Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Drill switch replacement.

Boolit Master

Drill switch replacement.

I have a Ryobi Mod D18-C drill that I have had for 20 years or so and the switch failed some time ago. So I bought a new cordless drill but I would like to get this one running again. I ordered a switch for the model above and got it here several days ago, but The switch is not exactly the same as the old one. I see the same number of holes for wires in the switch body but they are configured differently and I do not intuit which wire goes where. Is there a site that has instructions for such a project? I have looked and found nothing that I could interpret. But there are a dozen or so places happy to sell you another switch if you want one. I wonder if the Fastenal store has any info. They are just up Bay Rd from me. The last thing I used this drill for was trimming brass with a Lee trim outfit. ( shooting related)
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

I don't know of a site but how many wires are there on the switch? It could be figured out with an ohm meter.

Boolit Master

The switch has 8 places to attach wires. 2 for 120V line in 2 for load out to a circuit board, 2 for wires back in from the circuit board and 2 back out to the motor.

Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Banned
    You might be able to find the exact drill @ a Habitat for Humanity Re-Store for little $ or
    You might be able to find a schematic for the new switch or maybe both drills to help figure it out.

Banned
    Maybe if you post pictures someone will be able to tell you which holes go to which.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	204906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	204907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	204908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	204909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	204910Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	204911

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

I guess what would be the most help would be where do the 125V line in wires go? Thanks for help on this puzzle.

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Is there a Ryobi customer service center that could be called to get the information or a wiring diagram for the particular switch ou have?

To me, this is one of the most frustrating things a person has to put up with in this "throw away society". You used to replace motor brushes and be able to replace switches, etc. on drills and similar. Now, they tally to toss it and buy a new one. I had a Milwaukee 1/4 drill that no kidding, must have been at least seventy-five years old. A great heavy duty drill and it was handy to have on the bench with a counter-sink or similar in it for repetitive operations. I knew the fellow that bought it new and I bought it from his estate - in the very early 80s and he was 93 when he died and a retired electrician. When that drill bit the dust, I about cried. Since then, I've had three new ones and am now on my fourth. nothing is built to last anymore.

Good luck with your switch and I hope you can get it figured out and save your drill!

Find a friend that is a electrician and ask him to help you.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Buddy
    The power in order will only affect the position of the reverser switch. 2 leads for power in and 2 leads for load.
    Shaune509