RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman all American turret press knurled cap stuck

Boolit Bub

Lyman all American turret press knurled cap stuck

At first I didn't know about the set screw and messed up the threads. After removing it I stupidly assumed screwing it back down it would kinda fix the threads. Anyway after removing the knurled cap I checked it out to see what needed to be cleaned up and re-lubed, I screwed the cap down, apparently way too tight. I went to unscrew it with some 99% industrial isopropyl and some new grease, but a pipe wrench, heatgun, and everything else I could think of, I couldn't get the cap to unscrew, when it does turn, the turret turns with it(the turret won't turn on it's own, only with great force while trying to unscrew the knurled cap with the pipe wrench). I'm thinking of removing the press from the bench, putting the turret in a vice, then heating the **** out of the knurled cap with a propane torch and trying to unscrew it while the turret is immobilized, but I'm not sure if this is the way to go... does anyone have any idea of what I can do? I put ldpe high viscosity oil on the threads before I screwed it down and overtightened it, but that didn't seem to do anything...this was my favorite press and I was just trying to do some 30 year overdue maintenance, and now it's completely unusable. I just don't know what to do. If I could get a replacement cap I'd cut a vertical line along the knurled cap to try and loosen it then use a file to clean the threads, but I can't find parts anywhere.

Boolit Bub
    I have one of those presses and use it on a monthly basis it works very well. At this point I think you're going to have to cut off the cap otherwise you're going to risk completely ruining the entire press. I would say there's a good chance you could probably use some type of nut after you cut the cap off. Good luck. If need be I would be willing to disassemble my press if it would help you see how things go together again, to help prevent futher damage but I would not be able to do it till Sunday.

Boolit Master
    Sometimes you just have to toss them away
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    take a dead blow hammer [harber freight has cheap} and put old leather belt around the top nut . dont heat and tap as you put pressure on the wrench . make sure the set screw is out . the threads are very fine so what you are doing is lining them back up hit in a 12-3 6 9 area
    dont beat it just soft taps

Boolit Bub
    I think I have a pretty good idea of how it goes back together. If I used a nut I'd have to drill a hole in just the right place for the detent ball, I'm not sure how I'd Mark the spot, plus isn't it really hard to drill in the steel nuts are made of? I guess I could see if I could find a brass one, but does anyone know the size of nut/threading? Or instead of a big brass nut I wonder if a regular nut and some collar under it with the detent ball hole that goes in between, assuming it didn't turn with the turret...

Boolit Bub
    Since the turret turns with the nut, I was thinking I might take it off the bench and put the turret in a vice to immobilize it, then take the pipe wrench to it again...

Boolit Bub
    If I cut it off and clean up the threads, go the big brass nut route, I guess I could set the detent ball in one of it's little slots on that collar, and since it's steel it should dig in and make a little indentation where I'll know to drill the hole. I just want the nut size in advance of cutting it off.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Gunnah View Post
    I have one of those presses and use it on a monthly basis it works very well. At this point I think you're going to have to cut off the cap otherwise you're going to risk completely ruining the entire press. I would say there's a good chance you could probably use some type of nut after you cut the cap off. Good luck. If need be I would be willing to disassemble my press if it would help you see how things go together again, to help prevent futher damage but I would not be able to do it till Sunday.

That actually would help, I can't figure out why the turret was spinning while I turned the knurled cap counter clockwise with all my strength even though it was tightened way too tight for the detent ball to move to the next station, I suspect the set screws under the turret were slipping(is the knurled cap actually screwed onto the turret assembly?), but seeing how it comes apart and goes together may help me understand how to fix it. I'm particularly curious how I'll realign the turret stations to center with the shellholder again afterwards if you have any tips. I've heard the threads are 28tpi, but does that help me know what size of nut I'll need to replace it?

Boolit Bub
    I should be able to take this apart Sunday evening when I get home from work. Send me a private message with your cell phone number or email address and I can send you pictures.

In response to the op's post I took my Lyman AA press turret off. That nut was tight but it did come off. the reason it is tight is that the set screw does not have a piece of brass or lead beneath it so it won't mar the threads of the post. When I reassemble it tomorrow it will have. So now I have the turret off and beneath it there is a collar, said collar has two set screws 180 degrees apart, do not remove this collar, and you will have no need to adjust indexing. Things I notice when inspecting the turret and the nut are that the surfaces that make contact are not that great in that they could be a lot smoother and perhaps indexing would be smoother. The hole in the turret ends on each side with sharp corner, where there should be a chamfer or small radius, I will perhaps correct that before reassembly along with smoothing the surfaces. When reassembling I am going to use some STP for lubrication, I think that will work well.

I seems as though you have buggered up the threads pretty good and removing the nut is going to be difficult and perhaps destructive to the nut and the post. That could be bad but not unrepairable. The nut can easily be repaired or another made. The post perhaps not so easily but it could be done.

https://imgur.com/aMI2lnK https://imgur.com/r08Bbwe https://imgur.com/yL3hT1j https://imgur.com/yxUgVPb

Well the imgur links work, now have to figure out how to post a pic instead of a link.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG67 View Post
    In response to the op's post I took my Lyman AA press turret off. That nut was tight but it did come off. the reason it is tight is that the set screw does not have a piece of brass or lead beneath it so it won't mar the threads of the post. When I reassemble it tomorrow it will have. So now I have the turret off and beneath it there is a collar, said collar has two set screws 180 degrees apart, do not remove this collar, and you will have no need to adjust indexing. Things I notice when inspecting the turret and the nut are that the surfaces that make contact are not that great in that they could be a lot smoother and perhaps indexing would be smoother. The hole in the turret ends on each side with sharp corner, where there should be a chamfer or small radius, I will perhaps correct that before reassembly along with smoothing the surfaces. When reassembling I am going to use some STP for lubrication, I think that will work well.

I seems as though you have buggered up the threads pretty good and removing the nut is going to be difficult and perhaps destructive to the nut and the post. That could be bad but not unrepairable. The nut can easily be repaired or another made. The post perhaps not so easily but it could be done.

https://imgur.com/aMI2lnK https://imgur.com/r08Bbwe https://imgur.com/yL3hT1j https://imgur.com/yxUgVPb

Well the imgur links work, now have to figure out how to post a pic instead of a link.
    It's completely out of index now and I'm not sure how to index it precisely after I get it fixed. I'm sure there's a ring gouged into the post where the turret spun with the nut while frozen up, but I don't see that as much a problem as it will serve as a marker as to where along The length of the post the set screws should be tightened to index it, again if anyone has a good way to index it again after I have a new nut sorted out. My idea was to use a brass nut and set the indent ball in one of it's slots in the turret then tighten it down on it, where it should leave a mark in the soft brass to show where to drill the hole where the spring/ball goes on the nut underside.

Boolit Bub
    News, by lowering the turret via the set screws he was able to unscrew the knurled cap again. But, like I said, it's out of index. How do I index it?

The indexing mechanism is between the turret and the collar beneath it, not in the nut. I just went a looked at my press again with the thought of removing the post, not going to happen it is pinned in a blind hole, although it is not impossible to remove the post I have the tools to do it.

I tell you what, get the nut off anyway you can, I removed the indexing collar on mine and there are no dimple on the post in order to set the index just the dimples made by the set screws however I can make you a tool that will allow you to set the index exactly in one shot, it will be very easy.
    Paul G

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG67 View Post
    The indexing mechanism is between the turret and the collar beneath it, not in the nut. I just went a looked at my press again with the thought of removing the post, not going to happen it is pinned in a blind hole, although it is not impossible to remove the post I have the tools to do it.

I tell you what, get the nut off anyway you can, I removed the indexing collar on mine and there are no dimple on the post in order to set the index just the dimples made by the set screws however I can make you a tool that will allow you to set the index exactly in one shot, it will be very easy.
    We got the knurled Cap off by lowering the the indexing collar on the main rod, which loosened it. I can't afford any tools, but if I could borrow and send it back to you?

My dad also mentioned he's never seen a thread file fine enough to repair these in his life...if anyone has a recommendation

PM incoming
    Paul G

OK here is the tool I said I would make, I used it on my press and it works wonderfully and you can borrow if you need it. Here are some pics hopefully it will be as clear as mud. LOL. So if you need it let me know and I will get it in the mail.
    https://imgur.com/qto3dsL https://imgur.com/hNM36FG https://imgur.com/QmXwHOr https://imgur.com/RbNdzhb https://imgur.com/IAoKAXk https://imgur.com/ZgaA2Ge https://imgur.com/4TevV7P

Still haven't figured out to post pics from Imgur, You will notice in some of the pic there is a locknut, You can use it on the top or bottom of the turret, I favor the bottom for some reason. To use said tool one needs to have the collar with the four holes in it loose and the surface on the post that the set screws will bind against must be smooth and unbuggered so that when tightening the set screws they will not pull the collar one way or the other. Also be sure that the spring and ball are in place and the big round nut is tightened down were you want it, do not tighten the set screw on the nut until you have inserted some lead shot or a piece of brass under the set screw so you won't bugger up the threads on the post again.

Insert the tool into the turret and screw it down almost all the way. snug the lock nut against the turret to make it tight and immobile. Now raise the shell holder block so that the small diameter of the tool inserts into the shell holder hole. With that done it is now indexed correctly snug up the sets screw on the collar evenly until it tight, try to do so evenly on both sides. Now you are done. Remove the tool and test it out.
    Last edited by PaulG67; 10-01-2017 at 04:41 PM.
    Paul G

Boolit Bub
    Looks awesome! if I can borrow it I'd mail it back as soon as I got it indexed

Ok I will get it in the mail on Monday. Good luck with it.
    Paul G

Boolit Bub
    Really!? Thanks!

Boolit Master
    To file the threads, use a small triangle file and dress the threads one at a time. It will take a while but should work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast