MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington Enfield P17 - Need Suggestions

Remington Enfield P17 - Need Suggestions

I don't have it in hand today, but the father-in-law bought it at an estate sale yesterday for $30. That said it looks like it is in decent shape, some pitting, looks as if it was blasted at some point. I know replacement stocks are non-existent but bought it cause they didn't scrub the ears of the sight, even though it's missing.

Would like to get it back to original configuration. i know i would be likely better off just buying a complete one instead but anyone have suggestions what to do with it? I'd have it cerakoted in the end, maybe with a threaded barrel for one of my suppressors.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P17 Side.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	205047

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Down.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	205046
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P17 Side.jpg  

Boyd's has stocks- original pattern and sporter shapes. That action will handle 30-06 on up to the big magnums with some mods. Your daddy in law STOLE that action.

Boyds doesn't do the original military stocks with the top wood. looking for other sources. There is one guy that does repos but their $400 not including the two top parts.

Boolit Master
    Check with Springfield Sporters.A P14 stock can be made to work as well.The triggerguard inletting is a bit different at the front end.

Boolit Master
    The very first thing I'd do is have it magnafluxed to check for cracks. Many 1917 receivers had the barrels torqued on so tightly that they crack when the barrel is pulled.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    The M1917 actions looks like one the heavily sandblasted M1917 actions that SARCO sells. If you keep checking and be patient on Ebay and Gunbroker the M1917 rifle stocks do become available. I just picked off of Ebay an original Eddystone M1917 stock complete with metal parts and Canadian property proofs for $200.00 plus shipping. It has several nicks and dings but not bad for being 100 years old. Nice find on you father-in-laws part.

--fjruple

Boolit Master
    Yes have the receiver checked for damge first. The receivers are well known to crack upon removal of the barrel.

Then you've several options, a sporter or non original build could cost less in the short or long run.

Fjruple - Saw a stock on ebay, $300 current bid, but will keep checking. If i'm paying $300 i'll have one duplicated for the $400 and be done with it.

nicholst55 - never thought about potential crack. Have to find a place that does that? Once i get the action in hand, i'm going to my GS to discuss as well.

So I found out more of the story, my MOTHER-IN-LAW talked him down the $10 for me. I told my father-in-law to just buy it for the $40. Apparently they had a sign that everything was 50% marked and they said not on that item, so she goes in negotiation mode and gets the guy down $30. $10 big deal but still surprising but this is the same person that found a earily 70's Marlin 336 in 30-30 for my father-in-law at a garage sale that was never fired in perfect condition for $250 and talked the guy down to $150.........

no stocks at springfield sporters even the p14s.

Boolit Master
    I bought an origional stock from a member here for less than a C note. He had 5 at the time. Post a WTB in swap & sell.

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure how original you wish to keep it, but if the action is well and truly sound, see if Shilen will rebarrel it for you. They know how to do barrels right!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

A relief cut is required to remove a P14/US 1917 barrel. Then they will come off normally. I'm sorry about the Boyd's suggestion. I thought I saw stocks and handguards for the US 1917 in their printed catalog several years ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Sarco has them.

Texas by God - Boyds was the first place i went. I thought for sure they would have one as there is next to none on the surplus market.

Kosh - Going to get it back to as original as possible if i can find the a stock and less the threaded barrel possibility.

Original barrels were 5 groove but many were rebarrelled with 4 groove
    Springfield barrels as they went through the armory.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    You can get an Issue configuration Krieger Criterion barrel for that M1917
    for a reasonable price.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchninja View Post
    Fjruple - Saw a stock on ebay, $300 current bid, but will keep checking. If i'm paying $300 i'll have one duplicated for the $400 and be done with it.
    I usually wait for the "Buy Now" option and then strike. You have to be quick or someone else will get it. Some of the bidding wars for an original M1917 stock are crazy. Most being in the higher side of $300.00 plus. Unfortunately Boyd's has stopped making military replacement stocks which is an option that I would want and they were reasonably priced. Sometimes you can find a M1917 stock if you search under "military stocks" you can find one that the seller has no idea what it is or it's worth and just wants to get rid of it.
    You may want to put a Parker Hale PH5B rear target sight on the rifle as they are incredibly accurate with a good/new barrel and ammunition. I have several on my M1917 and P14s and they are great rear sights. Redfield did made a base mount for the M1917/P14 rifles to use their International target rear sights. You would have better luck find those in the UK or one of their commonwealth countries as they were popular on the M1917's older step brother the P14 in those countries.
    --fjruple

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchninja View Post

nicholst55 - never thought about potential crack. Have to find a place that does that? Once i get the action in hand, i'm going to my GS to discuss as well.

So I found out more of the story, my MOTHER-IN-LAW talked him down the $10 for me. I told my father-in-law to just buy it for the $40. Apparently they had a sign that everything was 50% marked and they said not on that item, so she goes in negotiation mode and gets the guy down $30. $10 big deal but still surprising but this is the same person that found a earily 70's Marlin 336 in 30-30 for my father-in-law at a garage sale that was never fired in perfect condition for $250 and talked the guy down to $150.........
    Your mother in law and my wife wouldbe a formidable team!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Check with Numrich ? Don't know if they have any, but I spent a long time browsing their stock inventory looking fo a butt stock for my 336 SC . Saw all kind of stocks for guns I have never seen. Just a suggestion. - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    You can get an Issue configuration Krieger Criterion barrel for that M1917
    for a reasonable price.
    beltfed/arnie
    That's what I had done to my 1917 Eddystone, my gunsmith was impressed with the ease of installation........he also cut the original barrel to remove it.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast