Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last Military Issue CB?

Last Military Issue CB?

Hello,

What was the last issue cartridge/rifle in the United States to take a non-jacketed boolit? .45-70 and Sharps?

What about in the world?

Thank you,

Josh

Boolit Bub
    38 special

I would imagine the 1884 model Springfield trapdoor 45-70. As far as other countries; my guess would be the Remington Rolling Block in ?? caliber. The .38 Long Colt was our last lead bullet military handgun cartridge as far as I know.

Boolit Master

I once heard that some .45ACP were lead nose in WWII, but it wasn't from a substantive source.
    BDGR

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Tex is right, 1884 Springfield .45-70 and the .38 Long Colt revolver cartridge.

The M1909 .45 revolver and the Krag were always jacketed.

While .38 Special was a WW2 substitute standard issue lead bullets were only for CONUS, FMJ rounds were sent to combat zones.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    What about the lonely .22? Didn't they issue them to special ops in Vietnam ?

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    The 311284 was designed for the 30US, or so I have seen said many times. Pretty sure Dad was packing LRN in his .38 Smith as an MP in the Corp in the '50's IIRC.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    As loaded for issue rounds. Last general issue (as opposed to limited issue/trials rifles)

US - M1888 Springfield "Ramrod Bayonet" rifle. .45-70
    UK - Long Lever Martini-Henry 450/577
    Fra - M1874/80 Gras 11x59r (not sure if the m1885 Kropacheck made it to general issue, same cartridge)
    Ger - M1871/84 Mauser 11x60r
    Rus - Berdan II 4.2 line (10.75x58r)
    Jap - Meiji type 13 11x60 Murata
    Ita - M1870/87 Vetterli-Vitali 10.35x47r
    A-H - Mannlicher M1886 11x58r

That's all the major powers in the China Relief Expedition. Lots of Rolling Blocks and Comblains around the world.

Wouldn't those be swaged projectiles?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned
    22's were FMJ, I still have some

Boolit Master

Do plated soilds count. British 380/200 was a plated lead soild 200gr. I have some from the 70s, they were police ammo but the same as the issue ammo used untill the late 50s.
    be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

There's a Frankford Arsenal box and some ammo for the 1909 on Mc Pheeter's website.
    Looks like lead boolits with bases dated 1911, 1912 and 1913.
    The 725 FPS noted on the box is interesting.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Are you talking "true" cast or "lead boolits"? Thumb cocker makes an excellent point that I was going to bring up. So many people talk about such things as the cast lead minie balls used during the Civil War and paint images of soldiers sitting over campfires using bullet molds. Yes, those who may have brought their own rifles such as some
    Confederates or who brought their own pistols - may have had to cast their own but ammunition was issued and the majority of minie balls were "swaged" on swaging machines at arsenals using lead wire - the same as most imported ammunition.

I'm not an expert but I would have to believe that if minie balls were swaged during the Civil War, later ammuniton produced at Arsenals had their projectiles produced in the same manner? Not getting"picky" but actually asking if this is true or not. I've seen gang molds over the years advertised as "Asenal molds" - such as for 45 caliber Springfields and even 30-40 Krag. I have often wondered if they are actually "Arsenal Molds".

So while the question is being addressed - maybe some one could clarify on this as to were those produced during the Indian Wars time period up to the Span Am period actually "cast" or were they "swaged"?

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    For Denmark all military handguns still used lead bullets until the end of WWII.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leebuilder View Post
    Do plated soilds count. British 380/200 was a plated lead soild 200gr. I have some from the 70s, they were police ammo but the same as the issue ammo used untill the late 50s.
    be well
    I think the standard issue .38 British revolver cartridge of WW2 used a 170 grain jacketed bullet.
    The original pre WW2 load used a 200 grain boolit and the round was then designated the .38/200.
    There were probably rounds of both types issued at any one time.
    A similar 200 gr police load for the .38 S&W was also available.

The Germans once threatened to execute some American MPs captured with lead boolit .38 special ammunition in their revolvers. It was legal for MPs to use lead boolits but only in the role of LEO.
    Later on when US MPs had to engage German hold outs in Paris they were issued captured German MP40 and other such infantry weapons to take the place of their Shotguns and revolvers.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    The Haag of 1899 only works if all combatants agree to adhere to it, remember gas during WWI?
    It is a no no but widely used none the less.

There are many a story of the evil Germans threatening to shoot allies with lead bullets as long ago as WWI.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    22's were FMJ, I still have some
    In the early '60s (some?, any which were interested?, all?) Army units had Hi-Standard pistols and .22 match ammo available for troops who wished to sign them out. At least two different units (1 USAREUR Germany, 1 SETAF Italy) I am aware of. Perhaps the FMJ (copper plated or real FMJ?) were issued to war zone use?
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Banned
    Real FMJ made by Remington.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    hong kong or china in the 2000s gave their secondary police, typists meter maids and desk riders, revolvers chambered in a round very similar to the 38 smith and Wesson. In the few photos I have SEEN of the ammunition or gun when it came out, one of the loadings used a lead bullet.
    Likely issued during the British Colony days and left. Most probably were the Webley Mark IV .38-200 or Enfield #2 Mark I * ** *** same caliber.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master
    I would have to say last cast bullet was some time in the 1820-30's when the minie ball came into standard use they were swaged on water or steam powered machines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast