Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about your Cummins 5.9L

Boolit Master

Tell me about your Cummins 5.9L

In the market as it were--so I stopped today and looked as some trucks. Found a 2006 Dodge Ram, 5.9L Cummins, 46K miles.
    What kind of mileage do y'all get with yours?
    What don't you like about your 5.9?
    Thanks in advance!
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master
    I am sure those more familiar with the engine will chime in, but I have heard that '06 was the last year before they put the system in that burned carbon particulates and dropped the compression ratio. In other words, the last year of a really good engine.

Boolit Master

I do not like the VP44 injection pump and the expense that it requires to replace. However if you don't starve it for fuel I guess it is okay. The engine itself is rock solid.

Banned
    I owned a 3/4 ton Dodge with the old 12 valve Cummins that had the mechanical injection pump. I owned it for 17 years. The engine was fantastic. The rest of the truck was junk.

The good: The engine itself was bulletproof. It always got me home. That truck got 19 miles to the gallon regardless of the speed and load but the mileage would suffer in cold weather. Diesels require some basic knowledge to operate but I had that knowledge and never had a serious problem.

The bad: I owned a lot of Chrysler products before that truck but I doubt I'll ever buy another. Can't blame the Cummins engine for the Dodge related problems. The cab leaked. I rebuilt everything on the front end at least once and some parts 4 times. Rear axle seals went at 60K. Fuel gauge sending unit died after about 7 years. Parts of the fuel system were made by monkeys and they we not the smart monkeys. With the application of nylon ties and epoxy you could make the heating & A/C controls work for more than a week at a time - if you were careful. The automatic transmission on mine actually worked but it required very vigilant maintenance; other people reported less favorable results. The front brake calipers required a great deal of attention or they would seize. With some careful maintenance they would work OK; not the best design I've seen.

So, in a nutshell: the Cummins 12 valve engine was GREAT. I wish I could have pulled it out and installed it in another chassis with a different body.

Boolit Master
    Another vote against the VP44 injector pump in the 2nd generation models. Replaced mine almost 2 years ago (2nd time), but instead of replacing the OEM lift pump with same, I went with the FASS system. Hoping that will make the $1,400 VP44 go longer than 75,000 miles.
    Mine gets 17 MPG. Used to get 19, but about one to two years after I bought it, had to take it in for one the many factory recalls and while they had it for that, they re-flashed the chip and I lost about 5% of my power and 10% of my fuel mileage. Tried to get them to flash it back to original specs and they said, no dice, was done on orders from the CARB (state pollution NAZIs).

I bought the truck specifically for the Cummins engine. Sadly, I also got stuck with the piece of karp Dodge that comes wrapped around the Cummins.
    Last edited by smokeywolf; 09-28-2017 at 12:01 AM. Reason: accuracy
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    I had a 2000 for 15 years, now I have a 2013 with the 6.9. The weak spot in the VP44 is the lift pump that feeds it. Another vote here for the FASS system. I put 120k on mine after the FASS with no problems. Factory torque converters on the automatics are soft to protect the transmission on the 47re, not sure what the '06 has. Loved the engine, cab was pretty good, front end suspension and transmission were the weak points on mine.

Banned

My son in law has 99 that has over 300k on it. Sure its had a couple tranny rebuilds and a bit of fuel injection problems, steering components, starters altenators ect. But like he says It was paid off with 70k on it and its a heck of a lot cheaper to keep running then it would be to make a payment on a new one. I know for a fact that the shortblock and heads have never been off it or ever needed work. he said he will consider a new one when this one has 500k on it. Personaly I think that if you not capable of turning a wrench you should stay away from ANY high milage vehicle. There all going to cost money to keep on the road and probably more so with a used diesel truck because a good many were used as trucks and some problems they may have are very expensive to fix especially if you cant do it yourself. Hes a diesel mechanic by trade so that's no problem for him.

Boolit Master
    A low milage '06, I would buy it. that is the last year of the good common rail system, the best engine.

I got the '98 24 valve, mine is the so-called weakest of the bunch, due to the VP44. 250,000 miles and I put 1 injector pump on it.
    I got the 2.50 rear gears and have had 26mpg empty hiway, had as much as 21mpg towing a 30' travel trailer.
    the interior parts is the weakest part of the whole truck

Boolit Master
    I think the 2003 thru 2006 did not have the vp44 and where the best of the 5.9.
    My 2001 had the vp44, the dash that falls apart and backed door that doe not open.

Banned
    The Cummins 6BT 12 valve engine with the mechanical Bosch P7100 injector pump were the most reliable and durable Cummins Turbo diesels used by Chrysler. They also produced the least amount of power. That system did not use a common rail and the injectors were purely mechanical.
    Those early trucks used a fuel heater that was prone to failure and would introduce air into the fuel system. The fuel heater really wasn't needed and could be modified so that it wouldn't leak but that mod also eliminated the heater function.

In 1998 the 24 valve engine came out and somewhere in there the injector pumps changed and the common rail system was introduced. Those later engines produced more power but were not as reliable.

Increased complexity = increased failures.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 09-29-2017 at 10:53 AM.

Boolit Master

I have a 2005 (3rd gen), 2wd auto (48RE), 2500 series. I purchased it new. I would buy it again.
    It has pulled everything I've hooked to it, and asked for more.

Now to answer your questions. I get 18-20 MPG. I drive like someone looking to get good mileage, but I don't try to hyper-mile.

Best tank ever was 26mpg, I was driving steady 65, no trailer, no cargo. I've been called into question about the mpg figures, but I hand calculate every tank. I know how to do basic math.

I have done some mods.
    Trans - shift kit, billet torque converter, external filter, billet flexplate, a few other bits and pieces.

Engine - Banks computer (I love it, some don't), aftermarket exhaust manifold, aftermarket intercooler.

4" mandrel bent exhaust, free flow muffler. I left the cat on it - as of now there are no inspections here, but I expect that to change.

I expect the Cummins will outlast the Dodge that is wrapped around it.

Boolit Master
    All good info--Thanks a lot fellas!
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

I have an 03 2500, 4wd, quad cab, nv5600 with 274392 miles. I bought it used 2 years ago & don't regret it for a second. I haul a Kubota L3430 on a 18' bumper pull with no problems. I haul hay, horses, firewood, feed or anything else that needs hauled & never missed a beat. I get 18-20mpg unloaded & 15-16mpg loaded. Keep a spare water pump & baldwin fuel filter on hand, they seem to go out at the worst possible time but are easy to change. Buy E rated tires & try to stay around the stock size. I get about 35-40k on a set, these trucks are heavy. I had to get used to the nearly $100 oil changes but I go about 7k on a change & change the air filter & fuel filter every other time or as needed. I'm happy with mine so far but truth be told I could do 80% of what I need to do with a gas burner. Everything on a HPR Cummins is expensive, cp3 pump, injectors, sensors, lift pumps,etc. I looked at both before I made a purchase but I wanted a Cummins so that's what I got, the dodge just happened to be what it was wrapped in.
    http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...psmbeiip5m.jpg

Boolit Master
    I had a 93 3/4 ton with the Cummins. Great engine but **** truck. Multiple automatic transmission rebuilds, front and rear end rebuild (does Dana build junk just for Dodge?) Brake problems including loosing front brake pads twice - they fell off and pedal went to the floor, rust if you look at it wrong. I loved that engine though. Tons of power pulling heavy trailers, smooth running, great mileage. I won't ever own a diesel pickup again though. It was hard to start in the winter unless you plugged it in, oil changes and maintenance was expensive, and don't laugh, but just getting fuel was a hassle. Usually only one diesel pump at small town stations that someone with a gas car was already using, and the stuff stinks no matter how careful you are. Not enough benefits for a diesel for me to put up with the drawbacks.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    I had a 93 3/4 ton with the Cummins. Great engine but **** truck. Multiple automatic transmission rebuilds, front and rear end rebuild (does Dana build junk just for Dodge?) Brake problems including loosing front brake pads twice - they fell off and pedal went to the floor, rust if you look at it wrong. I loved that engine though. Tons of power pulling heavy trailers, smooth running, great mileage. I won't ever own a diesel pickup again though. It was hard to start in the winter unless you plugged it in, oil changes and maintenance was expensive, and don't laugh, but just getting fuel was a hassle. Usually only one diesel pump at small town stations that someone with a gas car was already using, and the stuff stinks no matter how careful you are. Not enough benefits for a diesel for me to put up with the drawbacks.
    My experience was similar to most of that.
    I never had problems starting the engine in cold weather, even without the block heater plugged in (although that made it wayyyyyy easier). The Cummins didn't use glowplugs, it had an intake heater to pre-heat the air going into the head. If you cycled it twice and had good batteries, it would start even in single digit temps. It didn't want to start,... but it would.
    I did my own work but yes, an oil change wasn't cheap. I would purchase a case of oil and have one can left over after filling the crankcase. The engine didn't burn oil so after 4 or 5 oil changes I would have 4 or 5 spare cans of oil. That was the only time I didn't buy oil by the case !

As for Dana building junk just for Chrysler, I thought I was the only person to believe that but I'm glad to hear others noticed it as well. I've seen Dana axles run for decades in other vehicles without a hiccup. Not in a Dodge.

I actually think diesel engines are worth the extra measures they require but couldn't agree more that the Dodge truck they wrapped around that great engine was S***.

Boolit Mold
    Recently finished swapping a 12 valve from a 93 dodge into a 84 one ton Chevy solving the problem of a bad truck wrapped around a good engine. Been driving it about a month and a half and loving it. Getting 18 or 19 mpg

Sent from my Z798BL using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

owned a 2003 3500 dually... Pulled a 48 ft 21,000 lb trailer my son and I traveled from NC to Texas and Florida to Canada 2 weekends a month for 5 years vending at paintball tournaments
    It also pulled a 32 ft camper to Sturgis SD twice .. from NC
    best truck I ever owned
    on the road with a load per above 15-17 MPH
    unloaded in the country or highway 22-24 MPH Yes That's correct not a misprint .. in the city about 17-19 depending on how much I wanted to show off
    only mods done were a chip and a cold air box

Lucas fuel treatment in EVERY fill up

never had a minutes problem Take that back had a switch/solenoid go out in the tranny at 101,000 lost first gear
    dealer said the transmission needed to be rebuilt .. old trans repairman in the country said no its a switch $200.00 and you will be on the road again .. Sold the truck in 2009 Still running strong
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 09-29-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

I bought my 2001 ten years ago with 110,000 miles on it for $10,000 dollars. It had been rode hard pulling concrete form trailers since new. It now has 210,000 miles on it and is much cheaper to keep going than payments on a new rig. Motor is still strong but needs fuel system work and the body is about to fall off. Always bought Ford trucks but think this Dodge 4X4 may be the best dollar spent truck I've ever owned. Gp

My Dodge with a Cummins is a 1997 1 ton, I bought used in 99. At purchase it had 62k. I bought it cuz I had worn out my older 1987 3/4 ton with a 318 and 4 speed by pulling my mules all over Idaho. That was a vast improvement, trust me. The 3/4 ton did great for what it was but when I got a bigger trailer and could shove 6 head plus all the accrutaments on board it just pulled it's poor guts out. The 1 ton obviously handled the load much better and the Cummins could provide the needed torque. Once we crossed the 100k threshold and got out of warranty I did some tuning on the Bosch pump to suit my needs a little better. I did not want to squeal tires and leave black smoke filling the sky, just move a load consistantly. It does what I ask as far as moving a load, but my boys (when they were younger) soon developed the habit of saying "black smoke them hippy's Dad" as we would roll through town somewhere and pull away from a stop light. It does throw a little black smoke if you make it, but it also rolls over the next hill without having to downshift. The old girl just crossed 180k, I sold the mules, haul tractors now, and as soon as I get the doors and paint put back on all is well. It is a Dodge. JW

Boolit Master
    I've got the best of both worlds. 5.9 Cummins in a '79 F250 extended cab Ford. It is a '89 Cummins with stock tune so it's no power house compared to the newer ones, but will pull anything I have put behind it and gets 20+ mpg empty. Over 350000 miles on the engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast