Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington Enfield P17 - Need Suggestions

Numrich was #2 place to check for stocks after Boyds. going to wait on find a stock then worry about the barrel. Barrels seem more available.

Boolit Buddy
    Just remember..if you buy an original stock for 300.00 when you go to sell the gun you're going to get 300.00 . For the stock...if you get an aftermarket stock for say 300.00....your going to get maybe $100.00 for it....really you say?..how much would you pay for a used aftermarket stock sitting on a bench a a gun show...?

Criterion barrels are well respected and worth the price ..plus they inststall

I have some sight parts for a P14 if your interested. Should fit.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Buddy
    I want to keep this comment as short as possible. I would avoid using P14 parts in the M1917 as only a few parts are compatible. Basically there is few P14 parts which have compatibility between each of the three manufacturers and sometimes even within the manufacturer itself. For example the Eddystone P14 produced used two different magazine cases in their production which will not fit the other's receivers. The only way to tell the difference is the magazine case and the 2nd type receiver is stamped with a "2". The early 1st issue Eddystone's are not stamped. Winchester used at totally different magazine case design that would only fit their rifles only. These are just a few of examples. There was a reason the British had the serial numbers and manufacturer's code "W", "E" or "R" placed on their P14's bolt, receivers and rear sights. I am not going into the two different versions of the P14 that each manufacturer produced.
    The M1917 is a different story. US Army Ordnance insisted on compatibility and commonality of parts. That's one of the reasons we see a lot of the WWII built and rebuilt M1917s with parts from all three manufacturers. Enough said.
    If anyone is restoring a P14, research what you have. Only stick with parts from that respective manufacturer even if you have a DP P14 with parts from several manufacturers. There is a reason why they the Brits made them DP rifles.
    --fjruple

This is why i love this site, you guys are awesome with all the help. thanks especially to fjruple

guicksylver - I don't really sell rifles so the value equation to me is not the resale issue. Rebuilding this is likely going to cost more than just finding one on gunbroker that is in decent shape and I'm fine with that if i get it to what condition i want Military / few modifications. I do like the thought process! thank you!

Boolit Master
    LGS had a stock, 17 or 14, I don't know the difference thought it had a small piece missing. I'll look today.

Boolit Master
    PM inbound.

A huge thank you to 30calflash for the find at a gun shop! This stock is perfect and got it $100 bucks. Thank you!! I love this site and all the help!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05064.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	205732

Boolit Master
    Quick comment in the DP P14's.All I have seen personally were done in India.I have knocked the DP pins out of the barrel on a number of them and inspected the bores.Most were in new condition.I have used a number of the actions to build rifles.

I used a P14 DP Eddystone to build a .450 Marlin custom rifle. It is a good action.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchninja View Post
    nicholst55 - never thought about potential crack. Have to find a place that does that? Once i get the action in hand, i'm going to my GS to discuss as well.
    Find a local shop that rebuilds car engines; they're almost certain to have the capability to magnaflux.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    There is nothing wrong with the P14 rifle. all of the ones that I have were attempts by an inexperience individual who tried to convert the P14 to .30-06 by switch out several parts for a M1917 rifle. They very quickly discover most parts have to modified or replaced to get a functional repeater from a P14 action. Just about all of the P14 and DP P14 recently came out of India. One little unknown fact is that the some of the very first P14 rifles were shipped directly to India. One of the P14s that I have is an early Winchester P14 MkI which had not been converted to MKI* standard which are pretty scare and collectable. Unfortunately the owner who paid probably $150.00 for the rifle had the barrel removed by stress relief cutting. He was trying to convert the rifle to .30-06. If he had left the rifle in its orginial condition it could have been worth about $700.00 to $800.00 or more.
    --fjruple

Boolit Buddy
    Be patient and keep an eye out on Fleabay, etc. I know there has to be barrels, sights, and other hardware circulating after decades of sporterizing these things.. You might have to wait for an estate sale of an old gunsmith or two. I have seen corners in gunsmith shops piled with '03, m1917 and Mauser takeoff parts. You stole that action!

Century Arms sporterized/rebarreled a bunch of P14s in 7mm and .300 magnums called "Centurion"- I don't know if they used the DP actions or not.
    ER Shaw barrelled mine to .450 Savage without batting an eye.

.450 Marlin sounds better.

Boolit Master
    My 1917 30-06 sporter (I bought it that way) shoots 1/2 50 yrd group with Accurate 314299 GC with scope .Sized to .313 1918 5 groove barrel Heavy with 20 in barrel cut down GREAT FUN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Century Arms sporterized/rebarreled a bunch of P14s in 7mm and .300 magnums called "Centurion"- I don't know if they used the DP actions or not.
    ER Shaw barrelled mine to .450 Savage without batting an eye.

I have a Century DP P14 that was rebarreled (remains .303) and restocked. Got it really cheap and it is one of the most accurate milsurps I own. Not sure when Century was salvaging them but I like it. Great actions. I also have a custom built on a P-17 action. I think if I had the action I might go the custom route. Trying to restore would be fun but cost way more than it will ever be worth.

Boolit Bub
    311291 and 20gr 2400 is very accurate out of mine

Boolit Buddy

The Remington and Winchester 1917 Enfields have very durable actions with few issues. The steel used in them is malleable and is much more likely to stretch than crack. While it is possible they could have a crack, it is not very likely. Some of the Eddystones had some challenges with being very hard and could be subject to cracking if someone was careless removing the barrel.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    You can get an Issue configuration Krieger Criterion barrel for that M1917
    for a reasonable price.
    beltfed/arnie
    Excellent advice. Those Criterion barrels are outstanding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast