Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee seating plug problem

Banned

Lee seating plug problem

I bought a:

Lee Precision 3 Die 9-mm Makarov Carbide LP90176
    Lee Precision 365-95-1R Double Cavity Mold LP90466
    The seating plug leaves a round impression on top of boolit when seating 17bhn alloy.

You would think the Lee seating plug would work with the Lee mold

I called Lee and they said 1 size fits many. I asked for the # of the plug and found they use the same plug for 9MM, 357, 9x18 and several other calibers I miked the plug @ B.SEAT PLUG 9MM SKU: SB2280 .353 dia 1.2245 long.

The customer service guy said "if I send them a boolit cast from their mold " They could make me a plug that works for $8 + shipping.

I can't see how a .353 plug can work for a .365 (.368) boolit.

I'm looking for ideas.

Is there a member that makes the proper sized plug?

Boolit Buddy
    Never tried this but I heard of people taking a little ball of that two part epoxy paste and putting in the seating plug. Then embed the bullet in the putty. I don't know if this would help you or not.

Boolit Master

I had rings around my noses for 9mm and 30 cal. I pollished the edges and uses gentler easy pressure to seat the bullets. Solved my problems

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I use various Lee dies and sometimes get the same thing but never bad enough that I worry about it. No different than using a seating stem for say a Lyman or a RCBS that doesn't exactly match the profile of the nose of the boolit I'm using. With the Lee dies, to give the devil their due, the do interchange things for various dies - but I'm sure other die makers do as well.

CIC mentions a "cure" that is often used. If the boolit you are using is one that you are always going to use, modify the Lee seating plug with some JB or similar material to "customize" it to you boolit.

I have a 311 mold (don't remember which Lyman number) that I use for my 30-30 Marlin and Winchester - it's a RN mold and a flat nose is supposed to be used in a tubular magazine. I use a Lyman seating die and the seating stem in it, with the lead I'm using to cast with, puts a nice flat nose on the round nose design when I seat the boolit. The boolit shoots very well out of both of my 30-30s so sometimes a seating stem that doesen't conform to the nose of the boolit can be an advantage.

When I encounter this I just chuck it up in my lathe and hit the sharp edges with some emery cloth
    Last edited by Retumbo; 09-27-2017 at 09:14 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    If it is not too far off I have used valve grinding compound to lap the plugs for a perfect fit. I cut a grove in bullet and smear grinding compound. I chuck either bullet or stem in large drill. periodically stop and clean both and repeat. Both get hot so be careful if you try this method. rotating one or the other out of axis will lap the shoulder faster. Don't be stingy with bullets. After they wear, replace with new one.

Banned
    Lots of good ideas, thank you

I got a ball grinding attachment for my Dremel from HF, ground the end closer to flat on my belt sander then rounded out the inside with the dremel. Will let you know how if worked

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The seating plug leaves a round impression on top of boolit when seating 17bhn alloy.
    Easy fix - hot glue gun - fill pug cavity with glue - spit on the bullet nose - rub in the hot glue - remove excess glue from the plug rim - readjust the seating die height = perfect as cast bullet noses. I do this all the time with various die plugs that put a ring on the noses
    Regards
    John

Banned
    I'd forgotten about that. I bet you also spit on your hands to get a better grip like we all used to.

Boolit Master

I have epoxied several.......
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

It may be unsightly but doesn't affect accuracy.

Boolit Master
    I have used the hot glue process several times. The fun side of using this process (rather than a permanent fix like JB weld or 2-part epoxy) is that if the final product is not to my liking I can heat the glue pad and make adjustments or even remove it completely. I commonly apply a slight dab of light oil to the nose of the donor boolit used to form the final cavity in the seating stem.

Boolit Master

I use hot glue also.

I don't shoot well enough to notice a difference in shooting with or without the "nose-ring". The loaded rounds, however, do look better without the "nose-ring", as do most females.

Boolit Grand Master

I had rings around my noses for 9mm and 30 cal. I pollished the edges and uses gentler easy pressure to seat the bullets. Solved my problems
    Me too. The "problem" is only cosmetic. No differences in function or accuracy...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned
    Sanding the end flatter and shaping with the ball tool on the Dremil didn't work. the plug has a deep cavity possibly for spire point boollits. I'll try the glus next.

PS I did some hollow pointing by putting a dril bit in my RCBS case trimmer, works OK BUT you have to make sur the boolit is lined up right. Got a few off centered HP

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    The customer service guy said "if I send them a boolit cast from their mold " They could make me a plug that works for $8 + shipping.
    I would take Lee up on their offer.

I make Lee TL452-230-2R (230 gr, round nose .45's) using BHN 10 alloy. I've never seen an indentation on the nose.

Are you sure you are flairing enough, which allows the boolit to slip in easier?

How are you lubing these?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    I have epoxied several.......
    This is the best fix . A small ball of epoxy putty in cleaned cavity ( grease the boolit nose ) the putty is easier to use, no running into places it should not go. Hot Glue may not last , epoxy will last decades and be an exact fit !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    I tried the hot glue because it was the easiest

Success