RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady LnL progressive question

Boolit Master
    It is plenty fast, I don't run a case feeder or bullet feeder on mine either. The price for fully automating those parts was 1300+ either way. If I was competitive shooting I'd consider it but right now it isn't in my budget.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

5 holes up top would be nice but not necessary. Buy the Dillon (I run 2 550s) and you will never look back. Using one hand to add a case while the other hand adds a bullet is fairly simple, kind of like eating a hot dog and drinking a coke. If you have trouble with that, well.... When I was shooting IPSC, there was no problem in loading 1000 rounds with a 550 on a Friday after noon for the weekend match and further practice during the coming week.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

I know the Dillon warranty is fantastic,but how is Hornady's ?

I wore out a Hornady Pro-Jector after about 400,000 rounds loaded on it. I called Hornady and they said to send it in and they would look at it and decide if it could be rebuilt or not. They told me when I called that it would probably be "time and materials" for a rebuild. About a month after I sent it in, it showed up back at my door, completely rebuilt, with a two page list of the things they had done to it. And there was no charge for it, not even the shipping back to me.

Considering that I had owned the press for the better part of 20 years, and it had seen considerable use, I was pleased as punch with their service. I gave the rebuilt Pro-Jector to a good friend, and bought a new LnL for myself, which I'm still using.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I wore out a Hornady Pro-Jector after about 400,000 rounds loaded on it. I called Hornady and they said to send it in and they would look at it and decide if it could be rebuilt or not. They told me when I called that it would probably be "time and materials" for a rebuild. About a month after I sent it in, it showed up back at my door, completely rebuilt, with a two page list of the things they had done to it. And there was no charge for it, not even the shipping back to me.

Considering that I had owned the press for the better part of 20 years, and it had seen considerable use, I was pleased as punch with their service. I gave the rebuilt Pro-Jector to a good friend, and bought a new LnL for myself, which I'm still using.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Sound like Hornady stands behind their product also. This is going to be a tough decision.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tranders View Post
    Sound like Hornady stands behind their product also. This is going to be a tough decision.
    If you have access to a store that sells both just go get a feel for them in person. I couldn't find a dillon dealer but plenty places had the LNL AP setup for testing. I'm pretty used to doing right hand lever, left hand bullet/brass from so much time on the lee turret so I didn't want to change my method. They are both quality reloading gear.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

I know the Dillon warranty is fantastic,but how is Hornady's ?
    Both have lifetime warranties and anything I asked have gotten for free. RCBS has the best warranty makes Dillon and Hornady both look bad.

Boolit Master
    This should be good!

Boolit Grand Master

When I wore out the base plate on my LnL And it quit ejecting and was hanging up, I called Hornady. They said it was a normal wear item and that I "sure have called to get a lot of things replaced lately"

I ended up purchasing another base plate as they refused to send me one free of charge saying it was a normal wear item and needs to be periodically replaced.

RCBS has always done right by me. Same with Dillon.

Boolit Master

I dropped my RCBS case trimmer damaged the base. All my fault RCBS sent me a new for free. I believe in paying for things under normal wear and tear. If my truck had as many miles as my reloading equipment the truck would be falling apart. Hornady as sent me every part I have asked for free.

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Yeah even Hornady doesn't make the boxes big enough.
    That is strange. Mine fit in the hornady boxes just fine with the bushings on.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    When I wore out the base plate on my LnL And it quit ejecting and was hanging up, I called Hornady. They said it was a normal wear item and that I "sure have called to get a lot of things replaced lately"

I ended up purchasing another base plate as they refused to send me one free of charge saying it was a normal wear item and needs to be periodically replaced.

RCBS has always done right by me. Same with Dillon.
    So how many rounds did you load on it when this happened? So far Hornady has sent me everything that I have broke on my LNL for free. I've only have about 10,000 rounds loaded on it but probably close to double that amount as I use it for decapping before wet cleaning my brass.

I found the best deal on bushings was a conversion pack sold through Cabelas. At the time, I couldn't find another vendor selling the same package even though it was a Hornady item. I slowly bought enough to convert all my dies used for that press.

I see Cabelas still lists them, 6 bushings and adapter for $19.95. Otherwise they show a 3 pack for $15.99.
    Last edited by cheese1566; 10-04-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    I found the best deal on bushings was a conversion pack sold through Cabelas. At the time, I couldn't find another vendor selling the same package even though it was a Hornady item. I slowly bought enough to convert all my dies used for that press.

I see Cabelas still lists them, 6 bushings and adapter for $19.95. Otherwise they show a 3 pack for $15.99.
    That's a great deal. Thank you!

Boolit Buddy
    Just got my kit from Cabela's and it doesn't seem its available from anyone but Cabela's. I have several Hornady boxes I bought as empty replacements. the dies fit fine in those boxes with the bushings attached. Part # for the boxes is 544600. Part nuber for the bushing kit is 44098, but, it doesnt even show up on Hornady's site.
    Universal Die Storage boxes https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...-die-box-large

Hornady warranty is on par with Dillon. No sweat there. The bushings are a great feature you can use or not use, your choice. The only downside on the machine imo is the primer system is a little vague and not super reliable, although it works well enough.
    The machine is cheap enough to buy for a dedicated caliber if you wanted, rendering bushings moot. If Hornady upgraded them to 6 stations or somehow made a powder check system built in they wouldn’t be able to make em fast enough.

One thing that people don’t discuss a lot is the “handed ness” of a presses design. The LNL ap is designed for the operators right arm to pull the lever, and all other tasks loading etc are done with left hand. This is a big contrast to the Dillon 550 which is much more clumsy to me being that you must load the machine from the right side. Ergo win for Hornady. But, I also have 550 and love it for different reasons. I do not load pistol on it ot prime on it though, and I treat it more like a turret press instead. The Hornady cost 1/2 as much as other 5 station prog machines and it’s worth every penny!

Oh ya, one thing that’s nice to do is the “arbor shim mod” it tightens the press up considerably.

I would look more at design and popularity if I were you. I was not a year ago, looking at the LnL versus the Dillon. The LnL just cannot stay problem free for the reloading runs that a Dillon can. The LnL requires more tinkering, period. It is a decent press, but or 650.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    So how many rounds did you load on it when this happened? So far Hornady has sent me everything that I have broke on my LNL for free. I've only have about 10,000 rounds loaded on it but probably close to double that amount as I use it for decapping before wet cleaning my brass.
    Just now coming back around. I'd probably have to guess around 20k or so. I just didn't feel it is a wear item. If I break something, I don't mind replacing or repairing on my dime. The base plate, well, nah, it should hold up better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I would look more at design and popularity if I were you. I was not a year ago, looking at the LnL versus the Dillon. The LnL just cannot stay problem free for the reloading runs that a Dillon can. The LnL requires more tinkering, period. It is a decent press, but or 650.
    But you can buy two Hornady for the price of one 650. If price is a factor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast