Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Stainless steel ?

Boolit Bub

Stainless steel ?

-- I was wondering why stainless steel is not used to make cast bullet molds ?

You would not want to pay the price that a stainless steel mold would cost you.

Boolit Grand Master

At one time nickel was used for molds.

Here is a thread on the subject http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...l-Bullet-Mould

Boolit Grand Master

This was just brought up a few weeks ago. Stainless Steel is harder to machine transfer of heat is low, and weight. It would be an expensive material to machine a mould from. It wold require changes in cutter geometry, speeds and feeds, coolants and possible fixtures and set ups. Cast Iron is inexpensive as a base material, easy to machine, heats fast and evenly, and very long lize. I know of some cast iron moulds on the third persons use. Brass again easy to machine low corrosion, even heat and high transfer. It is a little more expensive material but the speed and ease of machining off sets this somewhat. Aluminum good cost point, easiest to machine it machines at high rpms and feeds with the cheaper HS steel tooling. Aluminum is also the lightest of the materials currently used.

Boolit Mold
    Stainless steel has approximately 3 times the thermal expansion of carbon steel. Not a show stopper, but would have to be figured in.

Boolit Master
    Thermal Conductivity is the thing that kills stainless steel. It is one fifth that of cast iron, and one twentieth that of aluminum.

Aluminum is really a great material for our purpose. It's only drawback is a slight decrease in absolute durability, which is only an issue if you don't care for the mold.
    My isotope lead page: http://fellingfamily.net/isolead/

Boolit Master
    From what I have read there are lots of negatives and no positives. They'd look neat but otherwise there's no benefit.

Boolit Bub
    I have to wonder how long the stainless would remain "stain-less", after all the heating and cooling.

Boolit Master

"stain less" is a misnomer, yes it is a different metal as to steel but not much. The "stainless" comes from a process that seals the surface from oxidizing. You scratch stainless and it will rust. As far as machining the stuff it is more dense and will work harden in a heart beat. At that point stainless needs to be annealed, not an easy process. All this depends on what grade of stainless you are working with.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    I gotta wonder how long it would take a sprue to cool in that mold. Aluminum heats fast and also cools fast. Stainless would kill you getting it hot enough not to wrinkle, and then would sit with a sprue puddle for 5 mintues.
    My isotope lead page: http://fellingfamily.net/isolead/