MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 95 mauser conversion

LaMar: de Haas has nice illustration in his book Bolt Action Rifles showing the different tenons.

Kens: Here's a 93 in 35 Remington. Built this for my son as he likes knock over tin cans with authority (200gr LRN will do that) and he likes aperture sites. I had to fit an extractor blank to this bolt to get it to hold the smaller 35 Rem case. It feeds and shoots well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4188.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	208655

From the photo looks like you are using the extractor to hold the case back against the bolt face.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

MaLar: I suspect that TX by God has the case head-spaced on the back of the rim, much like a rimless case and the extractor is simply hanging out in the air in the space between the barrel tenon and the bolt. I put a 38-55 into a Type 38 Jap and this is how I did it. Normally one would head space on the rim for a rimmed or belted case. Mr. Mauser designed his action to have the web of the case hanging out in the wind, so there isn't really a rim to head space on. The extractor has simply go a hold of the rim for extraction. Does this help?

Thanks, Map. That is how I did it, I short chambered the barrel in the lathe, installed it, then reamed by hand until the bolt sans extractor would close on the headspace gauge. I originally thought I would need to keep the brass for this gun and my Win 94 seperate but they interchange perfectly. Fired cases from either one will fit the other. MaLar- I apologize if I seemed vague because I often am.
    Best, Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

..............This was my first SR Mauser conversion and is for the 7.62x39. Action was for a M1894 Brazilian 7x57 and was made by FN. The barrel came from Numrich as part of a kit they sold. In addition to the barrel it included a 'magazine blocker' (a piece of square nylon) and a new follower and spring. The follower was plastic and had a piece of oval shaped coil spring attached. At this late date I don't recall where the stock came from.

I ditched the plastic follower and cut down an original steel follower, but used the supplied spring. The brass looking piece is, oddley enough a piece of brass I silver soldered to the follower. It was used to keep the cartridges correctly staggered in the magazine. The original nylon magazine blocker was used. However recoil would cause it to migrate forward and bind up the follower. I ended up drilling a hole through the rear of the magazine box and screwing a flat headed wood screw into it. That took care of the 'migration' issue.

I did not any chamber gauges to use, but upon screwing the barrel to the action the left (long) bolt lug dragged on the end of the barrel. Turned out it was dragging on the faintly raised metal where they'd stamped 7.62 x 39 in 1/16" numerals. A couple file strokes and it was a done deal. The thing shoots exceeding well. Surprisingly to be honest. The barrel is .300 x .308" so I do not fire any surplus .312" ammo through it. In addition to the magazine blocker I welded and extension to the ejector. If left as issued when it kicked the empty loose it would hit the right side of the rear bridge and end up on top of the next round. The guide rib in the left receiver wall had to be ground away for a short distance.

The above was shot with the rifle in one of the first outings. It's the Lee 113gr 'Soupcan' 15.0 grs H4227 , 1754 fps at 50 yards.

The above is also another 1894 Brazilian Mauser action, but this one was made by Ludwig Lowe. It's chambered in 35 Remington. I had a gunsmith install and headspace the barrel. The stock is a Choate and was on sale for $39 at the time No magazine or ejector modifications were required. This one is also a very fine shooter.

The group of targets on the left was using some old Remington 200gr C-L soft points. I liked to use the Lee 148gr WC around the home place for ground squirrels. In fact the rear sight in the photo is set for that load at 50 yards. It didn't blow them up like a 223, but it'd sure anchor them for fair!

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.62x39mm Mauser 1903 turk 12-5-2017.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	208910

Before Randy Ketchum passed away 4 years ago, I went to his gunstore [he knew he was dying] and bought some stuff. A 7.62x39mm small ring Mauser barrel is one thing I got.
    I have had cases of SKS ammo lying around since the early 1990s.

I have 93, 94, 95 and 96 Mausers, but it looks like I put it on a 1903 Turk, which is a 98 Mauser that has small ring threads.
    I guess I should shoot it.

I asked GPC about those 7.62x39 barrels and was told they are out of stock. The nice lady on the phone didn't know when/if there would be more.
    Based on the one I have I'd like another for a 7.62x57mm project on a 98 Mauser.

Midway has 308 contoured barrels for ~$90.

My mentor built a 7.62x57 because Mauser never made one and he like the 57 mm case. He trimmed ~6 mm off of a 30-06 sizing die, formed cases out of 8x57 and ran a 30-06 reamer in short. It shoots well.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some fine looking rifles and work gentlemen.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by map55b View Post
    Midway has 308 contoured barrels for ~$90.

My mentor built a 7.62x57 because Mauser never made one and he like the 57 mm case. He trimmed ~6 mm off of a 30-06 sizing die, formed cases out of 8x57 and ran a 30-06 reamer in short. It shoots well.
    That's the answer to the .308v.30-06 argument. Teddy Roosevelt would have loved it. I want one.

Boolit Bub
    What about building a .338 Marlin Express on a Mauser 95 ?
    Design pressure seems ok at 46,500 PSI...
    Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
    re

Quote Originally Posted by Red Elk View Post
    What about building a .338 Marlin Express on a Mauser 95 ?
    Design pressure seems ok at 46,500 PSI...
    Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
    re
    Why not! You might need to open the bolt face a tad to accommodate the larger rim, but that's no big deal. The US loading for the 7x57 is in the 47K PSI range, so no issue there.

Boolit Master
    I've a Winchester 54 action which was setup as a 30-30 right from the factory. Straight regular box magazine. But all Winchester did was add two angled pieces of thick sheet metal one at the rear of the magazine and one at the front. I'd post pics but never learned how so even in the 21st century I remain hopelessly electronically challenged. The barrel has a flat breech with a raised ring around the chamber which is used to set the headspace and a section that goes around this that has been machined deeper. Standard old mauser style trigger and is not an over ride type like the older Model 70's. The cocking piece has a v shaped (mauser style) milled out so a commercial trigger cannot be used as the sear on the trigger gets caught in the recess. The fix would be to tig weld a piece in this recess and possible reharden the cocking piece. Frank

Samari46; do you have to stagger the rims when loading your 54 Win 30-30? It seems like you would have to- like on a Lee Enfield or my 1916 Spanish Mauser 30-30. The Krag always amazed me that you just dumped the shells in and the rifle sorted them out!

Boolit Master
    Yes I did have to stagger the rims to prevent rim lock. Just like the Lee Enfield rifles. One of the funny things on the mod 54 was/is that you can use 1903 or 1903A3 striker tips and the collar that keeps the firing pin on the firing pin rod. Was built in 1928. Had the bolt done many years ago by Griffen & Howe when they had their NY store at Abercrombie & Fitch. Now looks like a model 70 bolt handle all setup for scope usage. Haven't thought about this until I saw this thread. Frank

You should post pics, please.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12