Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: 357 160-180 Grain WFN Mold

Boolit Man

357 160-180 Grain WFN Mold

I'm looking for a good WFN mold. For my Ruger revolvers. Any one with a lot of experience loading NOE's 360-180 ?

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...dsubkd3sl9q6f4

Or the 360-160 WFN. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...dsubkd3sl9q6f4

My concern just looking at this boolit is it's heel & its lightweight when cast as a hollowpoint..... I'll be using wheel weights & lyman #2 Thanks, Jeff
    Last edited by Kawriverrat; 10-02-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Boolit Master

Assuming you're hunting with these, I'd just leave them as WFN, they'll get the job done.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

I've used this 360-180 WFN bullet to take three deer out to 125 yards. No hollow point needed, complete pass through. All deer dropped within 30 feet. With 12 grains of 2400 it runs 1470 fps out of a Ruger rifle.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Assuming you're hunting with these, I'd just leave them as WFN, they'll get the job done.

I completely agree. However I kind of like the idea of being able to change the weight by using the hollowpoint pins. Just gives me something else to tinker with & learn a bit....Jeff

I have several of the NOE RG2 moulds and I use the WFP the most. My thinking is that the heavier weight and the wide nose put more whack on the target. The HPs are fun on water jugs and the like though so it's nice to have the choice. Gp

Boolit Master

I have both molds. Mine are to cast 2 GC and 2 PB. I have moved into the camp that with WFN bullets, the HP is not needed for deer. The 160 with HP does a better job on coyotes than the solid. If you are set on using a HP go with the 180. It will lower the weight a bit and allow more velocity that will allow that HP to open up, but still have a big shank cruising along behind it should the mushroom sluff off. My Old Model Ruger and Cimarron Arms rifle don't seem to care whether I use GC or PB models. Lucky me.

I have the 360-160 WFN (non-HP) and it it wants to be driven pretty hard for best accuracy. Seems odd that a near-wadcutter responds very differently compared to a full WC. Beware that HP cast from straight WW will very likely shed the nose. Once you get over 1200fps cavity geometry becomes increasingly important to weight retention. I have recently been testing various .357 and .44 cast HP with Clear Ballistics gel and only the very conservative HP designs hold together with 20:1. I'd recommend adding some tin to the WW or cutting your Lyman #2 with pure lead.

I have two 360-180 WFN molds, one PB, one GC, The GC with check and lube scales at 187gr, the PB I sent off and had hollow pointed, it now throws a 160gr HP, the HP is only a varmint bullet in my estimation simply because the cavity is huge. I ordered it that way specifically for varmint eradication, very lethal indeed. The GC is a real hammer. I shoot mine from a rifle mostly.

Boolit Master
    Arsenal Molds has a very good 190gr FP you might consider,, shoots mighty good.

Boolit Master

Check out the 175 grain options under the Ranch Dog Molds section of the NOE menu. There's tumble lube, standard groove, PB and GC variants. When you hollowpoint them, you'd dropping to 160-ish grains - close enough to the old FBI 158 as to make little difference. A lot you could do with a mold like that.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.