RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionADvertise here
StainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationGraf & Sons

Thread: Eddystone 1917

Boolit Mold

Eddystone 1917

Anyone shooting a Eddystone 1917?

I had one years ago in full military trim, stupid me sold it! Great shooting rifle.
    I inherited my fathers eddystone years ago. He bought it in the 50's it had already been sporterized.
    His was the first centerfire I ever shot, I was about 10yo. Still shoot it every chance I get.

I've shot a lot of different brands in 30-06, but I always come back to the eddystone, just seems to fit me better and seems more accurate than most.

I'm sure it dosent help that I've been shooting it on and off now for 40 years and know what it likes and where to point the darn thing!

Boolit Master

Yep,and mine has a brass plate with number on the heel of the stock.Looks like a unit designation,but not sure.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

I am sure it is true that Eddystones have more of the quality control problems sometimes found in US Enfields. Receivers can be of burnt steel, and weakened, or they can be excessively hard and develop cracks. If you are buying or rebarrelling one, it is worth wiping it over with gasoline and seeing if any weeps from a crack as it dries off.

But these are yes-or-no affairs. If you get a good one, it is just as good as Remington Ilion or Winchester manufacture.

I grew up in my teens shooting my fathers. I could hold 2" at 100 yards back then and wasn't as disciplined as I am now. I enjoyed lobbing them out at several hundred yards at buckets and what not on the power lines we would shoot at from time to time.

PAPERPATCH MASTER

Back when I had dark hair I looked for `sportered` 1917 and P-14 rifles to make a better looking sporter out of and usually rebarrel them to a different caliber like the .338-06.Robert

Boolit Master
    Rayolamp,

I have always preferred the M1917 to the M1903 and I own several of both. My best cast boolit in all is the Lee 185 RN 312 sized .309" and lubed with Alox. I have M1917s by Eddystone, Remington and Winchester. One Eddystone is my favorite as she hits point of aim at 100 yards with anything I shoot out of it with the Battle Sight. I will hunt PA bear, again, this year with that Eddystone.

Adam

Boolit Master
    I just shot my sporter today. I'm working the bugs out since I bought it last year. I think I just about have it figured out. The groups are down to about 1.5", which is about all I can expect. It has the original milled receiver, barrel, bolt and trigger guard. The barrel has been shortened and turned down, and it has a nice walnut Monte Carlo stock. I put a Timney trigger in it, but still have the original. It was sporterized in the 50s(?) in California according to the sticker still on the stock. I think I will deer hunt with it this year for the 100 year anniversary of America entering WW1.
    Last edited by reivertom; 09-27-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    they were good guns. very good. now almost impossible to find on the used market