Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me about your Cummins 5.9L

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    As for Dana building junk just for Chrysler, I thought I was the only person to believe that but I'm glad to hear others noticed it as well. I've seen Dana axles run for decades in other vehicles without a hiccup. Not in a Dodge.
    Honest truth MY FIL worked for 32 years at DANA axle in Syracuse IN. He is extremely honest and told me that when parts failed to pass for chevy that they would just dropped them into the Chrysler order because Chrysler did not check the parts. Scouts Honor my friends.

Boolit Man
    When it comes to diesels nothing beats a 5.9 for reliability. Mileage for me was always about 20mpg could squeeze a bit better our of it on longer trips but nothing drastic.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Banned
    I drove a 2005 dodge with a Cummins for almost 7 years , it was a company truck .
    When It was handed down to me it already a bit over 100,000 miles .
    One of our mechanics had already changed the lift pump to an aftermarket pump and put a cold air intake on it .

It was a 6 speed with 4:10 gears .. regular cab, single wheel , one ton
    When It left me it had a bit over 240,000 miles .
    Other then regular maintenance the engine gave zero problems .
    The rest of the truck was a different story .

The complete front end was rebuilt three times , .. tie rods , track bars ball joints , bushings .. the works . .it was due for another rebuild when it was replaced . the front end sucked .

It also went threw two expensive transmissions and one clutch .
    I lost count of how many universals it went threw , more then 10 is all I can say .

It also needed one intercooler and two radiators ... but I'm inclined to blame them on the fact that the truck spent a lot of time under rough conditions .

Two rear differentials and two right front axles .

Fuel mileage. .. I'll blame the gearing for the lousy fuel mileage .
    Normal driving it averaged 13-14 mpg , if you pulled something heavy it would drop down to 11 mpg .

My opinion on the truck ... overall it wasnt a bad truck considering the life it lead .
    Engine was good ... but the rest of the truck left something to be desired .

My biggest complaint. .. engine noise ! There was many a day I spent all day in the truck , it got tiresome listening to the noise .
    Good engine yea , plenty of power .. yea . But it's still a noisy engine and at the end of the day it didn't do anything that a gas engine couldn't .
    Unless I was pulling a heavy trailer day in and day out I'd go with a gas engine every day . .. cheaper to buy and maintain.
    And with diesel always more money the regular gas in my neck of the woods there's not any money saved on fuel .

The noise man .. the noise .

And Let's not forget the ever lingering stink of diesel fuel

Boolit Bub
    I have a 06 2500 60-65 mph I got 19-20mpg loaded 12 mpg. If you get it I would put a fass system on it also it a 4x4 extended cab 8ft. bed six speed. 2006 did not have the pollution stuff on it . Just make sure you change fuel filter regular . I just put the fass on mine doing injectors next. Didn't take care of filter hitting me in back pocket now.

Boolit Master
    I had the FASS lift pump/filters put on and injectors replaced when I had the VP44 replaced a couple of years ago. Also had to have the speed sensor in the differential replaced.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12