Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Mistake with WLRM primers in fart loads

Mistake with WLRM primers in fart loads

I have been loading 30-06 fart loads now for a while with WLR primers and have had great success (8.5 grs Bullseye, WLR primer, 200 gr boolit). However, I just finished loading 100 and nearly lost my mind when I looked at the box of Winchester primers after finishing to see I had used Large Rifle Magnum (WLRM) primers! Same color box, just different printing. I have never used WLRM in loads in my life! It was a taped single box of 100. I went searching through my stuff and found a couple more boxes, so I must have bought some by mistake in the last 5 years or so. ??

Question: I am not familiar with these WLRM primers at all. So, would it be prudent to pull the bullets and primers and start all over again with this batch of 100? I do not mind doing this, but I guess I would rather not if there is no danger to me, the gun, or leading (sic, increased velocity ?? - around 1250fps now from what I can research (COWW with 2% tin added).).

Very stupid thing to do I admit. So far no harm done. Just really STUPID! So, three mistakes have been made: 1) when I bought them, 2) when I just loaded them, and 3) NOT LOOKING MORE CLOSELY AT THE BOX BEFORE I USED THEM! Geez!

Just don't want to add a fourth mistake by firing one to "find out" unless I have some educated help.

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't worry about it and shoot them. Heck, it may even be more accurate.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    No danger in using them. I have found in reduced loads where there is a great deal of free airspace in the case they aid ignition and produce more uniform velocities.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thank you for the help concerning this "problem". I won't worry about it now, and it looks like I might even benefit.

Still, when all is said and done, I certainly learned a BIG lesson here: look more carefully at the primer box! I've been reloading off and on for 52 years now, you'd think I'd know better.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 40-82 hiker View Post
    Thank you for the help concerning this "problem". I won't worry about it now, and it looks like I might even benefit.

Still, when all is said and done, I certainly learned a BIG lesson here: look more carefully at the primer box! I've been reloading off and on for 52 years now, you'd think I'd know better.
    It's just a good reminder that we have to be mindful. Glad it ended up being a non-issue.

The only issue I could think of is using non magnum primers and working right at the rev limiter and then using magnum primers and then being some over pressure.

I accidentally used small rifle primers in some subsonic 9mm loads. Didn't know it until I got home from the range and went to load more and found I didn't have any small pistol primers and the box in the trash was small rifle

I loaded this hundred "in question" to take to the range this late afternoon. After reading the first couple of responses I went on to the range and fired 50 of the hundred, getting typically good results. I honestly could not tell any difference in the groups. However, I had no pressure issues at all. The cases and primers look very normal for my fart loads.

Again, thanks for the responses.

Jeepguy, I'm not sure how we managed to read the labels so wrong, but we caused no harm for a rather important mistake. Thanks for adding your story.

Last primer shortage I used Rem 9-1/2 M primers in everything they would fit with zero problems. Because I have thousands I inherited from a late friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

For the longest time Win did not have a LR magnum primer. The sleeves read "For standard and magnum loads". Trivia.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I was told by a QA engineer at the Olin works that their "magnum" primers were not manufactured on separate production runs, but were sorted from regular production lots, separately packing any primers in which the pellet weight exceeded the mean tolerance.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 40-82 hiker View Post
    I loaded this hundred "in question" to take to the range this late afternoon. After reading the first couple of responses I went on to the range and fired 50 of the hundred, getting typically good results. I honestly could not tell any difference in the groups. However, I had no pressure issues at all. The cases and primers look very normal for my fart loads.

Again, thanks for the responses.

Jeepguy, I'm not sure how we managed to read the labels so wrong, but we caused no harm for a rather important mistake. Thanks for adding your story.
    Life happens. If my 9's would have been near max I might have been in some trouble. I don't load anything close to max I am looking for quiet through a suppressor.

Glad it worked ok for you. I double check all my stuff now and I will bet you will do the same from now on!

During the powder shortage, the only powder I could find that might possibly work in a 9mm was Winchester Super Handicap(WSH). There was no data for it out there anywhere. No one would admit to using it at all.
    Since it was the only thing I could find, I worked up a load with it by estimating appropriate charges from similar powders on the burn rate charts. It actually worked very well.
    My point is, I also ran out of standard Small pistol primers and had to purchase Small Pistol Magnum primers. I loaded up a box of those and took my trusty chronograph to the range.
    The magnum primers only made about 35 fps difference in the loads but they shot much better. The group size shrunk by about 50%.
    Needless to say, I am still using that particular load and still getting great results with it. There have never been any pressure signs in any of the several thousand of those I have fired in half a dozen different 9mm handguns.
    Sometimes that mistake actually improves things.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    No danger in using them. I have found in reduced loads where there is a great deal of free airspace in the case they aid ignition and produce more uniform velocities.
    I agree with this ^^^I feel good solid ignition is one of the keys to accuracy.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj