Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Best trigger gauge who makes it?

Banned

Best trigger gauge who makes it?

Would like to hear some discussion on the best of the trigger gauges out there on the market.

Boolit Master

I've used various methods, bird shot in a heavy duty ziplock to confirm a 500g trigger break on a match Air Pistol. I've also used the RCBS which is OK and I now use a hanging weight set that goes to 8 lbs in 1/4lb increments which is slower but precise.

Banned
    Hanging weight set is interesting but I need something compact that I can pack in a gun bag.

I have been using a Wheeler trigger gauge that I got from Midway. It isn't the best, but it reads the same as hanging weight and seems to be consistent.
    It was about $20 and is small enough to carry in a range kit.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The Lyman
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I have the cheaper RCBS. It must be 30 years old. It is accurate and consistent and would not take up a lot of space.

Boolit Grand Master

The pull springs work and get you very close Lyman RCBS wheeler all make these. They give a decent repeatable pull weight. I have the rcbs and like it as it has a sliding indicator that stays at the highest point. Lymann has a digital out too.

Most match rules on trigger weight sate must lift or hold xxx lbs. Service rifle s 4 1/2 lbs. and when checked they use a hanging weight of the correct weight. I have one made with a cup that hold lead shot. shot can be trickled in to close then one piece dropped at a time until the sear trips. And then the shot cup and hanger is measured on a postal scales. I have seen the hanging weight set with 1 lb, usually 3ea, 8 ounce lb 3-4 each, 4 ounce 2 ea, and 2 ounce 2 ea. the weight of the hanger and base is the constant you can get below. These also take a steady hand to use accurately.

The Lyman electronic trigger gauge works very well. I have used it to set the triggers on several service rifles.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Boolit Grand Master

I use my rcbs to set the service rifles triggers also but then double check them with the hang weight.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Ive got a WWII
    armourers trigger gauge ,been using it for years.

Banned
    Kind of looking at the Lyman electronic and the Wheeler electronic gauges right now.

I have the RCBS and just inherited a 40 yr old Ohaus. I like the pull break indicator on the RCBS but the old Ohaus has a better trigger hook and is half the size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Wheeler spring (analog) type gives very repeatable, relative results for ~$20. You can have confidence that one trigger pull is the same (or different) than another with this device.

Boolit Grand Master

I enjoy my Lyman electronic. Not sure what would be the "best" though.

Boolit Bub
    I use the RCBS. Seems to be consistent and no issues with it.

Boolit Grand Master

Theres a lot of things that make a great trigger. Length off pull, break point, distance to the break, crispness. On a 2 stage theres also the length to first stage and then length of second stage. weight distribution between first and second stage. I have felt 4 1/2 lb triggers that feel like 2 lbs due to the short second stage and the first stage take up. Weight is important but only a small part of a great trigger

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Kind of looking at the Lyman electronic and the Wheeler electronic gauges right now.
    I use a Lyman digital. It works well for what I do, but I have no idea how precise it is.
    To get consistency, I put the gun level in a vise or rest, and make sure I'm pulling the scale straight back, with the bar inline (parallel) to the gun. A consistent pull gives consistent readings (as long as there's not something wonky with the trigger). Pull firmly to the rear, without jerking, and slowly increase pressure.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an RCBS and some homemade hanging weights, made with shot at home. Was in Arizona one winter a while back and had forgotten to bring scale along. I made a stop at Walmart sporting goods and found a fishing scale with large dial. I think it was somewhere around $3. Made a 2 and 4 pound weight to test and calibrate. No stop on it, so I simply count up the scale out loud as I slowly pull. Not match accuracy, but works great when I am working on a trigger and want to see progress.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I like Wagner force gauges, but they cost more than the rifle.
    I have been able to collect the whole set for cheap on Ebay.

Big companies buy them, and no big companies want them used.