RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: CCW ammo, factory vs handloads

Boolit Mold
    When we go out into the field carrying a .460 Rowland for protection against bear attack WHAT ammo do we prefer? A 255 grain hard cast lead round nose, flat point. This bullet is NOT designed to expand, but instead designed to punch THROUGH to the vitals and beyond.

The fact is, humans are basically the same size as a small bear, a mountain lion, a rogue deer...etc. Thus, when using "lethal force" against a human why do we "presume" a 9mm is "enough?" We would certainly NOT presume that for a 200 lb white-tail deer!

Even IF we compare non-expanding bullets, "magnum" level handgun bullets tend to be far more effective than sub-magnum calibers. The "problem" is that calibers sufficient to reliably put down a large human don't fit within the "self-defense" carry paradigm.

The major flaw with that philosophy is many of us live in and carry defensively, in urban areas. A bullet “punching all the way through” increases the chance of hitting someone beyond the assailant, that we really don’t want to hit.
    The reason militaries use ball ammo is they did studies years ago. If they killed a soldier they just tied up one or two people taking care of him. If they just wounded a soldier they could tie up to a dozen people taking care of them. It has nothing to do with the lethality of the round, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    The major flaw with that philosophy is many of us live in and carry defensively, in urban areas. A bullet “punching all the way through” increases the chance of hitting someone beyond the assailant, that we really don’t want to hit.
    The reason militaries use ball ammo is they did studies years ago. If they killed a soldier they just tied up one or two people taking care of him. If they just wounded a soldier they could tie up to a dozen people taking care of them. It has nothing to do with the lethality of the round, sorry.
    I have heard from a friend, of a friend, married to a third cousin, that knows a guy who heard that rumor. But I have never seen an actual citation to such.

IMO a person to be responsible has to ALWAYS be aware what is behind the threat, no matter what the ammo. I also heard rumors that people tend to run when there is gun play, and don't usually stand behind a bad guy, or a good guy. If your in a crowd, maybe it is a good idea of having more than one option for SD.

For a time I worked security at a bar, it was in my best interest to know the penetration of the rounds I was using. Just saying not everyone’s circumstances are identical.
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

And it seems the US military is changing it’s mind on the matter even.
    https://www.thetrace.org/2015/07/hol...n-us-army/amp/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345