Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chronograph at a public range?

Boolit Buddy
    I went LabRadar route - can use indoors, don't have to go beyond firing line - win/win

Banned

our Public range is a bit different than at other places.
    I use my bench.
    and shoot at my targets on my backer board.
    I have a diffuser board for my chronograph that slides behind my gun rack.
    nobody touches my stuff.
    my chronograph is set up to be measured and placed in front of my bench so it only takes about 30 seconds to pull the string out and set the tri-pod in place.

on the pistol side I have my own target stand, and table made from a cable reel.
    I also provide the backer boards for it.

the only time I don't use them is if there is a shoot of some sort going on.

Boolit Master
    I have used mine at the state run Sharon Valley range with no problems....um, no problems that I didn't create. I have to wait to go down range to check it...but can read what I need at 5 yds so I play with the chrono while others are going down range.

Vendor Sponsor

for me its lab radar all the way .. It eliminates every issue I have had with other chronos
    No screens to align or the wind to unalign, no wires, no control box or screens to get damaged .. I can shoot day or night sun or no sun
    The entire chrono sits on the bench slightly behind and beside the muzzle
    Plus it will give me velocities at 4 different distances that I set

it would be difficult for me to ever go back to the other styles now
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    A lab Radar will sit on your bench .. nothing is in front of the barrel
    Yep, if your willing to pop for one.

I have shot on several ranges with chrony , but get the RO's OK first and ask how he wants me to do it - lots of times they even help with the setup so no back and forth fiddly stuff.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using chronographs on many different ranges since '74 and haven't encountered any problems using them. Just have to follow the range rules when setting them up. Using the proper technique it's not difficult and doesn't take long.

Only problems I've encountered are some ranges have baffles now that block too much light out and the skyscreens don't read that well. However on the pistol range, the 100 yard range and the300 yard range here at Lake Havasu City I have no problems at all. Of course I also go out in the desert and set up many times. I have a nice place just north of town I park the PU east and west, pitch shade of the north side, set up the portable BR and then set up the Oehler M35P. I also use a portable generator for using the Oehler M43. It's nice out there as I don't get interrupted by other shooters needing to change/hang targets so testing goes better. I can shoot to 1000 yards (or further if I want) there also.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

I use my Lab Radar way more than the Pact Professional ever got used simply due to ease of set up and use. I have used it on indoor ranges that ban other chronographs. ( It does get cramped it they have Booths for shooting in) One thing the maker recommends is it is turned off when people are downrange or in front of it. Its a very easy quick set up and switching firearms is even easier.

Boolit Master
    Is that labradar readily available now? It's quite a bit more than I wanted to spend but will put it on my wish list and maybe my wife/finance officer will take pity on me . I think I'd need to do a lot more shooting to get my money's worth out of it.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

Cost wasn't the issue for me but the 8 week lead time that turned into 6 months was. I'm not sure what the leade time is now but I got the impression the manufacturer is a military contractor for equipment and that these were "fill In" when contracts were slow. Ive been very pleased with mine and its use. The only thing to change is to add a better "sight" system.

Boolit Master

I set up my chrono on the range. It doesnt take me long to set up. The public range is normaly sees high shooter traffic. I have set it up there and i am good before everyone is back from down range. My range also has 2 smaller members only ranges that i like to use. Normaly its only a few of us on those ranges and its not uncommon for more than one of us to have chrono up. My chrono plugs into my phone and records my shot strings and saves them with comments to be exported into excell later to be analyzed.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Dang those look Nice!
    http://mylabradar.com/
    Maybe I can afford the base for a table

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Is that labradar readily available now? It's quite a bit more than I wanted to spend but will put it on my wish list and maybe my wife/finance officer will take pity on me . I think I'd need to do a lot more shooting to get my money's worth out of it.
    I just ordered one from Midway, estimated delivery by 5 October.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    So you guys that have used both, if cost was not a factor would you opt for the Labradar?
    I would not consider anything else. It really is that good. I'm a member at a bunch of private ranges. Some of them are busy and it made setting up a chronograph a pain. I honestly didn't use it often because of setup time. Was going to get the Magnetospeed but there are issues w/ it. And I'm not to keen in strapping anything to the barrel of my guns.

The Labradar is worth the price of entry. Eventually the price will come down as the technology becomes more readily available. But even at its current cost it's worth the price. Old style chronograph are a dying breed because of the Labradar. It will take decades for them to die but they eventually will.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I would not consider anything else. It really is that good.
    Yeah, I crossed over to the bright side of the street. User reviews on two different sites were about 95% plus the comments posted here.
    Thanks for all the feedback, everybody.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I would not consider anything else. It really is that good. I'm a member at a bunch of private ranges. Some of them are busy and it made setting up a chronograph a pain. I honestly didn't use it often because of setup time. Was going to get the Magnetospeed but there are issues w/ it. And I'm not to keen in strapping anything to the barrel of my guns.

The Labradar is worth the price of entry. Eventually the price will come down as the technology becomes more readily available. But even at its current cost it's worth the price. Old style chronograph are a dying breed because of the Labradar. It will take decades for them to die but they eventually will.
    Hah....I still have a chrony that uses the shoot through screens and the switch box that you rotate through to watch the lights and get velocities.....I don't use it much but it still works. Unless I blast my pro chrony it will probably last me for my lifetime.

No problem setting up at the range where I shoot. Fancy ($$) chronys don't pay for me as I don't chrony loads that much.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    lFancy ($$) chronys don't pay for me as I don't chrony loads that much.
    I bet most Labradar owners set it up almost every time they shoot. It comes w/ me every trip. Setup takes about a minute. A chronograph isn't needed. But it was an eye opener once I started using it consistently.

Boolit Master
    I bet most Labradar owners set it up almost every time they shoot. It comes w/ me every trip. Setup takes about a minute. A chronograph isn't needed. But it was an eye opener once I started using it consistently.
    I'd like to start pushing the loads up for my self defense rounds, but without a way of measuring velocity is kinda just by 'feel'. I'd like something at least a bit more consistent.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

One big plus to the Lab Radar that others don't do is the multiple readings of the shot. I have mine set right now for a reading at 10 yd, 25yd, 50yd, 100yd, 150 yd, and 200yds. Each shot fired gives a velocity reading at these distances. It allows for drop tables to be calculated for a given bullet load. I can pick up 38 cast rifle to 45 cast rifle bullets to 200yds maybe farther on the bigger bullets. Wads and paper patches don't affect it either. I run mine off of a rechargeable battery pack as 6 or 8 AA batteries every couple uses gets expensive.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I run mine off of a rechargeable battery pack as 6 or 8 AA batteries every couple uses gets expensive.
    The small lipstick chargers will run it all day long. They're really cheap and can be bought at most gas stations at this point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast