Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: new taurus tracker 357 mag

Boolit Buddy

new taurus tracker 357 mag

its been quite a while since ive posted nor have I even had much time to even read up on forum in a while . been a busy summer with work and projects around the house, didn't even get much range time in over the summer . so I'm getting back into the swing of things now making time for the range , I decided I wanted another 357 mag . like an idiot I sold my s&w 686 to a coworker a while back and regretted it almost instantly. I still had my 357 ruger Blackhawk and a while back I picked up a new 6 inch ruger gp100 . the Blackhawk is an awesome shooter but the gp100 so far seems to be total ****. so I run across this Taurus the other day its a model 627 tracker in 357 mag with a 6 inch ported barrel (yea I know Taurus this ,Taurus that junk junk whatever) ive had Taurus guns in the past that have been perfect and functioned flawlessly and ive had junkers brand new out of the box . so I decided to take a gamble on this tracker I got it for a little over 400 new in box . I had 1st range outing with it yesterday shooting at 25 yrds bench rested . after 1st cylinder full I looked through my spotting scope ,not a single hole in the target. I was ready to put it back in the box and take it back where I bought it from and muttered a few choice words under my breath . so I loaded 7 more rounds in it and walked downrange to about 6/7 yrds and fired 2 rounds both were cutting the bull so I stepped back about mid range and fired 3 or 4 more rounds all on paper but way low . so I went back to my bench and here the rear sight was adjusted the whole way down and almost all the way to left . so I adjusted ,sot a few ,adjusted ,shot a few getting a bit better each time . ive got more fine tuning to do but its getting there it deffinatly out performs my gp100 and its nipping at the blackhawks heals . I put a bit of everything through it ,factory ammo , 125 gr xtp, my own 158 gr swc cast ,and finally some of my pet plinker load powdercoated 105 gr swc over 4.6 gr of pb . those light loads out of the 6 inch ported barrel was almost like shooting a 22 . all and all I'm pretty happy with it my biggest complaint now is most of my revolvers over the years have been 6 shot I usually count in my had as I shoot and almost always forget to fire that 7th shot .
    Last edited by sandman228; 10-08-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a few Taurus handguns and all are well-built work horses.
    I only own 2 bottom-feeders, a PT99 and a PT1911. Both are solid firearms.

I also own several Taurus wheel guns and all are keepers.
    I don't have a Tracker model, but I do have a 607 (7-shot .357mag 4" ported barrel), a model 605 (5-shot .357mag 2" barrel total titanium), an M327 (.327fed/mag 6-shot 2" barrel), a Judge (4" barrel 2-1/2" chamber .45Colt/.410 bore), a model 445 (.44spl 2" ported barrel), and finally a Raging Bull (5-shot .454 Casull 8-3/8" ported barrel).

The 607 and the Raging Bull have both put venison in my freezer.

I've learned to stay away from the Taurus poly lines, but their wheel-guns and the steel framed semi's are good to go.

I own a Taurus 627 Tracker just like yours. It shoots as accurately as anything I own. I have put several thousand rounds through it during the several years I have owned it and never a problem.

Boolit Master

I have a Taurus PT809 and I love it. I have been eye balling Raging Bull or Tracker for a couple years. Wife wouldn't let me until last weekend when I....uh.... met Yogi in the woods and we walked back to my truck together. She gave me the go ahead and to start saving.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I have always been tempted by the Taurus Tracker line, but getting a good one seemed like playing the lottery. Seems Ruger is just as bad these days...

Boolit Grand Master

Had a 7 shot that eventually went out of time and was spitting lead back at me. It went down the road. Overall I found the ones I've had very serviceable but could find rough machining marks if I looked hard enough. Sure would like to come across the 41 Tracker titanium one day for a reasonable price.

Boolit Master
    Another satisfied tracker 7 shot owner here. One of the more comfortable shooting 357's I own, the rubber grip looked goofy but it sure works a treat. Sure it's no Smith or Ruger but I've been satisfied with it and at the time it was a steal in comparison. Even my wife will touch off a few magnum rounds from it.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have Trackers in 357, 41 and 44. Good guns, reliable and easy to shoot. Screw them???? I think not.

Boolit Grand Master

From the Taurus website

Tracker 357 Mag 7 shot 4" barrel
    Wt: 28.8 ounces
    Ht: 5.4"
    Width: 1.531"
    Length: Not Given
    Frame: Compact

Model 66 357 Mag 7 shot 4" barrel
    Wt: 38 ounces
    Ht: 5.68"
    Width: 1.496"
    Length: 10.5"
    Frame: Medium

Banner Sponsor

I have the 6.5" 454 Raging Bull and really like it. When I first got it the chambers had a swell in them and fired brass was terrible to get out. I sent it back and 2 weeks later had a new cylinder and they did an action job while it was there. Now the action is smooth and very crisp. I put a scope on it with the Taurus mount and it will hold 1.5" groups at 50 yds with 320-350s at 1350. I like it and have no plans of trading it off.
    Doc44 has a Tracker in 41mag and it is a great little gun. Very easy to hit what you are aiming at and it's light enough to pack on your hip all day and not get in the way.