Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Load Data

Thread: wheel weights...

Boolit Master

wheel weights...

Picked up 2 5 gal. buckets of wheel weights the other day. Finally got around to sorting them today. Ended up with around 4 gal. of lead cowws, 3.5 gal of steel weights, a 3# can of zinc weights and the rest was junk like plastic weights and trash. All things considered,$10 for a 4 gal bucket of usable cowws isn't all that bad. Now I need to go to the recyclers and see what I can get for the zinc and steel. Might recoup at least part of the cost.

Banned
    You did much better then I did the last time I picked wheel weights up , at least 75 % was something other then lead .

I've switched to shot , I've had pretty good luck with one of the local clubs and just sweeping it up off the bare patches when the ground is dry .
    Last time it took about 30 minutes to get about 150 lbs .

Not that I'd turn my nose up at some free weights , but it's not worth the effort as long as I can get free shot when I need it .

Well , maybe not free . I did spend about 4 hours with the weed eater on the rifle range before hand

Boolit Buddy
    I am assuming by shot you are referring to shotgun rounds. I think I read here that people were remarking it was not worth reloading with.
    I have a bunch of shot that I have removed from bulk walmart packs via shell prepper (mountain storm ) to make cheap slugs with. How has the shot performed for you? Have you added anything g tp it before making boolits?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Banned
    I honestly can't tell any differance between the reclaimed shot and wheel weights as far as how it performs .
    I do not have a hardness tester but I think it might be just slightly harder , if it is its not by very much .

As far as casting goes , bullet weights and sizes are a near spot on match with wheel weights .

I do add a few inches of solder to a full 20lb pot to help get good fill out , but I did the same with the wheel weight .
    I've become son used to adding the solder that I haven't tried casting without it ... habits

And the reclaimed shot is a lot easier to smelt into ingots, no clips to deal with and no sorting involved .
    It does take quite a bit more heat though , the shot with a heavy coat of graphite and the oxidized shot won't melt at the lower temps wheel weight will .
    It's a non issue for me because there is no worry about accidently getting zinc in the mix .

Boolit Buddy
    Good to hear . I want to use shot to make 7/8 lee slugs and some 124 grain 9mm. Can't wait.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

At $10, you came out ok. Wheelweight yield seems to be a regional thing. Thankfully, the lead yield is still holding up well around here. Steel seems to be replacing Zinc, which I see as a good thing.
    Last edited by lightman; 10-04-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Boolit Master

Ended up with 102# in ingots along with around another 20# of stick-ons not yet put into ingots. Works out to less than 10 cents/pound. I'm not complaining!

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I am extremely lucky. I just stop in and pick up a couple of buckets of COWW whenever I think of it. Don't have to pay anything (other than the occasional set of tires). Best part, no charge or cost for the lead.

Boolit Master
    Free COWW that is my favorite kind.