MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster For Carry Gun

Boolit Master

Holster For Carry Gun

Not sure that holsters fit in this section but figured I would get better answers here. I have both S&W Shield in 9mm & .45ACP. I have been looking into Alien Gear holsters, I had never considered synthetic materials before but these look like they would serve well.

The one that is attracting me is called ShapeShifter. Very flexible. Only problem is that they don't offer a shell for the .45. They do say that it is "probably" not far off, so I could add it later.

Any comments on AlienGear would be welcomed.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Holster For Carry Gun

I never found any synthetic material to be comfortable in an IWB style holster. The adaptable and convertible holsters are a cool novelty, but the reality is you will find what works for you and stay that way.

My personal recommendation is a Lobo Leather IWB belt loop holster. Splurge the extra money for horse hide and you won't regret it.

http://lobogunleather.com/iwb-inside...iwb-belt-loop/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 09-30-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Any IWB holster which does not permit one-hand reholstering is a non-starter.

If you carry different guns at different times in different holsters, you are getting yourself up for a big fail.

The only concealment holster I have used for over 30 years is the El Paso Saddlery C-Force, which they make to fit anything from pocket autos and snubbies to full-sized M1911s and N-frame Smith 29s.

http://epsaddlery.com/product/c-forc...force-holster/

Get one for every gun you will carry. Affordable and Made In USA. The gun is always in the same place, no gun and holster of the week quandry...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I have an Alien, but I prefer my new Cook's. Better build quality, less bulk and their multi mount models come with hardware and holes to carry any way you can imagine.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master

Have you considered a holster with leather and kydex?

I have a Crossbreed Supertuck for my XDS and it works and wears well.

The reports I've heard on alien are hit and miss.

A good leather holster is expensive but also lasts.

Midway also has their holster finder. Peruse that and it will give you a general idea of what's out there

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    I have an Alien, but I prefer my new Cook's. Better build quality, less bulk and their multi mount models come with hardware and holes to carry any way you can imagine.
    Never heard of Cook's. I'll check it out.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Be sure to use a belt made out of as heavy hide as possible, double stitched. The greatest holster on a flimsy belt will never suit you.

I use Greg Kramer's Pro Line leather exclusively and did so for decades as a peace officer too. I carry guns heavier that the S&W Shield comfortably with Pro Line Leather holsters and belts.

+1 on the El Paso C-Force. I have a couple that I use including one for a CZ-85. They are comfortable wearing, gun is always in the same place, you can re-holster one handed, and a large gun (like my CZ) hides easy under a T shirt. It is the only IWB holster I will use anymore.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post

The reports I've heard on alien are hit and miss.

A good leather holster is expensive but also lasts.

Midway also has their holster finder. Peruse that and it will give you a general idea of what's out there
    I carry the crossbreed super tuck as well, always on my right side in similar spots. My OTB holster for bersa goes in the same spot and draws the same. The leather for the supertuck did take a few times of sweating in it to loosen up and shape to my frame better. Now it is pretty comfortable as long as I'm not driving for 4 hours.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Don't own an Alien, but I like what I hear from two good friends that each have a couple. Only thing I hear is that it's a pain to take them off, but they're so comfortable you forget that you're wearing them.
    Just purchased a Talon for my Sig P938, and I couldn't be happier with it. Really impressed with the American made "Tuckable" holster. I have to mingle with an upper class "Artsy" crowd a few times a year. This thing doesn't move at all and I can tuck in the shirt too boot. Makes it very handy, pun intended.
    I have also never heard of El Paso Saddlery before this thread. Color me impressed. Going to get one for my CZ-85. Any of their models work better than the others?

Boolit Grand Master

AlienGear are very hot. So if you live in a warmer climate it may be a deal breaker. I use their OWB for a G20 more than the IWB I have for a PPS. I've never been able to get it to the point where I don't know it's there. I have gotten to the point where I had to take it off immediately because it was to darn hot and uncomfortable. Crossbreed Supertuck is next on my list to try. Should have started w/ the one but I feel for the adaptability of the AlienGear.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagamor View Post
    Don't own an Alien, but I like what I hear from two good friends that each have a couple. Only thing I hear is that it's a pain to take them off, but they're so comfortable you forget that you're wearing them.
    Just purchased a Talon for my Sig P938, and I couldn't be happier with it. Really impressed with the American made "Tuckable" holster. I have to mingle with an upper class "Artsy" crowd a few times a year. This thing doesn't move at all and I can tuck in the shirt too boot. Makes it very handy, pun intended.
    I have also never heard of El Paso Saddlery before this thread. Color me impressed. Going to get one for my CZ-85. Any of their models work better than the others?
    http://talonholsters.com/talon-tucka...r-iwb-holster/

Is that similar to your tuckable model? That's been a complaint of mine for my current bersa holster wonder if this would be a good replacement. Sorry for the thread-jack.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

We have open carry now so comfort is better. Before that I used DeSantis Sof tuck IWB in our microwave climate for a 9mm Shield and a P97 Ruger. Sweatstained and formfitted; inexpesive and works. On the farm I use butt forward strong side Mexican carry. YMWV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have been using a bianchi iwb for 20 years now for my browning h-p.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post

I too use a Supertuck and like it so much it will be my only IWB holster. Quality is great, great warranty and they offer a LEO/military discount.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    I have a Crossbreed Mini Tuck for my Shield, and it is VERY comfortable after the break in period. The big thing to me in an IWB holster is that it be rigid enough to not collapse when the gun is drawn, that makes re holstering a pain.

Boolit Master
    I have too great a love for leather to switch to Kydex. Never was comfortable with a IWB holster when I was skinny, medium or now that I'm fat. This is the last holster I bought...

https://www.tuckerandbyrd.com/prodde...p?prod=fp-tb-1
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

I hope the post keep coming. I've about been convinced that I should try to make my best decision on a different holster for each of the S&W Shields(9mm & .45ACP). Hopefully, one will be best and the other not too bad. Then I can get some experience with both before I sink any more $$. Maybe both will be good.

I appreciate all the posts with real experience. Thanks, dragon813gt, I might not have found out about Alien being hot for several months.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Just so you know in a smaller guy at 5'9" 145#. Maybe my issue is because the holster covers a greater percentage of my body. But I have heard the same complaint a few other times. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying any brand. Because holsters are more person dependent then even the gun selection.

Boolit Master

OK! So it may work for 6'1" 205#. Yours wasn't the only caution. I went back and looked at the Alien Gear site. The "Shape Shifter" concept looked a little bit complicated. Not sure complicated is good. I've always been more impressed by "simple that works".
    John
    W.TN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast