Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scope keeps slipping

I clean the scope and rings with brake cleaner and then use clear glue that's found in Walmart's craft section, Duco Cement comes to mind. The very last stuff bought is Loctite Vinyl, Fabric & Plastic Flexible Adhesive at K-Mart. Both kinds are removed easily with brake cleaner or acetone. I don't shoot rifle, this is for hard kicking handguns...44 magnum and on up to BFR .475 L and .50 Alaskan Encore. Never, and I mean never had a scope slip using this method. After it sets, I push the excess that squeezes out with a wood tooth pick.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Where do I get rosin from? I cleaned all the surfaces before loctighting it. I think the rings are bottoming out before getting a firm grip on my scope.
    As others have said, make sure the ring halves aren't touching when tightened up.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    I ordered a jar from brownells and have more than I will use up in this life time. Luckily I keep finding new uses for it.
    I did the same thing, my grandkid will probably still have some in the jar to pass on.

Another place to get it is at a sporting goods store that deals in baseball supplies, that little white bag the pitcher plays with is a loosely weaved bag full of powdered rosin.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    before I threw out those rings, I would lap the flat until I saw only raw metal, then I would try the fit again, and I would repeat as needed until they were no longer bottoming out. I am 90% sure that that is the problem you are having. The hole is too large for you scope, so it lets recoil and Newton move your scope forward when you shoot.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

If the ring halves are together with no gap and screws cranked tight the only answer is the rings.
    They are oversize or out of round.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Half the bluing was removed when i lapped them in the ring closest to the barrel and a spot the size of a dime in the one by the bolt. I tightened them down with the supplied allen wrench to the point the screws will not move. I bet I'd snap the supplied wrench or round off the head if I tourqued harder. I have a socket set with the star torque heads. Since the rings are on back order I might try rosin if they carry it at the local dicks sporting goods. I'd like it in glue/gel form. When I get back in town from bear hunting ill make sure the rings aren't bottomed out. I'm pretty sure the front ring is.

Boolit Master
    Your first mistake was lapping the rings. IMO lapping is the culprit. It effectively removes all the rough areas and polishes the inside of the rings allowing scopes to slip.
    As others have mentioned, try rosin. If that fails try any type of liquid rubber cement.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Clean the rings then apply a small ring of Weldwood contact cement to the inside of the rings and put them on the scope and tighten them up. The cement will ooz out and after a few minutes take a toothpick and roll of the slight excess that oozes out and let set 24 hours.
    The rings can be removed in the future if you want to change scopes by some very slight leverage with a flat blade screwdriver with the flats taped to prevent marking. Then Cutex finger nail polish remover will remove the cement.
    Unless you get ignorant with the screwdriver you will not hurt the rings. Or the scope.
    I have installed rings on some hard and harder kickers and have never had a problem with slippage or scope removal when I want.
    I know, no one will believe this technique, but, it works and works well.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Your first mistake was lapping the rings. IMO lapping is the culprit. It effectively removes all the rough areas and polishes the inside of the rings allowing scopes to slip.
    As others have mentioned, try rosin. If that fails try any type of liquid rubber cement.
    It slipped before and after lapping.

Boolit Master
    electrical tape or take the top half of the rings and rub the mating surface over some fine wet and dry paper if the screws are bottoming out before they hold the scope firmly .

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I agree. Lapping is only needed for ring alignment, not clamping ability. It is oversold IMO.
    Just put some electric tape inside the rings.

Boolit Mold
    This is really helpful. I got the same problem too.

You can 'Mic' the scope tube if the Plasti-gauge test shows excessive clearance. Or you can just buy stuff until the problem goes away.

Seems most prefer option #2.

I called warne ting manufacturing co. today. The rep said there is no need to lap side mounted rings and said I wrecked them by doing so. He also said never to use loctite on the screws or rings. Also no adhesives like rosin. I was advised to tourque a the screws at 25 foot pounds evenly and the scope will never move. The rep is sending me another set of rings to try...in the quick release style. The other thing I believe I did...that the rep didn't ask is that I slid the rings toward the back side of the picanty rail instead of the front. My smith told me because the gun recoils to the rear it's causing slippage? Byways, both the bottom half of the rings are bottomed out but the top half is not.

Yes, the gun recoils rearward and the scope is slipping forward because it isn't secure. When you get your new rings, I'll be glad to take the "ruined" ones off your hands if you're going to toss them!

When I removed the rings they were all the way foward...I would assume moved foward from the recoil and caused the slip. I own a steelman inch pounds tourque wrench. The lowest setting is 30 inch pounds. Warne told me 25 inch pounds...I would assume 30 will work fine? I tried it and 30 seems awful light. I bet I had the rings tightened down over twice as hard by hand.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-02-2017 at 07:28 PM.

They may be ugly and un-tacticool; but I've never seen the classic Weaver rings slip!

Boolit Grand Master
    If you can get some, try a piece of golf club grip tape on the top half. Sticky on both sides and will hold. Tuff to get off though so put it right where you want it when tightening the screws. Alcohol will remove it or a hair dryer set on hot with soften it to remove it, then clean with alcohol

Boolit Master
    I'd skip the tape, rosin, etc and get a set of rings that work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12