RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Vaquero 45 colt

Boolit Master

Vaquero 45 colt

My vaquero is a hoot to shoot with goex 2f. Loaded up with 2.2 cc and 454190 lubed with beeswax mixed with a little ballistiol. I cast with pure lead and sized .453. Hope to target shoot this weekend and check accuracy.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    My vaquero is a hoot to shoot with goex 2f. Loaded up with 2.2 cc and 454190 lubed with beeswax mixed with a little ballistiol. I cast with pure lead and sized .453. Hope to target shoot this weekend and check accuracy.
    You can get away with tight cylinder throats shooting soft lead because it will obturate and seal the bore, supposedly.. Were it not for this ability of soft lead to fill out after leaving the cylinder, I would suggest checking the throats as they are likely well below .453" if they are factory throats..

You could size boolits to .453" but in all reality, boolits will exit the front of the cylinder at throat diameter. If you have .4505" or .451" throats, that's what boolits will be sized to upon firing..
    Last edited by DougGuy; 09-26-2017 at 08:44 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

My Bisley Vaquero had undersize throats. I reamed them to .4525" and the revolver shoots extremely well. I won a number of Black Powder Cartridge matches (both silhouette and score) and treasure that piece. It shot to the sights (dead on at 25 yards) with both black (Swiss 3f), Pyrodex P, and smokeless.

DougGuy knows whereof he speaks!

Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 09-26-2017 at 07:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    That is one nice looking six gun. Looking at Doug's work might be time to spend some money on my ruger 45 cylinder