MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone bored the Yildiz .410 for a barrel stub?

Boolit Master
    You guys will be glad you kept the 410 barrels, durn things make you giggle like a kid ! I have 2 and almost bought another last week, would have but going a Stevens 530a SxS. May pick up one of the Yildiz 12s if they go on sale. Really well put together guns for less than 150$ new, about 100 times better than anything else in that realm!
    Looking forward to the build thread, I got sidetracked on mine. Maybe you'll get me re movatied!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

That 12 gauge will need a Limbsaver on it but would be a delight walking miles and miles while pheasant hunting!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I hear you, I handled it in the store. It's light, like 5# ish light but fit is good. So tempting, resist resist..
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

OK guys, here's the Hatfield youth broken down with specs. Ask me if there is anything you want measured.

OAL: 34"
    LOP: 13"
    BBl length: 20"
    Weight: 4lb, 4oz
    BBl'ed Action: 3lb, .07oz
    Monoblock(MB) length: 2.545"
    MB thickness: 1.20"
    BBl diameter: Most of taper is done 3.5" from MB
    muzzle: .590"
    1/2 way: .615"
    at MB: .785"

.410 Chamber: .475" ~.5" in--as far as my dial caliper would reach
    Rim cut: .546"
    Muzzle ID: .408"

My barrel blank is chambered for .38spl and is a straight .572" diameter from chamber to muzzle, 21" long. I thought it might look funny with no taper but the only way you notice is with the fore end on looking down at the barrel resting in the fore end seeing the gap between the barrel and stock near the MB.

I want to have a MB made and thread my bbl blank into it, save the .410 bbl. No extractor, just a scallop big enough to get my thumbnail under the case head.

Something I noticed that made me happy was that the trigger guard could be replaced with a fabricated one shaped like a falling block guard. The factory one breaks the action by being slid straight to the rear by being squeezed on the front. The rear hook on a falling block shaped one would allow the guard to be slid to the rear easily and the trigger guard screw would fit where the rear hook meets the bottom of the receiver like my Stevens Favorite below. This thing would look sharp with the falling block style lever and fore end reshaped with a schnabel.

Last edited by steve urquell; 02-06-2018 at 03:10 PM.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

steve urquell,

The seller on eBay that sells the liners/ barrels like to have has great prices on his products.
    A couple of years ago I bought 3 - 4 of his 21" barrels in .451 bore and with one I made a 45 Colt single shot rifle for a friend from a Remington Spartan/ Baikal 410 shotgun. I did a long stub like Texas by God is doing and it's a great little rifle. With another one I cut it in two lengths and rebarreled 2 Hi Point JHP pistols in 45 ACP with threaded muzzles and with another I made a couple removable chamber adapters for shotguns one in 20 ga. and one in 12 ga. one was a 45 ACP and the other was a 45 COLT. All of those projects shot very well.
    Your choice in the 38 special should work really well. I have a old Stevens tip up shotgun from the 1880's that I bought as a wall hanger that needed a lot of work and after fixing a broken stock and a few other issues I put a liner in the barrel and chambered it in 38 special, It's a neat gun !

Looking forward to seeing the progress on your project !

Jedman

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    Is there a sticky or thread I am missing on these single shot shotgun to look rifle conversion? I am interested beyond belief...one in 38spc or 9mm would be some kinds of fun

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    Look at the H&R Handi Rifle forum on Graybeard Outdoors. There are lots of threads about converting to pistol cartridges or non-standard rifle calibers, some using cut down shotgun barrels, some using rifle barrels, and some on making monoblocks for the new barrel.

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, Back when the Obama-ammo scare was in full force. I too had a Yildez 410 converted to 32 mag. I had the barrel stubbed by a guy on Greybeards. He grafted a stainless 30/06 Rem take off barrel on. So I have to watch how fat my loads are ( 308 rifling ).

It has a Skinner Low-Pro peep, with a home made ft ramp. I had the barrel cut even (18-19'') with the folded stock. A Lee "Soupcan", 32 S&W long is a lot cheaper than 22LR. A lot more effective on bunnies too! And, yea those Yildez sure have some pretty wood on them for how cheap they sell. Randy.

Boolit Man
    Steve Urquell, That is a nice looking Favorite.
    Oklahoma. Quite possibly the reddest state in the U.S.A. 77 counties, 2 elections, and not a single one went for B.O. Uh make that 3 elections, we didn't care much for Hillary either.

I have a H&R Handi rifle with a 9mm stub job barrel bought on GBO.

1.5 to 2" average group size at 100y. Tight enough to kill anything you want to kill.

125 gr rnfp from the lee .358 mold tends to cast just a smidge big at .359-.360.

No issues with those in any of my 9mm guns. And they instantly stopped 2 of them from keyholing and shotgun patterns.

3-4 grains of Red Dot makes a nice inexpensive load with plenty of punch.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by sixgunner452 View Post
    Gentlemen, Back when the Obama-ammo scare was in full force. I too had a Yildez 410 converted to 32 mag. I had the barrel stubbed by a guy on Greybeards. He grafted a stainless 30/06 Rem take off barrel on. So I have to watch how fat my loads are ( 308 rifling ).

It has a Skinner Low-Pro peep, with a home made ft ramp. I had the barrel cut even (18-19'') with the folded stock. A Lee "Soupcan", 32 S&W long is a lot cheaper than 22LR. A lot more effective on bunnies too! And, yea those Yildez sure have some pretty wood on them for how cheap they sell. Randy.
    Any pics would be appreciated. Thanks!

I could swear I heard a Yildiz 12 ga. folder whisper "I want to be a 50-70 Govt." At Academy the other day....

Boolit Master
    Go for it, a Yildiz Buffalo Rifle would be cool.

Boolit Buddy

jandbj, here are a couple pics of my 32 mag Yildiz.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	223313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	223311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	223312

I am not a rich man, so when I went in to Big5, and bought a 410 Yildz; sawed off barrel and sent to my gunsmith it was a scary moment.

But, I was very pleased with the results. I mentioned earlier, mine has a stainless Rem take off barrel 308'' specs, not true 312.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by sixgunner452 View Post
    jandbj, here are a couple pics of my 32 mag Yildiz.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	223313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	223311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	223312

I am not a rich man, so when I went in to Big5, and bought a 410 Yildz; sawed off barrel and sent to my gunsmith it was a scary moment.

But, I was very pleased with the results. I mentioned earlier, mine has a stainless Rem take off barrel 308'' specs, not true 312.
    Looks like exactly what I hope to do. Thanks for the pics!

Boolit Master

The "scallop for thumb nail" extractor concept has caught my attention. I never thought of that before. I have to pick up a 20 ga single that I won on Gunbroker for cheap and get busy. I am thinking 357 or 38 and am looking at the barrel liners I have seen on ebay.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy

frkelly74, that sounds like a good start. Numerich is a good place too. The guy who did my conversion is a man on GB's Outdoors forum. He says he has done literally hundreds of them. Mainly pistol calibers. Randy.

Boolit Buddy

frkelly74, 38/357 would be a great caliber, especially if you handload. If you do not, 9mm might be the way to go. Cheap bulk, NATO ammo. I believe Texas by God went that route on one of his conversions. Randy.

Thanks to all who have replied and sixgunner thats an awesome rifle. Id love to see a closed side pic of it.

I havent done anything to mine yet. Haven't gotton with my buddy's dad yet. I have a question tho regarding the factory extractor. I intend to do the scalloped chamber and won't need an extractor. Removing the factory one will leave ~.75" of chamber open at the bottom. Do I need to weld the factory extractor to the barrel before boring it or will it be OK to just leave it open where the factory extractor cut is?
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Buddy

steve urquell, that is a question best left to the Pro's. I will try to get ya a pic. Randy.

SG452- that little gun is so cool! The quick adjust peep? I want one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast