Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What 45 Colt Lever to Get? Marlin, Rossi, Henry?

Boolit Buddy

What 45 Colt Lever to Get? Marlin, Rossi, Henry?

I'm itching to get a 45 colt lever rifle. I have a s&w 45 colt revolver, not sure the model. Figure since I cast, might as well get a rifle I can hopefully use the same boolits for.

So far I think Uberti's are out of my price range. A local shop does have one for $900 and I imagine it's been there awhile, maybe offer $800? Taxes and DROS and I'm $900.

Rossi 92 45 colts look nice but read the action is long and needs work.

What's in the $750 and below range? Or is that not going to happen?

i think the Henry Big Boy is in that price range.

I love my Henry BBS short carbine. Have no regrets.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Killer View Post
    i think the Henry Big Boy is in that price range.
    You might even get it a little cheaper than that if you have a friend with an FFL that wll order one for you.
    I have 4 Henry's, a Marlin, and a couple of Rossi's.

It's not even a competition.
    Henry, hands down.

Vendor Sponsor

After reading over the various levergun threads for the last few years, I think the Henry is the clear winner simply because it has less issues than the others.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by psychbiker View Post

I'm itching to get a 45 colt lever rifle.

Rossi 92 45 colts look nice but read the action is long and needs work.

I bought two different .45 Rossi M-92's earlier this year (from different sellers), for some friends who were looking for one, for $500 each.

Additionally, I've had one for about 10 years, and have had zero issues with it.

All 3 ran like a champ, right out of the box.

If you get one, and it turns out to have cycling issues, it's fairly easy to smooth one out - get the dvd here: www.stevesgunz.com

I mounted a Skinner LoPro peepsight where the bolt top safety once resided (it zeroed in 3 shots, using the issue front sight), and replaced the rear barrel iron/open sight with a self-made dovetail slot filler made from the dovetail section of a scrounge box longleaf rear bbl sight.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Real men use loading gates. Buy a Marlin.

I myself find the loading gate to be a non issue. You won't regret a Henry. A Big Boy Steel can be had for about 650. Check Buds Guns...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...y_steel_45colt

Also don't discount a Mossberg lever gun. Many people here are very satisfied with them. And they are priced right. Not sure if they chamber one in 45 Colt though
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 09-28-2017 at 07:59 AM.

Upon further research, it seems Mossberg is only producing 30- 30's, and .22 LR in the 464. I thought they would have expanded their clambering offers by now?

Boolit Buddy
    I have heard that the Henry's .45C has a much slower twist and can have accuracy problems with anything past Cowboys Action type loads. For that reason, I am considering he Rossi.

Quote Originally Posted by Schreck5 View Post
    I have heard that the Henry's .45C has a much slower twist and can have accuracy problems with anything past Cowboys Action type loads. For that reason, I am considering he Rossi.
    The Henry is listed on the website as a 1 in 16 twist. After a short search on Rossi's website, I couldn't find the 45 Colt twist rate. Maybe someone who has one can chime in.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 09-28-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I like the Rossi guns! I have a nice EMF 24 inch 1892. Shoots great with cowboy loads, I just wish it would run Schofields.

Boolit Master
    Henry or Rossi would get my vote, unless you are looking for an OLD marlin not the remlins being made currently. I'd like to add a henry to my collection once the finances allow.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    The Henry is listed on the website as a 1 in 16 twist. After a short search on Rossi's website, I couldn't find the 45 Colt twist rate. Maybe someone who has one can chime in.

The barrel twist rate for all CF Rossi leverguns is 1 turn in 30", for all calibers (.357, .44Mag, .45Colt).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I’ve had a Rossi M92 in 45 Colt with the 20-inch barrel for several years now. It has been absolutely reliable. Scout mounted a 3-9 x 32 scope and use it primarily as a farm gun. It sees second duties as a back up to the 45/70 on pig hunts. Doing a quick search, they seem to be in short supply at the moment. A few 16” blued and stainless but few if any in the 20” versions.
    Here’s a great link I use when looking for the “deals”.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_...8%20?view=list

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=pietro;4164050]The barrel twist rate for all CF Rossi leverguns is 1 turn in 30", for all calibers (.357, .44Mag, .45Colt).

.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info. I knew it was something like that but wasn't sure enough to post.

Boolit Master

If your mounting a scope, Marlin. Open sights, Miroku 1892. Henry is probably ok as well. I only have one, but it's not a .45 it's in .327, but it seems to work well and is accurate. It does use a proprietary scope mount (40.00) The Marlin uses a conventional weaver base. The new Marlin Cowboy is above your price point but the standard carbine is in the running.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    If your mounting a scope, Marlin. Open sights, Miroku 1892. Henry is probably ok as well. I only have one, but it's not a .45 it's in .327, but it seems to work well and is accurate. It does use a proprietary scope mount (40.00) The Marlin uses a conventional weaver base. The new Marlin Cowboy is above your price point but the standard carbine is in the running.
    Just for record, the Henry Big Boy Steel (manufactured after 2012?) uses the same Weaver 63B mount as the Marlin 336 and 1895 (less then 10 bucks on Midway USA). The brass Big Boy uses a cantilever type mount.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 09-28-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schreck5 View Post
    No issues at all for the 45 colt Henry..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-7 45 colt.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	204821

As for the loading gate, I'm liking the tube better. Don't think I'm gonna have to hunker down behind my dead horse and fight off injuns any time soon.. and yes, I do own a passel of Marlins

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    Just for record, the Henry Big Boy Steel (manufactured after 2012?) uses the same Weaver 63B mount as the Marlin 336 and 1895 (less then 10 bucks on Midway USA). The brass Big Boy uses a cantilever type mount.
    Bought a Henry in 327 couple days ago and the 63B base did not fit. Hole spacing wasn't even close. The mount is not cantilevered, it mounts directly above the receiver. A cantilever mount attaches on the barrel and extends over the receiver. Possibly difference in the size of the receiver? The OP is asking about a .45 and this isn't but it is called a "Big Boy Steel" May apply, may not but something to watch if your in the market.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast