Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: New pot for melting down WW

Boolit Man
    Grand Forks, ND, USA, NA, Northern Hemisphere, Planet Earth, Milky Way

New pot for melting down WW

I’ve been in need of a better pot for melting WW and pouring ingots. Ive been keeping an eye open for old cast or steel pots for the job, without luck. Then yeaterday I was browsing Walmarts camping section and found cheap 6quart cast iron dutch ovens for $17.82! Yes, I bought a new dutch oven to process WW, I havent found any used ones as cheap or useful!

Boolit Grand Master

Cast Iron works very well for smelting used one for years until I got in a hurry and started it with full burner going, rather than the normal 10 min lower heat warm up. I was getting everything else set up and heard a tink and lead leaking out the bottom. Give it 10-15 mins at a lower burner setting when starting a pot to give it a chance to warm and expand evenly and youll be fine.

Country gent beat me to it. Cast iron pots work great but warm them up slowly. I don't think there is a cheaper way to get a good smelting pot unless you cut down an old propane tank. I have both and use the dutch oven 90% of the time. Gawd, I'm getting gabby 1,000 posts. lol Gp

Bought one this spring, have not babtised it yet. Weather is about right though.

Boolit Man
    Grand Forks, ND, USA, NA, Northern Hemisphere, Planet Earth, Milky Way
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Bought one this spring, have not babtised it yet. Weather is about right though.
    Yep, the weather has me itching to get outside! There is wood to be split and WW to be melted!

Boolit Master

I have been very lucky with my cast iron dutch oven. I did not know about gently warming up the silly thing and I have yet to have a problem with it.

I will however hence always warm it up gently for 10 -15 minutes before I turn the control up. I usually leave an inch or two of alloy at the bottom of the pot when done. It makes getting started again a mite easier for me.

I probably should get a propane tank conversion as it will hold a much larger amount of alloy but that will probably require a modification to my turkey burner propane thingie. I would hate to have it collapse under the weight of a few gallons of molten alloy. So it is true even old pharts like me do learn something from time to time.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Grand Master

I've still got the Dutch oven that my Grandfather used for smelting. I don't use it much anymore preferring to do larger batches but it is convenient for smaller projects like melting solder.

Boolit Grand Master

I used mine for 4-5 years before ever having a problem. Older cast iron is maybe a little better as its slightly heavier than the newer versions. Cast Iron dosnt like uneven expansion so the gentle pre heat gives it a chance to heat evenly and get started slowly.

I'm using a cut down propane tank now as it works better for me and the group casting we do. There will be 3 of us around my pot. It hold 130 lbs or so of lead

when I first started melting lead for making bullets I used a cast iron pot I hit the side with the ladle and the side of the pot cracked leaked lead all over the carport (what a mess) I went to a steel pot and have never used anything but a steel pot ever sense that day just don't want the mess to clean up again D Crockett

I ran out and bought on of those WM pots and found my Coleman stove will not hold pressure.

I'm waiting on a pressure generator kit now.

Boolit Buddy
    Had the same Dutch Oven and it cracked after about 4 loads of range scrap. Took it back to Wal Mart and got a refund. Bought a Lodge Camp Stove (same but no feet on the pot). have run about 10 loads and no problems. The Ozark-Wal Mart brand is quite a bit thinner and I would routinely see cracked pieces on the shelf or broken handles after I took the cracked one back.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9-Walmart-find

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I used mine for 4-5 years before ever having a problem. Older cast iron is maybe a little better as its slightly heavier than the newer versions. Cast Iron dosnt like uneven expansion so the gentle pre heat gives it a chance to heat evenly and get started slowly.

I'm using a cut down propane tank now as it works better for me and the group casting we do. There will be 3 of us around my pot. It hold 130 lbs or so of lead
    I would like to see some pics of that event! lol

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Grand Master

I didn't take ny picks but it took a few hours melting and working to salvage the weed burners head that filled with lead. LOL. The pot cracked and it was leaking not a drip but not a flood either a trickle along the crack.

Banned
    I have cut two freon tanks, cut a ring and welded then on the bottom as a stabilizer. The metal is .050" thick, should hold up OK. Some say they are too thin. Haven't run across an old propane bottle yet.