RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Lee factory crimp die (Rifle)

Lee factory crimp die (Rifle)

Does the Lee factory crimp die for rifle calibers remove the case flair ok? I was wondering how well I would have to make sure it is removed in the seating die. Sort of a balance between the seating die taper crimp and the factory crimp. If it makes any difference it's 300 blackout and the seating die may be a toss up between a Hornady or a Lee.

Playing with a NOE expander plug tonight got me thinking.
    Last edited by Boolit_Head; 09-27-2017 at 10:00 PM.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Bub
    I use them for .223 and 8Kurz regularly with good results.
    Pete

Boolit Buddy
    I believe that using a rifle factory crimp die on any semi-auto, like an AR-15 300 BKO is a good idea..
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

Boolit Master
    Get in it

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I leave the bell on my bolt actions. I crimp slightly for Grendel and 30-30 to keep the bullets in place during feeding.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I have been using the Lee factory crimp die on several .30 calibers with cast and j-words for many years. I fell they add a lot to accuracy, without allowing any set-back of the boolet or bullet when feeding with bolt or semiautomatics. They remove the slight flare I put on during loading.

Boolit Master
    Use the Lee crimp die on 308 Win with powder coated and paper patched bullets. Removes the bell and can be adjusted to the crimp diameter desired. The Lee die is very useful on paper patched bullets where the case neck is not sized with paper patched bullets.

Arguably one of the best products Lee makes. I use it for all non-bolt action rifles and the vast majority of pistols. It’s easily adjustable and repeatable and yes, it will remove the case flair. I like the amount of adjustment it offers. I can get a fairly light crimp if loading for a 9mm semi-auto carbine or a substantially hard crimp when loading the 45-70 lever.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, the FCD for rifles will remove the flare. When I load cast bullets I just adjust the collet die to very slightly touch the case neck, just enough to straighten out the case mouth, with no actual crimp...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 18Bravo View Post
    Arguably one of the best products Lee makes. I use it for all non-bolt action rifles and the vast majority of pistols. It’s easily adjustable and repeatable and yes, it will remove the case flair. I like the amount of adjustment it offers. I can get a fairly light crimp if loading for a 9mm semi-auto carbine or a substantially hard crimp when loading the 45-70 lever.
    I totally agree. If you reload 32-20 they are almost indispensable if you would prefer to avoid ruined cases when crimping.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Another fan, especially for all the leverguns I reload for.

I use a Lee FCD for every caliber I reload. You will never bulge another rifle case neck using one of these collet-type tools.

In short, the Lee FCD works and works well.

Such is my experience....

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Yes. I use the FCD for all my loads.

Boolit Master
    I agree. The collet type FCD is very likely the best tool Lee ever marketed. It's funny how many people use them yet don't fully understand how they do what they do.

Just one fun fact: The crimp is applied to exactly the same position in distance from the shell holder (therefore the exact same location of the casing) regardless of how the tool is adjusted. If you can grasp how this is done you are well on your way to fully understanding the tool.

Motor

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I just received my first Lee FCD for 7.7 Japanese in the mail yesterday, and searched the forum AFTER I got it.........wondering if I made an error in judgement. This thread was a relief as I was beginning to worry if it would distort my carefully cast and sized boolits....evidently not. I'll load some rounds this morning and take my type 99 to the range this afternoon.

Now, if they only made their collet neck sizing die in 7.7..............

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    They do/will in custom services. Quote from their site below. Had them make one for me one time.

"Collet Necksizing Dies

For the best accuracy, longest case life and no resizing lubricant. Only the neck of the case is resized. The body is untouched--retains perfect fit to your guns chamber. Cases should be fired in your firearm only and reloaded rounds are intended for use in your firearm only. These are the favorite of the bench rest crowd, as there is no other die that can produce a more accurate cartridge. The Collet Neck Sizing Die is not recommended for Auto Loaders, Slide or Lever Action Guns.

If you wish to order online, contact us first so we can advise if the cartridge you are looking for can be produced, we will then give you the ordering link."

GD

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    I just received my first Lee FCD for 7.7 Japanese in the mail yesterday, and searched the forum AFTER I got it.........wondering if I made an error in judgement. This thread was a relief as I was beginning to worry if it would distort my carefully cast and sized boolits....evidently not. I'll load some rounds this morning and take my type 99 to the range this afternoon.

Just start with it backed off and slowly adjust it down. You can look down into it from the top and visually monitor the gap between the fingers. Plus the tool has good "feel" you will be able to tell when you actually start to close the case mouth.

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not particularly a Lee fan, but their FCD is a lifesaver. When I started loading for 30-30 I wanted to tear my hair out because it was so easy to collapse those thin necks/shoulders. The FCD solves that problem perfectly.

Boolit Master
    Use one for 223 and 308 work well with all types of bullet/boolits.