Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: RCBS 45-225rn vs RCBS 45-230rn

RCBS 45-225rn vs RCBS 45-230rn

Hey all I am looking at a used RCBS 45-225rn. I am also looking into buying a new RCBS 45-230rn. The 225 grain looks more like a Lyman 452374 (which I will not purchase new due to possible undersized boolits)

So, is either of these two molds better than the other? Feeding? Accuracy? The 230gn has kind of a step on it which kind of bothers me for some reason... but I am looking for first hand experience before I pull the trigger.

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the older one--it works just fine in my Sig 220 and 45 revolvers. I believe either will suit you well and if the used one is cheaper and not beat up, save the money.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I have a Lyman 452374 and an NOE 454-230-rn. The Lyman corresponds to the RCBS 225rn and the NOE corresponds to the 230rn. They are alike enough to be clones.
    My 452374 would feed through anything and accuracy was good. The NOE had issues with the shoulder(step) running into the rifling and failing to chamber due to the barrel not having much if any throat in it. The barrel also had issues with any boolit that had a step or shoulder that was showing in front of the case mouth.
    I had DougGuy work his magic on the barrel for me. Now it feeds anything including light weight SWC designs. The accuracy was not harmed. In fact it has improved so that now it shoots cast boolits better than it does hardball.
    Accuracy is about the same for either boolit.
    This was with a Kart brand National Match barrel in a customized Rock Island 1911.
    The stock barrel that came with my Springfield Armory MIL-Spec 1911 didn't need anything done to it. It feeds and shoots well with everything right from the box.
    I understand your concerns about undersize boolits. My 452374 drops right at .453-.4535 with range scrap.
    Last edited by tazman; 09-27-2017 at 04:28 PM.

Purchased the used one. Cheaper than new and came with handles. We'll see how it does

Banned
    I'll have to agree with tazman here. Both bullets should be very close to being the same accuracy wise. I've used both and still have a few hundred loaded up. My favorite however is the Magma 230 gr rn mold which in my hands seems to be a bit more accurate.