Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting Alone

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    I have used them, too!
    Since they are satellite based, they work where cell phones don't.
    Sir have you seen any where the spot doesn't work?
    I'm thinking it could be the answer to getting back in the woods.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Cast Hunter

A few years ago I started using the SPOT and this year bought an InReach. The SPOT is very handy, but a bit limited on messaging. With the tracking feature, the SPOT is fairly inexpensive at $150 per year. My wife can track me online with a topo map view.

A couple years ago I was hunting alone and broke a tie rod on my ATV 17+ miles into the mountains. I hit the "send help" button and my wife dutifully told my 2 hunting buddies. They knew the trail and came and found me the next morning and helped me get out. Priceless! If you get in serious trouble, the SOS button will summon search and rescue.

The InReach service is more expensive, but you can send and receive text messages to a cell phone or e-mail. Also has the same tracking feature.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Sir have you seen any where the spot doesn't work?
    I'm thinking it could be the answer to getting back in the woods.
    I have used my SPOT in the mountains, on the tundra and ocean. No issues.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

In Remembrance
    By golly some of us might not want the old woman being able to track us. lol
    A few years ago a buddy and I took his jet boat and headed in search of minto lakes. Heavy on the (in search of), we did not know we were suppose to turn off the river at gold stream creek, so went on down river till we were close to empty on one tank. Well we all know it takes more gas to run up river, soooooo we didn't make it back. When we left we had jokingly told my wife if we weren't back by noon the next day to come find us (didn't tell her how or where). lol
    I stayed with the boat while he walked out and drove the 1 1/2 hours to my place to get some gas cans, he left a note on her steering wheel to not come looking for us. She never knew he had come and gone until sometime after lunch she decided she should look for us and found the note. lol

On a side note, the last few years I have kept a sat phone with me in the truck, I have never used it to check in, but have it in case of emergency, iircit is around 200 every 6 months for service, and works from anywhere I have ever used it.

Colorado is a pain to hunt. You have to know WHERE to go and have permission, and what Game Management Unit (GMU) it's in. Then you have to apply, in April, for a permit in that GMU, for what you want to hunt and when (archery, muzzleloader, early rifle, late rifle, etc.), and then cross all your fingers and toes and hope/wish/pray that you'll draw a tag. And you have to do this for anything/everything you want to hunt. I believe it's this way even if you had your own land to hunt on, gotta play the tag lottery to get a tag to hunt it. It's a drag, they don't make it easy.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I have bow hunted solo since the mid 80's. I'm getting to the age that I will start wear a safety belt this year. At least now we have cell phones where I did not in years past.

Boolit Master

OK here's an update - although my offer was sincere, it seems that the only out of state tags that can be had are for full time college students or military personnel.

www.dec.ny.gov

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    The woods I use to hunt was no good the last two year, because there was a hog farm built right up against it. Fall seems to be the time the honey wagon makes its rounds and and deer in and around the area seem to go on vacation when the manure hits the ground.

I'd thought about going to southern Ohio this fall to hunt, but I can't find anyone to go with me. My wife won't let me go alone because of my health I find myself with no place to hunt and no one to go with.

So, my question is this, is there anyone in the southern part of Ohio that could point me to a good spot to hunt and know exactly where I'm at and could drag my body out of the woods for my wife if I don't answer my cell phone at night.

I'll stay at a camping place and do for myself, I'm not crippled up and can take care of myself, I just want my wife to be at ease while I'm hunting and not worried that I might die in the woods and not know where I'm at. Women worry too much.
    So, I have not read every post, but did you find a place to hunt in your desired location?

If not, should you wish to purchase an out-of-state license to hunt in SW KS for next year, get in contact with me. I understand many of the concerns posted here. I buried my wife two summers ago. I return each deer season to hunt deer on the farm where I grew up, and my brother still farms. He drives the county road grader. He has the only bottom land alfalfa for at least 10 miles. Yup, I'm spoiled. I do build fence, round up cattle, etc., each time I show up (at least four times a year since Mom is in the nursing home in Dodge City). And, for those that think they can sneak through town without their Mother knowing it, they ain't never had their Mother pull up alongside their pickup in her wheelchair, and tell you to "Pull it over!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    So, I have not read every post, but did you find a place to hunt in your desired location?

If not, should you wish to purchase an out-of-state license to hunt in SW KS for next year, get in contact with me. I understand many of the concerns posted here. I buried my wife two summers ago. I return each deer season to hunt deer on the farm where I grew up, and my brother still farms. He drives the county road grader. He has the only bottom land alfalfa for at least 10 miles. Yup, I'm spoiled. I do build fence, round up cattle, etc., each time I show up (at least four times a year since Mom is in the nursing home in Dodge City). And, for those that think they can sneak through town without their Mother knowing it, they ain't never had their Mother pull up alongside their pickup in her wheelchair, and tell you to "Pull it over!"
    Made me smile...yer a good man Charlie Brown...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post

Just saw your post Charlie.
    I've had several offers here to hunt and they're all tempting, but I think I'd rather stick closer to home this year.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebob View Post
    Get yourself a gps SPOT and you can be in touch with your wife everyday and let her know u are ok and exactly where u are...your spot message will show up on her computer with a map showing your location anywhere in the world. U can use it to call 911 too! My buddy in Alaska uses one all the time and I'm thinking about getting on for myself. And I just hunt the Ozarks by myself a few hours from home..
    I just returned from a planned 10 day Deer hunt with SWMBO and my 15 year old Grandson, it ended up only being 7 days due to a Mechanical Breakdown on the Dodge. We were camped in our 31' Travel trailer at 8,500 ft and were hunting up to 9,900 ft where there was NO Cell Service. I have owned a SPOT for about three years and used it to check-in with my Brother everyday, when the truck became disabled on Sunday evening I was able to limp it back to camp. It was 24.4* Monday morning so rather than an attempt at repair I sent the Non-Medical Stuck/Brokedown Assistance Needed Message at 0745, at 1115 a CHP Officer showed up to check on us.

He gave SWMBO a ride back down to Kernville ( 1.5 Hours ) where she was able to call my Brother. He was another 1.5 hours away from Kernville, he drove up to Kernville and brought SWMBO back up to camp where a plan was made on getting the truck recovered. He returned home and called a Tow for Tuesday morning since it was already dark, when we got the truck home I found the repair was actually pretty simple and after it was fixed SWMBO and I went back up the mountain and brought the trailer home.

With my health and age catching up with me I don't do very much Solo Back Country ATV'ing or Hunting anymore and had recently considered stopping the SPOT Service, after this I will certainly keep it. FWIW, I bought it during a Rebate Special in November 2014 for $169.95, which was COMPLETELY Rebated within 60 days. The Monthly Service plan runs $18.95 a month and includes $100K Insurance in the event a Medical Helicopter Evacuation is needed.
    Last edited by Mtnfolk75; 10-11-2017 at 04:56 PM.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnfolk75 View Post
    I just returned from a planned 10 day Deer hunt with SWMBO and my 15 year old Grandson, it ended up only being 7 days due to a Mechanical Breakdown on the Dodge. We were camped in our 31' Travel trailer at 8,500 ft and were hunting up to 9,900 ft where there was NO Cell Service. I have owned a SPOT for about three years and used it to check-in with my Brother everyday, when the truck became disabled on Sunday evening I was able to limp it back to camp. It was 24.4* Monday morning so rather than an attempt at repair I sent the Non-Medical Stuck/Brokedown Assistance Needed Message at 0745, at 1115 a CHP Officer showed up to check on us.

He gave SWMBO a ride back down to Kernville ( 1.5 Hours ) where she was able to call my Brother. He was another 1.5 hours away from Kernville, he drove up to Kernville and brought SWMBO back up to camp where a plan was made on getting the truck recovered. He returned home and called a Tow for Tuesday morning since it was already dark, when we got the truck home I found the repair was actually pretty simple and after it was fixed SWMBO and I went back up the mountain and brought the trailer home.

With my health and age catching up with me I don't do very much Solo Back Country ATV'ing or Hunting anymore and had recently considered stopping the SPOT Service, after this I will certainly keep it. FWIW, I bought it during a Rebate Special in November 2014 for $169.95, which was COMPLETELY Rebated within 60 days. The Monthly Service plan runs $18.95 a month and includes $100K Insurance in the event a Medical Helicopter Evacuation is needed.
    Well being wheelchair bound I only get out when I can find somebody to go with, I think the warden would let me go locally if I had a way to check in,so she can find me if needed so this thread has opened my eyes on the subject either sounds like it would work for me.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Man
    Good idea with the tracking system. Worth looking into. One thing, know your limitations, you'r not 19 anymore, most of us that is. Pace yourself, enjoy the hunt, really enjoy it. "smell the roses '' type thing. Here's an example of what happened to my nephews hunting friend. He went out the first day of archery season by himself, got up in his tree stand. Not sure how much later, but, fell about 15 ft out of the stand, fractured his pelvis in a couple of places, broke ribs in 6 places and he was alone. Was able to use his cell phone to call for help. They found him, took him to the hosp, and he's home now. VERY fortunate guy, its ruined his hunt for this year. He'll heal up and, i hope he don't make the mistakes he did this time.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by ARKLITE881South View Post
    Good idea with the tracking system. Worth looking into. One thing, know your limitations, you'r not 19 anymore, most of us that is. Pace yourself, enjoy the hunt, really enjoy it. "smell the roses '' type thing. Here's an example of what happened to my nephews hunting friend. He went out the first day of archery season by himself, got up in his tree stand. Not sure how much later, but, fell about 15 ft out of the stand, fractured his pelvis in a couple of places, broke ribs in 6 places and he was alone. Was able to use his cell phone to call for help. They found him, took him to the hosp, and he's home now. VERY fortunate guy, its ruined his hunt for this year. He'll heal up and, i hope he don't make the mistakes he did this time.
    That's why a safety harness is needed. A cousin was hunting with my brother, forgot his harness. Put a rope around his waist. My brother found him hanging from the tree when he came back. Did't hit the ground, but the rope was still darned uncomfortable.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123