Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2ADvertise here
Graf & SonsStainLess Steel MediaInline Fabrication

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 1888 Springfield Trapdoor - Birthday Present to ME!

  1. #1
    Boolit Master
    Kevinakaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    New Hampshire (heart still in Dixie)
    Posts
    399

    1888 Springfield Trapdoor - Birthday Present to ME!

    About two years ago I made a post on this forum asking about an 1873 Springfield Trapdoor that I was looking at. Was in fair condition and after reading some well placed comments and my gut check I decided to pass. Bought the Joe Poyer book about the same time and just today found an 1888 in great condition and pulled the trigger. Was my birthday last week and I decided to finally scratch that itch. It does have a dark brown reddish tint to the wood but I read somewhere that this is normal? Bore is shiny and sharp. Thought I would share with my fellow enablers as "I want ya to know, I'm prouder than a game rooster". Pictures below. Now to get some loads made up and test 'er out. Listing molds I have below if anyone wants to post their favorites as I look at working up a load. I do already load for 45-70 in a Handi rifle and a Marlin 1895.

    Molds in my collection -
    Lee 457-340-F
    RCBS 45-325-FNU
    RCBS 45-300-FN
    Lyman 457124AV
    IDEAL 457125
    Lyman 457132CV


    Original Thread -
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch.../t-297831.html

    Pics
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gs0x96bfya...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/woucvdamrz...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ms8kyrb02...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tn6yyxq3um...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/icwokj5rx6...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq1yhycr7d...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

    Kev
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 09-27-2017 at 04:28 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

  2. #2
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    plains of colorado
    Posts
    1,328
    looks a lot like mine, fun to shoot and it throws one heck of a chunk of lead.

  3. #3
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    189
    Ideally, you should slug your bore to get a groove/groove diameter. However, measuring the slug is difficult if not impossible without a special micrometer. My guess is that all your moulds are too small unless they cast way oversize. Most TDs run bigger than the "normal" .458 groove, usually around .461. My suggestion would be a Lee 405 hollow base which will cast .460-.461. It's also an inexpensive mould. Load it as cast, without an overpower wad.

  4. #4
    Boolit Master
    Kevinakaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    New Hampshire (heart still in Dixie)
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by varsity07840 View Post
    Ideally, you should slug your bore to get a groove/groove diameter. However, measuring the slug is difficult if not impossible without a special micrometer. My guess is that all your moulds are too small unless they cast way oversize. Most TDs run bigger than the "normal" .458 groove, usually around .461. My suggestion would be a Lee 405 hollow base which will cast .460-.461. It's also an inexpensive mould. Load it as cast, without an overpower wad.
    Have slugged lots of my rifles and will slug this one as well. **Edit- Reread your post varsity amd realized you were referring to a v anvil micrometer (which I do not possess) - thanks for the solid advice** Just got it home a couple hours ago. If the bore turns up a bit large for my molds I could always PC but feels a bit sacriligious to PC for a trapdoor...lol!

    Load bp for my 44-40's and not opposed to this route in the trapdoor.

    Will get her slugged in a bit and see what I have.
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 09-27-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

  5. #5
    Boolit Master


    Larry Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Lake Havasu City, Arizona
    Posts
    15,664
    Very nice, Trapdoors are a lot of fun. You might find my load information in this thread useful;


    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-Equipment
    Larry Gibson

    “Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

  6. #6
    Boolit Master
    Kevinakaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    New Hampshire (heart still in Dixie)
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Very nice, Trapdoors are a lot of fun. You might find my load information in this thread useful;


    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-Equipment
    Great read and great post. Thank you. Will pore over the information found within and proceed accordingly.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

  7. #7
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Space Coast, FL
    Posts
    1,303
    Measuring them boolits is a piece of cake. Strip of soda can or shim stock, whatever around slug. Wrap and pinch, one strip per side, whatever floats your boat. Material thickness x 2 from dimension = pretty darn close.

  8. #8
    Boolit Master
    Kevinakaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    New Hampshire (heart still in Dixie)
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Measuring them boolits is a piece of cake. Strip of soda can or shim stock, whatever around slug. Wrap and pinch, one strip per side, whatever floats your boat. Material thickness x 2 from dimension = pretty darn close.
    Copy that, makes sense.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

  9. #9
    Boolit Master



    curator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Posts
    1,157
    Kevanakg:

    M1888 trapdoor rifles tend to be a bit larger bores than M1884 or M173 rifles, Most that I have slugged were in the .461-464 groove diameter instead of .460-461 like the earlier models. The Lee .459-406HB mule usually drops slugs near .463-463 diameter and will work fine for your rifle. Fill the lube grooves with a good black powder lube like SPG or 50/50 bee's wax/Lard and load with 60 grains of FFg black powder or 21 grains of IMR 4198 and an over powder/under bullet wad. Your gun will shoot great as the M1888 saw little use and was mostly held in reserve. They are great shooters!

  10. #10
    Boolit Master
    Kevinakaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    New Hampshire (heart still in Dixie)
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by curator View Post
    Kevanakg:

    M1888 trapdoor rifles tend to be a bit larger bores than M1884 or M173 rifles, Most that I have slugged were in the .461-464 groove diameter instead of .460-461 like the earlier models. The Lee .459-406HB mule usually drops slugs near .463-463 diameter and will work fine for your rifle. Fill the lube grooves with a good black powder lube like SPG or 50/50 bee's wax/Lard and load with 60 grains of FFg black powder or 21 grains of IMR 4198 and an over powder/under bullet wad. Your gun will shoot great as the M1888 saw little use and was mostly held in reserve. They are great shooters!
    Already have the mold on order in fact thanks to good advice on this thread. Largest sizing die I have is 461 but can always use as they drop. Have some NASA lube I use for my 44-40 bp loads as well which I have had great luck with.

    Thanks, nice information in your post!
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 10-01-2017 at 07:59 AM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check