MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data PBcastco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uberti 1866 Yellow boy

Don't know if this will help any But I've noticed that the chambers in my Ruger Vaquero's are a bit larger than my Rifles or even my BlackHawks in the same chambering's.... I think Ruger must do this because they know the Vaquero's are more likely to be using reloads in Cowboy shoots..? Just a guess, But I have noticed a big difference in those chambers..
    ............(Lông Trắng)............
    (si vis pacem, para bellum)

Could be. My revolvers are Uberti 1875's and I've never had a stuck case in them. The reloaded rounds slide in and out of the rifle with no problems so it doesn't appear to be grossly undersize. I wondered if the cases needed annealing. I know it's not normally an issue with pistol cases, but......?

I've been searching the 'net to see if it's a known issue with these rifles, but so far it doesn't appear to be a problem. It's fairly unique to me, whatever it is.

(As an aside, I was recently diagnosed with Paget's Disease. When I did some research on it the two most common words that came up were "rare" and "extremely rare". Bit like trying to find someone who's had this same problem with an 1866 ).

Boolit Man
    Sorry to hear about you diagnosis. That does sound like a bad one. At least you have a beautiful rifle.

once you make a chamber cast of some kind you'll figure out what is going on.

Thanks, as my doc said if you're going to have a cancer this is probably the better one to have! After nearly 200 years they still don't know much about it, but it's been cut out and all's well.

I stripped the rifle (again) and polished the chamber. I couldn't feel any tight spots or roughness, I'm due to go shooting this weekend and one of the members has done a lot of gunsmithing so I'll see what he thinks.

Boolit Mold
    I have the Uberti 1866 (20" barrel) in 38spcl and love it.
    I have had it short stroked and worked by a cowboy smith and it is a pleasure to use. A few of the guys n gals I shoot with use the 1866 and I haven't heard of any problem like yours.
    Another site to try might be the US SASS site. They have a lot of people with a lot of experience with all the guns used in SASS.

Thanks for the info Tony, as I said it's a bit like my diagnosis, extremely uncommon, it seems. I find it hard to believe that I happen to have the only one with a "deformed" chamber, so at this stage I prefer to think it's most likely a brass issue. Just need to shoot it a bit more to isolate the cause.

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats -- I have one of these, the good news being the low price I paid for it, with the "bad" being the reason: purchaser had it standing in a gun safe, and managed to put two deep scratches in receiver brass, perpendicular to the rifle, almost 1/32nd inch deep! I polished it with Flitz, and it looks awesome, but... those scratches.

Reason I'm replying is I emailed Uberti web-site contact, and two days later a young lady replied to my query with the exact date it was manufactured. Mine is "A. Uberti, Brescia, Italy Model 1866 Yellowboy Carbine, imported by Stoeger, Accokeek, Md., 44-40 WCF lever action, 10 rnd., 19” barrel, s/n 96xxx. Made on Thursday, 17 July 2003."

If you have interest in actual date of yours... it may be worth contacting Uberti as I did.
    Good luck. I have done zero tinkering with mine; yes, it is heavy; and, it likes cast bullets.
    geo

Ouch! Those aren't scratches, George, they're grooves! Mine has 2013 stamped inside on the tang. Of course, you have to remove the stock to see it.

I'm inclined to believe some of your brass is worn out. I've had a Rossi rifle and a Ruger Vaquero in 44-40 and it does wear out, especially if you drop it on concrete.

Boolit Master

If you haven’t already, try posting the issue at sass net.com, it’s the cowboy action shooting society forum & see if any of those shooters have run into this problem

Went to the range and put about 60 rounds through it. Only had 3 tight ones, but they still came out with a bit of effort, so it looks like it's the brass that's the problem. I was doing quite well until towards the end, I loaded 10 into the mag, went to the firing line, levered the first round in, went bang and instant jam! The screw had fallen out of the loading gate spring and the spring was floating loose!!!!! I replaced the screw but it wouldn't hold, the thread was worn at the end of the (tiny) screw. Bloody soft metal they use!!! You'd think by now Uberti would be aware of the poor quality of their screws.

I think I might have to write to them about it, ruins what is otherwise a very nice product.

A fellow member had an 1873 there, so I tried fitting a couple of fired cases in, to see how they fitted in the chamber. No problems, felt the same as mine, and the powder blowby on his cases matched the blowby on mine (same side of the case) which I thought was interesting.

edit:a few hours later - made a new screw for the loading gate (had to be the smallest screw they use didn't it!!) and put on blue loctite. I'll leave it overnight and then cut off the excess thread and grind it smooth, it can't protrude into the receiver or it will scrape on the toggle.
    Last edited by dikman; 10-29-2017 at 04:47 AM.

Ok, for those who may be interested, I've been doing some reloading/shooting to try and figure out what's going on. I've kept this brass separate from the rest during cleaning and reloading and marked it for identification. I kept getting inconsistent results with it, some sticking and some not, so decided to try annealing it. Took it to the range today and first round fired but was tight to extract, second round was even tighter, third round I stopped! Emptied the mag and reloaded with another batch that I had been using for the revolver and it worked perfectly!!! More rounds and not a problem, so loaded the others into the revolvers and had no problems with them. There's definitely something funny about some of this brass, but I'll keep these apart and just use them in the revolvers, no big deal. A mate gave me some nickel loads that he uses and they worked fine in the rifle - which is good 'cos now I know that there's nothing wrong with my 1866 .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12