RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Making of a "garden gun"

Banned
    Steppapajon,

WILCO. = The last 2 Aussie cadet actions that I saw were in fair-poor condition BUT looked restorable into a garden gun action.
    (Wishing that I had been bright enough to buy both.)

Btw, I have "squirreled away" a NICE piece of black walnut, from a NETX sawmill, that would work for the furniture.

yours, tex

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    I think the Army at one time issued a .45-70 based shot shell for the old trap door rifles. To forage small game in the field.

I think it used a paper or hollow wood shot capsule.
    There were .44-40 based shotshells as well.

The .38/.357 snake loads are much like a garden gun load.
    They did, and the shells were for use in a smoothbore Trapdoor that was issued for foraging. I've yet to see one in the flesh, but a barrel from one was on Gunbroker a few years ago. I nearly bought it, but at that time I didn't need any more projects, and for once my self-control subroutine won out.

I have two Stevens Model 101s, but both have been reamed for .410 shells. I doubt they were ever fired much with factory ammo. Would have kicked hard, the gun being so light. I made some blackpowder loads in brass .410 cases I got from (I think) Dixie. Shot about half a dozen, then lost interest. Can say "been there, done that", and that's enough.

There's a .22 smoothbore Stevens Favorite going begging on Gunbroker right now.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    They should stay on the market for a while as StarLine has recently begun making them. Just get a good supply while they are available.

Just did a little math and using 1/2" OD drawn over mandrel .083" wall tubing and a R sized drill bit one should be able to make a .32 H&R version following the same basic steps as the 30/30 version. I think I have another project to procrastinate on. I am my own worst enemy.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234