Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: S&w 57

S&w 57

Bought some guns today. Best one in bunch was this 57-1, 6" S&W. Had Pachmeyers
    on it when I got it, had to put some wood targets on it immediately. After markets
    but can't abide the plastic grips for more than 5 minutes. Other than that gun in very
    nice condition, also picked up another HE 32/20 this one a 4".Attachment 205020

Boolit Master
    I still kick myself for selling my Smith Model 57
    Best wheel gun I ever owned.
    I sold the 57 and bought a M-29.
    I did not like the 29 as much as I liked the 57.
    Sold the 29 and bought a M-27 with a 5" Barrel

Boolit Grand Master

Gorgeous! I'm a sucker for a good M-57/58/657.

Of course the 41 is my all time favorite

My 57-1 will let a Sierra .410 push through nicely on all throats.

Boolit Master

So far I have 3 S & W 586's. One was from a widow and this was a full race gun for bowling pins. It was really tight. The gap at the front of the cylinder was so small that after a half a box of ammo was fired I had to clean off the burnt powder because the cylinder would not revolve. That was a 6" bbl.

The next one I bought from a Police Officer in New Mexico. It also was a 6" model but of normal specifications and other than a worn finish it was a great buy, great shooter and I will never sell it.

The last is a 8 3/8" bbl on which I mounted a red dot scope and my wife loves it. She wanted one of her own and she is delighted.

I also have a New Old Stock S&W Model 57 with the 4" tube. I found it for sale on consignment w/my local gunnie. It was in the original box with all the normal stuff you get from Smith, cleaning rod, bore mop, tip for patches, instructions etc. It is a pinned barrel model with the counterbored chambers and the normal target trigger, sights and grips. It had never been fired. Since I bought it only cast boolits have gone down the tube so I will not have any issues with removal of copper etc.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    A 57-1 in 8 3/8 and a Dan Wesson 6" blued Monson mfg. in 41 as well.

Three44s

A 6" M57 in blue is one of my bucket list guns. By far my favorite magnum revolver cartridge.

I bought a 6" M57 back in the '70s. Beautiful revolver, but didn't shoot particularly well. A few years ago a friend suggested I let him recut the crown and throat. The bore was so far off center of the barrel that he must have cut a sixteenth of an inch into it before the cutter touched all the way around. Now it shoots great.

Boolit Master
    Nothing wrong with a 57 as long as you're a handloader. I have a 6" 657, traded a 4" 629 for it. Also a 58 and Ruger Bisley in .41. Just got a batch of 7 molds for the 41 from that auction site. Will have the .41 pretty well covered.

Even though I got a 57, 41mg I can't really see the point of them. They are kind of like a 16g
    shot gun, not much bigger than a 20g and not that smaller than 12g. If you have only one gun
    they are ok, but like a 16g shot gun they are kinda unpopular. This is one of those cases where
    it is true that what can it do that a 44mag won't do?Nothing and bullet weight to bullet weight
    the difference in recoil is very little if any. Like anything else that is scarce it makes them a quasi
    collectors items because of the number of them made.

Boolit Buddy
    I wanted to try a 41mag but I found all the reloading components are tough to get at a price that made it worth while. I just stick with my 686 and load it really hot.

Boolit Master
    Love the .41 mags. I have three, a 4" and a 6" Model 57, and my Henry BBS. I handload and it's a very versatile round, mild to wild it does anything I need. And I also have a 16 gauge double barrel with which I've taken more game than all my other guns combined. I bought the 16 gauge when I was 13 years old, taken hundreds of ducks, geese, partridge, grouse, pheasants, squirrels, rabbits, and even fox and coyote. Pretty much everything but a deer.

Boolit Master
    The 4" 57/657 is my favorite DA handgun of all time... That is a very nice 6"...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...rite-Cartridge

Bob