Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: XM16, M16 & M16A1 bipods & carriers.......

Boolit Grand Master

XM16, M16 & M16A1 bipods & carriers.......

Was rummaging through a box of old Army stuff I still had and found these three example of XM16, M16 and M16A1 bipods and carriers used "back in the day".......

One on the right was the first issue for use with LBE. There is a slot on the front for the original 3 piece cleaning rod. As I recall these were issued with the XM16 and M16s. We had two per squad for the "AR" Men (Automatic Riflemen). The center was issued after all the problems with M16s jamming. The had the 3 piece cleaning rod slot on the side and a pouch one the front for patches, LSA, a chamber brush, a bore brush and issue tooth brush. The one on the left is the last issue. It had no cleaning rod as the new 4 piece rod was issued for it with the other cleaning gear in a separate pouch (far left).

Attachment 204846

Two of the bipods were made by Colt;

Attachment 204847
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Cool stash!

I never could make up my mind on the utility of those clip on bipods. Probably something to keep in the vehicle, or leave in the base perimiter foxhole for the next guy on watch, but probably not something I'd want to add to the pack to hump around a jungle with.

It does illustrate, however, that even before the advent of the Picatinny rail, people were still trying to take Stoner's six-pound rifle and bolt 40 pounds of **** to it.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Yes very nifty. A most looked over accessory, neat to see as a complete kit.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience