MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gold bullets

"Centennial" Based on the book by James Michener. 1978-1979.

The character squeezed the boolits out of pure gold with a pliers type mold.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    You can go to Kitco and see the melt temps of metals. I tried to link it, but I'm new to google chrome and can't get it done

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    All I can say is that you have one-upped anyone who claims theirs are made of brass.
    LOLOL Good one!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    The character squeezed the boolits out of pure gold with a pliers type mold.
    Thanks for the explanation. I either didn't know that or had forgotten it. Thanks to TBD9901 for giving us the source for the series.

The mini-series Centennial (12 parts I think) has been running off and on on cable the last few months. Being a cowboy and mountain man nut, I really like this mini-series from the 1970s. It covers both a little. The first part is the part where he squeezes the rifle balls out of the gold nuggets.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like I've generated abit of interest! Just weighed them they come in at 141gn so probably not too far off what the lead bullets weigh and the alloy melts at about 900C.
    I don't know if my walker or dragoon's loading arm would take the strain of loading one of these shiny gold balls and I don't really want to spend the day trying to dig up the range trying to find the fired $200 ball! And they do measure pretty much spot .456-457 so I did get pretty good mold fill out with this alloy

Got a swimming pool you could shoot them into? I think they would look way cool with rifling grooves on them.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just think, if you cast just one more of those gold balls, you could hang them out in front of a little tiny pawn shop!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Just think, if you cast just one more of those gold balls, you could hang them out in front of a little tiny pawn shop!

Froggie
    LOL

I wonder how many reading that, will "get it"? Don't see the 3 gold balls hanging by pawn shops much around here any more...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    According to my calculator, 9ct is about 37.5% gold. I wonder what those gold round balls are worth.

Second thing I thought;
    One takes silver bullets when hunting Werewolves. What would one hunt with gold bullets - chorus girls ?
    At the rate of $481 per oz. for 9K gold.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12