MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I trimmed a BUNCH of .357 Mag brass

Boolit Buddy
    I trim my straight wall cases for my cast bullets as well . I also want a consistent crimp . Good thing that I only trim for 38 and 44mag .

Boolit Grand Master
    I never saw the life changing and group tightening results from trimming handgun brass. Others who shoot better, and I'm no slouch, nay see a difference. Some of my untrimmed were much better than the trimmed groups. May manifest itself with some sort of machine rest.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I didn't like trimming either until my wife got me a Lee Quick Trim for Christmas. The thing is fantastic.

https://leeprecision.com/quick-trim/
    I also use one of those with a Cordless Screwdriver < $10 for rifle brass, saves on the wrist. similar to

https://www.amazon.com/Decker-AS6NG-...ss+Screwdriver

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Sooner than later most of us have to deal with this unpleasant task...I figured that a 'wee little bit' of automation might ease the pain.
    You can buy these drill motor attachments, this un's homemade.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I never saw the life changing and group tightening results from trimming handgun brass. Others who shoot better, and I'm no slouch, nay see a difference. Some of my untrimmed were much better than the trimmed groups. May manifest itself with some sort of machine rest.

Shiloh
    For me it is a big difference in auto pistols to keep the crimp in the same place on the bullet.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

In the early sixties, long before Starline, I used a Wilson case trimmer to convert a batch of 44 Special to 44 Russian. Had to get a special case holder from Wilson, but it also works for 44 Mag and 44 Special.

I only ever trimmed a couple hundred with the hand crank before ordering the drill adapter for my Lyman trimmer. The lyman trimmer has been used so much over the past 25 years the bearing needs replaced as do the chuck internals. So I bought a Forester trimmer and made sure to get the power adapter from the get go. Trimmed 250 cases yesterday and didn't think it was as big of a PITA as deburring. Looking at one of the case prep centers now.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Yep, Trimming sucks...but I trim every fired piece of brass. I claim it's why I shoot tighter groups than any of my buddies.

I've not been able to get out to the shop for almost a year now. And I've got a 5 gallon bucket full of 45 acp brass to trim... Oh the joys of reloading. I'm just happy I've shot as much as I have over the years.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Master

I have never heard of anyone trimming .45 ACP.

I trim mostly my match brass. But when I buy "range brass" I trim it all the first time that I load it. I use that time to sort it also. I get a lot of "duds" thrown it too. Cracked necks and Berdan primers and such.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Master
    trimming brass is no problem gone through couple thousand. I do them in the mill.

I started trimming my 357 brass and don't mind it too much. I ended up finding some of the short Hornady brass in my stash, so it was worth the time & effort.

While I have never trimmed a handgun caliber brass in my life, I trim all my rifle brass each and every firing.
    Since I shoot full auto, I would not like to blow up an expensive M16 or HK51 due to excessive pressures.
    No thanks. I would rather take the time and be safe. You get to inspect each and every piece of brass when you trim and chamfer/debur.
    Hey - winters are long here in NH - what else you gonna do?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master
    I went through a spell when I was active in the metallic cowboy rifle silhouette game where in I was trimming and reloading hundreds of the 30-30"s every month. I was loading for myself, my daughter and my daughters boyfriend to the tune of 400-600 rounds a month for 4 different rifles, so all had to be resized to factory minimum to enable them to fit any of the 4. I used a forster and a hand crank and I am surprised my right arm did not end up looking like Popeye's. I despise trimming brass.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Trimmed another 200 or so pieces to 30 Carbine today. Hated every minute of it.

There's gotta be a better way....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Hey - winters are long here in NH - what else you gonna do?
    Darn, are you that old that you've forgotten?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123