MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone bored the Yildiz .410 for a barrel stub?

Has anyone bored the Yildiz .410 for a barrel stub?

I'm looking to turn .410 into a .38spl rifle using the boring/epoxy route. I already have a .560" OD bbl chambered for .38 spl bought from ebay. I love the Yildiz but the aluminum reciever and steel barrel have me worried. I've seen the one someone made a monoblock for but haven't seen anything on using the factory reciever.

Anyone done this?
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

The aluminum receiver should have a steel recoil insert surrounding the firing pin. I would proceed with confidence and that will be a very neat rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The aluminum receiver should have a steel recoil insert surrounding the firing pin. I would proceed with confidence and that will be a very neat rifle!
    Thanks for the reply. I'm excited at the prospect of a 3.5lb plinker with a suppressor attached--threading the muzzle 1/2-28. Should be darned near silent with light loads.
    I was more curious about how the steel barrel attaches to the reciever and how that might affect boring it. If it screws in I would remove it. Not sure how to proceed in regard to this.

I've handled a Yildiz folding .410 if that's the gun you are referring to. The barrel is probably silver soldered into the monobloc but I don't know this for a fact. Search "Stub job" and you'll find answers. A couple of threads are active on this subject now. I've not done one but that may change in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have one with a new monoblok. The reciever is 7071 aluminum. The monoblok is steel and attached to the reciever via a pivot pin/screw. The pin slides in and is NOT ( Corrected, i just checked, sorry for the bad info)threaded, the other end is tapped for a short screw with a head matching the pin head. This is how the pivot tension is adjusted. Not sure how the actual barrel is affixed to the monoblok, I wanted to keep my 410 intact. Breach face in reciever is a steel insert and firing pin bushing. I think the trigger can be improved, just haven't gotten rountoit. They are a real bargain with great fit and finish. Also have a 12 ga frame now, suspect you might know it when you touch one off in that! Would make up a nice 30wcf
    Last edited by rking22; 02-05-2018 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Pin not threaded
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I have one with a new monoblok. The reciever is 7071 aluminum. The monoblok is steel and attached to the reciever via a pivot pin/screw. The pin slides in and is threaded near the head, the other end is tapped for a short screw with a head matching the pin head. This is how the pivot tension is adjusted. Not sure how the actual barrel is affixed to the monoblok, I wanted to keep my 410 intact. Breach face in reciever is a steel insert and firing pin bushing. I think the trigger can be improved, just haven't gotten rountoit. They are a real bargain with great fit and finish. Also have a 12 ga frame now, suspect you might know it when you touch one off in that! Would make up a nice 30wcf
    This helps tremendously! Thank you. For some reason I thought the Yildiz monoblok was aluminum. Since it is steel I'm not worried about it. A friend of mine's dad has the lathe and will do the bore job and muzzle threading for me. I'll epoxy it in and solder the forend lug on, drill and tap it for sights.

I love the look of the Yidiz 12 gauge with the nickel receiver. That thing swings like a dream. Make mine in .44 spl please. 16" bbl

Boolit Master
    Glad to be of assistance. This comes up regularly, how bout doing a build along thread for posterity
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Glad to be of assistance. This comes up regularly, how bout doing a build along thread for posterity
    I will. Getting ready to buy the shotgun. I'll post up a pic heavy thread on it.

Boolit Master
    The Yildiz single shot with its slim barrel looks like a good candidate for a removable bore liner.
    A liner could have the breech end turned to the proportions of a 410 shell and the muzzle end protrude a half inch or more and be threaded for a muzzle ring. A replacement ejector would complete the process.
    If a .38 bore made the liner to thin at the muzzle for threading a .32 S&W Long liner would work. Either would make for a good Rook rifle.
    A .32 liner threaded at the muzzle should be sturdy enough to mount a suppressor. With an 18+ inch barrel such a combination would be as silent as they get.
    The gun could then be quickly restored to use as a .410 when desired.

Cashed in gift cards may lead to something but it's going to stay a .410 for a while. I had to have it afterall.

Boolit Master
    Lots of youtube videos on how to fix these up, along with the Hatfield single shots. I really don't need another projects, but my lil badgers need a mate in the duffle bag. Hope to see your build as it progresses. Todd/3leg

The fit and finish of this little shotgun is amazing for the price.
    Plus if you have a problem, warranty work is handled by Briley of Houston. I'm having a blast with mine.

I plan on picking up a Yildiz 410 when I am in Oklahoma in a few weeks from now. I hope the Academy store there will sell me one being I am from out of state. I tried to buy one a couple years ago at a Academy store in Georgia and they would not sell it to me for that reason.

I plan on removing the barrel and studying the underlug to see how difficult it would be to make one and if doable make a spare rifle barrel in a small pistol caliber such as 32 S&W long ?
    It would be a nice pinker and as cheap to shoot as 22 LR with cast bullets.

Jedman

[ATTACH=CONFIG]212853[/ATTACHWell I just got back from a trip where I was able to acquire 2 of the Yildiz shotguns.
    They sure have pretty wood for a low priced shotgun.
    It will be a while before I can start working on them but it looks like I will leave the 410 barrels intact and just make new monoblocks for the rifle barrels. One may become a 45 cowboy barrel,
    The brass is rimmed same as a 45 Colt but same length as the 45 ACP and the 410 extractor fits perfect. These are nice guns and so light almost toy like.

Jedman

I kept looking at the Yildiz and Hatfield .410s online. Handled the Yildiz at Academy and had planned on buying one when Academy had a sale. Went to Cabela's yesterday and a little Hatfield youth was on the new guns rack with $130 price tag on it. I had points on my Cabela's Visa and got this for $40 out the door.

Pics don't do these guns justice. It's really tiny. 34" overall length, 4lbs 3oz. Receiver is nickel plated steel. I like the external hammer although the trigger needs work. I bought a .38spl chambered barrel off e-bay when I started this thread. Just need to get these to my buddy's dad for the machining work.

Are the Hatfields Turkish made?
    That's gonna be a cool gun when you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Are the Hatfields Turkish made?
    That's gonna be a cool gun when you are done.

Yep. Made in Turkey. The wood isn't as figured as the Yildiz but still looks better than any cheaper wood stocked US gun I've seen in 20yrs. The Hatfields look terrible on the online sellers websites. This gun looks nice in person.

Boolit Master
    Is there a sticky or thread I am missing on these single shot shotgun to look rifle conversion? I am interested beyond belief...one in 38spc or 9mm would be some kinds of fun

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    Is there a sticky or thread I am missing on these single shot shotgun to look rifle conversion? I am interested beyond belief...one in 38spc or 9mm would be some kinds of fun

Unfortunately not John. I've read everyone I could find with web searches and haven't found a single one detailing a build. I will make this thread a build thread as I go.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    Unfortunately not John. I've read everyone I could find with web searches and haven't found a single one detailing a build. I will make this thread a build thread as I go.
    You'd make a friend out of me if you did! As a caster/tinkerer a long barrel rook rifle in a small caliber would be very neat. By the time a 38 spl got down 20 inches of barrel it'd be real quiet on its own...I mean relative to a 2 1/2 snubby revolver...I'd love to know what I can be looking for in parts and what I will need machinist help for

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast