Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proven 308 Winchester 180-200 grain cast load

Boolit Master
    I have two rifles in 308 shooting CB's and the Remington with the 22" bbl loves the Lee 180 RNGC at 1600 fps using either 5744 or RE-7. The Mossberg 16" bbl likes a 190 gr Loverin style semi point GC at 1700 fps using 5744. I am currently experimenting with a 200 gr Loverin style semi point plain base which so far has shot surprisingly well in both rifles at 1200 fps using a Bullseye load (neither likes a Unique load for the same velocity). I am using RCBS dies and a Lee push through sizer.

I'm A Honcho!
    Did a little more shooting today. This time with my second Savage 10 P-SR 18" and a 1-6 power Vortex Illuminated Reticle Scope. Wow!!! This shot great and grouped right along side my jacketed load that I have a pile of.

This time I was using Hornady Brass. I have enough brass to leave about 400 of these loaded for deer and hog hunting. Thanks Cast Boolit Brothers for assisting in developing this load.

The first 4 shots went into less than 1/2 inch. With the flyer...its barely over an inch.

NOE 180 grain RD Shortneck Plain Base Unsorted and coated clear
    Hornady Brass
    CCI 200 LRP
    18.5 Thrown grains of AA9
    Will not chamber in my Remington or Savage Bolt guns if crimped into the crimping groove. I set them to chamber in my bolt guns. This comes out to mid way of the front driving band.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3391.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	212869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3392.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	212870
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

About 1/10" gets sized, just get into the lands a tad. No crimp groove so just FCD to remove the bell at the mouth.
    Whatever!

I'm A Honcho!
    Anyone else like to share?
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.

Boolit Master
    All of mine have been with gas checks except one. I milled off the top of a Lee 180gn mold to make it a plain base. It did really well with light loads in my .308. 7gn of Blue Dot would put them into 1.5" at 100yd. It's like shooting a rimfire with a big bullet

Just for grins one day I pushed them really hard, 2450fps. 4" group at 100yd.

After that experiment I went back to gas checks for higher velocities.

PS I usually shoot an Acc 31-210E (gas check). It requires a nose size to fit the bore precisely. Got the NOE sizing setup for that.

Boolit Master
    Just yesterday I finished a test of a 308 in a Remington bolt rifle of the difference in sizing gas checked boolits to 308 and 311. The boolits were from the NOE 179 gr mold and the Lee 180 gr. mold. The test was on my 40 yard home test range from a rest. That particular rifle has always loved a 2400 load of 19.2 gr so all tests were with that load. The best group was with the Lee 180 RNGC with 3 shots touching and one 1/4" away. The 308 sized 179 Gr NOE boolit wasn't far behind with a group of about 1". The NOE boolit sized to 311 gave a 1-5/8" group with a POI of 2" higher than the other two with two impacts touching. It was windy so that may have had an effect at times.

Boolit Grand Master

Trying to get back into practice for shooting CBA matches over at Ben Avery range north of Phoenix. The long "dark" COVD summer has taken its toll. Hopefully they will begin shooting again soon. We use the CBA score target and normally shoot 2 shots per target but for practice I shoot 5 shots per target on my own printed out targets.

Anyways, yesterday I was at the range testing another rifle so I took along my M70 Match 308W to practice a 100 yard "match" shooting for score not group. I've been not shooting enough bench rest and am a bit out of practice maintaining a consistent position. I usually shoot 5 fouler/sighters on a sighter target then the 10 shots "for record" with 5 shots on each target. Two shots got away from me. Wish I could blame it on the load but they both went exactly to the cross hairs when the trigger broke...... Ended up with a 97-5 X which isn't bad but I can do better. When you've a rifle/load combination shooting this well maintaining a consistent bench position is paramount to success. I just haven't been precision shooting enough the last year and shooting for score on that target w/o a precise aiming point is more difficult than shooting for group........ Still the 10 shots grouped (if over layed) just under 1" even with the called flier.

Nothing about the load fits the OPs criteria BTW, just thought I'd include it.

Attachment 271684
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    26 grs AA2520 under a 314299 bullet sized to .311, Shoots well
    in my 1916 spanish mauser recambered to .308. I only shoot this
    rifle at 50 yds as I only use the open iron sights. Holds two inch
    groups. In a good scope sighted rifle should shrink the groups
    down some at 100 yds. This is a mild 30/30 load. Give it a try.

Boolit Master
    Larry, Good shooting. Were those the XCB's?

Do you ever participate in the CBA Postal shoots?

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, those were with 30 XCBs cast of #2 alloy, properly weight sorted, Hornady GC'd, lubed with 2500+ and sized in a .311 H&I die. They're loaded over 2400 in match prepped LC Match cases with the flash holes drilled (#28 drill) using CCI 200 primers. Velocity runs right at 1800 fps with 10 shot ESs running 18 - 20 fps and SDs at 5 - 8 fps.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I'm A Honcho!
    Mr Gibson,

Have you ever tried 2400 with Jacketed bullets?

JB

Boolit Master
    Thanks Larry. Good luck in Phx.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Larry, ...........Do you ever participate in the CBA Postal shoots?
    I haven't yet, thought about it though. I usually (pre COVD) get over to Ben Avery range several times a year to shoot both commercial rifle and military rifle with the Arizona boys. Was hoping we'd start shooting again but looks like not for a while now......
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    Mr Gibson,

Have you ever tried 2400 with Jacketed bullets?

JB
    Not in any bottle necked cartridges greater in capacity than the 30-30/7.62x39.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I haven't yet, thought about it though. I usually (pre COVD) get over to Ben Avery range several times a year to shoot both commercial rifle and military rifle with the Arizona boys. Was hoping we'd start shooting again but looks like not for a while now......
    I was getting ready to try a postal match, then the city closed our range again.

Grew up in Phx. Some neighbors were part of the original Black Canyon range construction. I shot with them once when they were at the old Thunderbird range (now absorbed by housing).

I toyed with the idea of going to Ben Avery to shoot but never got around to it. If I can get my cast loads a bit more accurate I may try it once all this stuff is over.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12