MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Rcbs handheld primer...SR primers are flipping over when shut

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Rcbs handheld primer...SR primers are flipping over when shut

I tried out my new rcbs handheld primer tool with the round primer holder. The large rifle primers work good but the small rifle primers are flipping over when the holder lid is shut. I also had one primer that flipped and I pressed in sideways in a casing. Any suggestions?

Boolit Grand Master
    Are you getting the lid down all the way? My RCBS Hand priming tool is from the early 1990's and I have never had a primer flip once the top cover is fully closed.

Robert

I have noticed that if you don't get the top pressed on in one fluid motion that they can flip upside down. I place a shop rag on the bench under the primer tray, hold it steady with my left hand and use the heel of my right hand to push it down all the way.

My RCBS hand priming tool has frustrated me for years. But at least it hasn't broken like the Lees.
    Personally I think the original Lee auto prime is the best- until the zinc handle breaks. I have a newer unit with the square tray(not impressed) and an older round tray unit. I guess there is not an infallible tube/tray fed tool on the market that I have seen or used. Even my old RCBS "see-saw" bench mount tool will toss a primer at you occasionally. The priming arm on the press and the Lee Ram prime are slow but SURE. YMMV.
    Best, Thomas.

I have the RCBS Universal, and yes I have had a small rifle primer come up sideways once.

For me there are a couple of things that do help.

A Seat the lid firmly with one smooth motion. I put mine on a towel on a countertop. So all is square and solid. With all primers facing the right way.

B I visually look at each primer coming up before inserting the brass.
    OCD perhaps, but it keeps things moving along.

Any primer that get flipped gets run up to the top, flipped, and dropped back half down then inserted into the brass. It is just one of those habits that takes a little practice.

I move the primer unit as little as possible once loaded. I do maintain a little tilt.

But the times I've seen a primer flip it was a movement by me that caused it. So settle your self in your chair, get comfortable, and hold that hand steady.

I may use one or two loading blocks. But after priming brass is butt up for a last visual inspection before charging. And it also verifys they are primed. Yes I've forgotten that too.

Good habits make for safe loading IMO.

'Simple Problem'...

Eventually...you'll find a 'simple fix'...

Attachment 204893

"Nuff said..."
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Super Moderator

That is the very reason that I returned mine...same issue. If I have to fiddle with it too much and get frustrated with it...it's going back. I still have the original Lee unit and it's getting long in the tooth, as in worn out. Now I'm back to the Rockchucker's tilting primer arm and the bench mounted unit like OS OK's...they work. Someday someone will invent a better mousetrap.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    I treat mine just like a primer flip. Remove from tool set on bench get primers flipped open area around the hole set lid in place and shut gate. Insert in tool and run. I bought one of first ones primed thousands of cases and no malfunctions. I messed up one of the plastic guides called to buy new one and recieved free the updated guides and seater stems. Those one piece stem sure are nice.

Boolit Grand Master

I have had that problem, and the slow steady mounting of the lid is the only way I know to stop it. I did have some small primers tilting in the white plastic shute, called RCBS and they replaced it. They do wear out, apparantly.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I too love my old Lee hand primer. I have one for large and one for small primers. The lid on my original broke and I can't get a replacement. I tried one that they make for a current primer but the plastic lugs don't match so I just switch the lid from large to small. A friend gave me a new RCBS hand primer but my hands were too small for it. After a few cases my hand hurt so bad I sold it.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I used to keep some rubber bands wrapped around but now clamp the lid on with mini spring clamps...3 of em