Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cva hawkens

cva hawkens

Went to a pawn shop, took my savage 30-06 with me, they had an cva hawkens 50cal, got an even trade for it.
    the gun looks like it is great shape. bore looks great too. only thing that was missing was a nipple.

so it takes a 6x1?
    1in48 twist?

Moderator Emeritus

I hope the bore was shot out and the gun had 30% bluing left cause I think you traded down. CVA never impressed me much as a shooter but I hope for your sake this one does well. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

probley more like 1-66 twist, don't remember the nipple thread. one problem to watch is that the nipple does not sit down in the drum to far for powder to get under can be a real puzzler trying to figur out why it doesn't go BANG in cold weather with that problem. steve k

1 in 66? I will find out more here in an hour or 2. know someone that has one and he will get back to me on it once he gets back from shooting.

found my Muzzy borelight, the bore has no pitting.

on my 30-06, bore was not shot out, but the blue not in that bad shape, was banged up on the out side. biggest reason, I was not shooting it anymore. I gave it up so someone would take it out more then I have. since I owned it, I only put an 100rnds in it.

I have a muzzleloader that is close to an 1000, and I only owned a year

Boolit Buddy

My CVA Hawken is 1-48. I picked it up used and had a few problems with caps not firing. Got new main spring from Dixie Gun Works and that fixed the problem.

thanks for the info on the spring. if I have problems, I know where to start.

Boolit Grand Master

CVAs take the standard size nipple, I don't remember the thread size off hand. They were making their twists mostly 1-66 but as the MLs got more popular for the BP hunting and using conicals they started making the 1-48 twist which works out real good for round balls and conicals. Should be a good shooter. If you are unsure of the twist rate you can figure it out by inserting the rod in with the cleaning jag and a good tight patch on it. Mark the rod and push it in 2' and note how far the rod turns.
    Aim small, miss small!

may just do that. I normally clean a gun when I get them home. have not done it yet. kill 2 birds with one stone.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Sir,send me your mailing adress in a PM and I will send you a nipple to fit it.No charge.

its 1:48 twist. Excellent shooters

i found a site that gives twist rate. and did the patch trick. i want to know what type of oil he used on it.

patches where coming pee yellow.

Could be bore butter. There are those who squeeze out an entire tube of that stuff down there bore it seems.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Since the nipple was missing, examine the threads closely. It may have been blown out with an overload using maxi balls or some such. You want a good fit.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

"Since the nipple was missing, examine the threads closely. It may have been blown out with an overload using maxi balls or some such. You want a good fit."

If what Waksupi suggested above is the case, it isn't difficult to recut the threads for the 1/4" x 28tpi nipple. 1/4 x 28 taps are available from a variety of sources, e.g., Brownell's, Track of the Wolf, Dixie, etc.

Boolit Grand Master

Or you could buy a new drum. They are only a few dollars. That's what I love about MLs.
    Aim small, miss small!

that may be an idea, too. easier the better right now.

If you like thats all that matters I hope it shoots like a house on fire............. enjoy it

Good luck with the new shooting Iron
    Psalm 16 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust
    Ted Kennedy’s car has killed more people than my gun.
    USAF Retired
    Welcome to the Unarmed States of America. Change is coming and it's coming for you.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I got one of those for Christmas when I was 16 ('89). I think the older ones like mine are 1 in 66" and about 15/16" accross the flats. A buddy of mine bought one on the cheap around '97 or so and it was 1 in 48" and an inch accross the flats. It was heavier than mine and didn't point as well but shot good enough for him.
    Mine is a tack driver. A Speer .490 ball, Ox-Yoke patch, 85 grn of FFFg, and a german cap will put two through one ragged hole and drop the third a 1/2" below the first two at fifty yards every time. It's accounted for 2 small bucks, a few groundhogs, and a few squirrels in its lifetime. Even at 40 grains of FFF, it's pretty hard on squirrels.
    Haven't hunted it in years. I think I might get it out of the cabinet this fall (not for squirrels).

I have 2 new drums coming.

I started thinking of what was said about the missing nipple.

i am hoping it will shoot well. It shoulders like it was made for me.

it will Corey. Matter of fact, if you send me the barrel for Browning, i'll mount it in my brothers cva hawken stock and find some powerbelt and patched round ball loads for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast