems exorbitant as of late. All same, inquiring minds want to know what the project is!

It started when my left rear sight bead fell out of the holder and left the gun with a ONE EYE look in the back. I sent it in to Either SA or Trijicon and I got the sights replaced for free but they were missing those little aluminum rings that catch the light around the tritium sights. I mean, reflect the light. SO the sights are a tad darker now when I am at the range. I miss those rings. On that same note. I was wanting a new finish on the gun since it is a 2004 model and has some weird wear spots/ finish issues here and there.

I figured- heck, why not see what I can do. I WAS going to buy a NHC but then I saw that CA does not have it on the list. For anyone that is not familiar with CA laws, there is a list of APPROVED handguns that the DOJ ALLOWS us common folk to purchase NEW. IF it is NOT on the list, then it can not be ordered as new. It has to be imported (illegal mostly) or smuggled (illegal?) or LEO can purchase it (because they are exempt from only being able to buy safe guns) and then the LEO can sell it to you (illegal apparently). Some LEO have done this and when they have done several guns they get popped by the CA DOJ for lieing on their 4473 form (are YOU the purchaser of this gun?) I do not know the specifics but this leaves only one or two avenues of bringing in handguns into the state. I will not talk about them online in a public forum. One such method WAS the SSE (Single Shot Exempt). In which CA had a law that allowed you to bring in a pistol that was not on the roster (Olympic custom pistols) as long as it was 1. 10" or longer, 2. only held one shot at a time, 3. had a barrel that was 6.5" or longer... SO, people started having guns modified and shipped in to fit the law, and then they would change the guns BACK to original configuration after getting them (because the law did not say you could not do that) and for a few years it worked out great until TOO many people started doing it and talking about it and then they changed the law that said if a gun was brought in that was not semi-auto, then it could not be made to be semi-auto or some BS like that. The CA politicians were all patting themselves on the back over that one...

So you see, CA is really all about project guns and one-offs. I HATE the laws here so EVERY handgun I buy I try to make sure it is off the roster or I will heavily modify it so it is unique. (who wants to die with a safe full of SS and black firearms anyways... Let's splash some color into that!)

SO I figured that since I wanted a cool NHC that I could not obtain anytime soon, Instead, I would take features that I liked from other NHCs and combine them into a project 1911 and see where it went.

So I am going to get a thick flanged bull barrel that is crowned to the flange first, then the internals will be changed out (reliability enhancement package) to see if that makes any difference, the trigger is going to be a solid NHC or something else maybe if I can send them one, polished insides, then the sights will be replaced with night sights that are higher so they can co-witness with the red dot I am going to have it cut for, but not sure that I will have it mounted just yet. I might shop around for a bit to see the options for the red dot sight. (trijicon RMR might be out of my budget). Then the gun will be bobtailed (because I like that feel) and finally the side will be etched (maybe) but the gun will be refinished to be OD green frame and slide with black everything else and a black tip on the guide rod if I can.

And yes, I am known for doing crazy things like this from time to time. This will be my third gun to have done this way. I mean coloring wise. There are some other minor things that will be done possibly, but Bob and I are working them out as we go along. I might be THRILLED with the barrel and stop there. But I am going for an entire package since I am a free spirit.

Lots of photos prior to sending it off, but I expect to have it shipped out for the barrel in about 3 weeks or so.

Another thing I do is film the reloads and how they perform out of my 1911 at the range so I like to have a nice or unique looking firearm when I do that. It adds one more minute layer of detail to the video.

I wanted to send in the RIA or my Norinco for this job but only because I KNOW those do not shoot the greatest. I KNOW this 1911 shoots fine. It shoots lazers. I can get a constant single hole with 7 fliers when I shoot at paper freehand No seriously though, this 1911 is a pleasure to shoot and I know it well enough to shoot 1" targets at about 25' or more which is really good for me. I am NO expert though. In my opinion, it really does not NEED any more work. I am happy where it is at. Bob said it would be a better firearm to use though. I DO know that I no longer really take out and shoot my RIA or Taurus though. And out of all of my 1911s, the Taurus is the ONLY one that has never had a jam or any issues.
    Last edited by Stilly; 09-28-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_4595.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	204833Here is my S&W 1911 that I used for IDPA matches. When I bought it, it was a 2-1/2 to 3 inch group gun at 25 yards. I was lucky that the slide to frame fit was excellent. tight, but still reliable. I sent it to Miller Custom Gunsmithing and he fitted a Kart barrel and bushing to the gun. He tested fired in a Ransom rest at 25 yards with a full mag of 8 rounds of Federal 185 gr. gold Match ammo. Here is a photo of the test target. That one hole can be covered with a 5 cent nickel. So far I have several thousand rounds though the gun with no failures.
    Right after Miller finished this gun, he got his engineer degree and went to work for Ruger in Prescott, AZ. He has a web site and has a new shop in AZ. and will be accepting custom work again. He designed and made his own jigs for fitting match barrels to 1911s. My cost for his work was under 500 bucks.

Boolit Grand Master
    "What this country needs is a seven cent Nickle." --Groucho Marks

For <500 bucks, that is a fine shooting piece! I've seen a great many that had more costly work done that couldn't equal that.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 09-29-2017 at 02:42 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Totally understand Cali's crazy laws. So it seems reasonable to take a good gun and work to make it as custom as you can.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    This^^

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Agreed 110%.
    I agree as well. It's your money but would you buy a $3000 RIA or SA? I wouldn't.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_4595.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	204833Here is my S&W 1911 that I used for IDPA matches. When I bought it, it was a 2-1/2 to 3 inch group gun at 25 yards. I was lucky that the slide to frame fit was excellent. tight, but still reliable. I sent it to Miller Custom Gunsmithing and he fitted a Kart barrel and bushing to the gun. He tested fired in a Ransom rest at 25 yards with a full mag of 8 rounds of Federal 185 gr. gold Match ammo. Here is a photo of the test target. That one hole can be covered with a 5 cent nickel. So far I have several thousand rounds though the gun with no failures.
    Right after Miller finished this gun, he got his engineer degree and went to work for Ruger in Prescott, AZ. He has a web site and has a new shop in AZ. and will be accepting custom work again. He designed and made his own jigs for fitting match barrels to 1911s. My cost for his work was under 500 bucks.
    THAT is pretty nice. Perhaps he can work on my Norinco or my Taurus. (No really, I love all my 1911s like they are my own children) Except for that bastid RIA... I am looking for a reason to cut on it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilly View Post
    THAT is pretty nice. Perhaps he can work on my Norinco or my Taurus. (No really, I love all my 1911s like they are my own children) Except for that bastid RIA... I am looking for a reason to cut on it.
    I installed kart EZ fit barrels in two of my Norincos. Well worth the effort.

Boolit Master

NHC knows what to do and how to do it. I agree about using the SA. Top level custom gunsmiths like those because I was told they have good steel.

Boolit Buddy

They do. Most custom smiths prefer to start on SA base guns because of their steel and their general specs/dimensions are consistent. Holes are where they're supposed to be, frame rails are actually parallel, part fit is reasonably sound, etc. As good as they may shoot, RIA, Norinco, Metro Arms, etc are a whole lot cheaper for a reason.