Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best shot size for rats

Boolit Mold

best shot size for rats

hello all I am looking to make some shot shells for .44 mag and wondered what size shot would be most suitable for rats and possibly rabbits out to a range of 15'

Boolit Buddy
    I would say 7 1/2 , or 8 shot should do well. I shoot 9 shot out of my 4" bbl .357 and they pattern pretty well at 15'. I would shoot a rabbit that far with mine, so a .44 will hold quite a bit more payload than my .357 . Just my .02 - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Banned

7-1/2 would be my minimum size, you need some decent penetration for those.
    weight will get you there easier than velocity.

Boolit Master
    I particularly like 6's in my Contender 45/410 pistol if rabbits are the primary target.

Boolit Master
    I am partial to something in the 330 grn to 500grn myself but our rats here are huge and walk upright they've even taken to invading homes in the urban areas, but in the barn I prefer #6or 7 1/2 they're the four legged ones there

In Remembrance

A point that hasn`t been addressed is the pellet count for pellet size used. I believe at the distance mentioned #7 1/2 would be the choice.Robert

Vendor Sponsor
    I suggest the 1 1/2 ounce size or larger depending on the rat in question.

Since you mentioned rabbits- #7-1/2. For just rats- #12 is the ticket. And easier on the barn.

In Remembrance

In the past people, I don`t see often, are prone to ask "Why do you own an elephant gun like your .416 Taylor"? I reply with as straight a face as I can "To control the rat and mice populations out in my barn - I`ve already got the rogue elephants in check"!Robert

Boolit Master

how many rats you got? chickens? hogs?

I've loaded #9 in my .44spl shot loads and they perform well on rats.

To answer ascast's question, it doesn't take much to attract rats. I have a few laying hens and once a rat finds out there's a food source, the whole family moves in before you know it. I shot close to a dozen this summer with a variety of guns, but most with .22lr shot shells out of my single-six. The .44 was a little loud...I also had to move the chicken and dog food into steel cans, as the damn rats chewed through the heavy-duty Rubbermaid cans I was using.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Banned
    When I was raising ducks the only way I got the rats under control was to put all the laying mash and cracked corn in those steel/galvanized cans that have a locking lever otherwise the rats will get into anything not made out of steel. I had one rat terrier that was h--l on wheels for rat control he was also good at chewing up snakes too.

An air rifle and a night scope for rats...https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...th+air+guns... you can baggem all night long.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Use 7 1/2 in 444 Marlin brass shot out of a H&R 410 rifle. Use the same ammo in a S&W Governor for shooting rattle snakes at the deer lease.

Back in the day we used to hunt rats around the hog and chicken lots at night with standard 22 lr rat shot and it did a fine job on them so I think anything within reason out of a 44 mag. would do fine. If you have the ability I would load up some test loads with various shot sizes an do some pattern test and see what your particular gun likes an go form there.

Use a air rifle on the rats. Sharpen your rifle skills.

I made a comparison between the CCI .22 LR and the brass old school Winchester here while back. The target was a coke can in front of a cardboard box at 15 feet. The Win. load was clearly superior. Test gun was my Single-Six.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Don't have any rats? THANK the POSSUMS! They compete with rats for the same food groups. Best rat control you can get!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Doug- years ago my wife and I were lounging on the beach in Ziuatanejo, Mexico on a moonlit night. I saw what I thought was a rat scrounging for food under the beach chairs of the people in front of us. I ran up there and grabbed it by the back of the neck. Lo and behold it was a black possum! After the screams died down I carried him to the trees and chunked him back into the jungle. The tour group kept one eye on me after that.....

Boolit Bub
    For rat sized critters I would say #12. Rabbits I would want a larger shot like 7 1/2. I get overrun by packrats. They make huge messes. #12 works just fine on them.
    It ain't bent, Ned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast