Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Electric Steam cleaner

Boolit Master

Electric Steam cleaner

I am actually posting this for 54bore as a PSA.

Lewis was using a steam cleaner to clean his rifles. Like a lot of guys he would pop his first round, clean the gun, and then go to shooting groups. Well as he was getting ready for hunting season he wanted to know where his clean cold bore shot would hit. Unfortunately the first shot of the day accuracy was not there. He struggled and I can tell you we collectively pulled our hair out trying to figure out why the first shot of the day on his guns was 3 foot off and mine were spot on.
    As it turned out the steam cleaner was the big problem. He has made adjustments to the paper patching routine to fit his needs but the steam cleaner was a HUGE problem for first shot accuracy. He knew a lot of guys including my self had bought them and he was worried that someone not knowing might not test this. I had not un-boxed mine yet so I had not tried it.
    I know he was worried that someone might wound an animal not testing this.

Boolit Master
    Never bought the steam cleaner but read all the comments and thought it sounds great , and am sorry it "s not 100% . But you have done a great service letting folks know ,Thanks Ed

Using a steam cleaner for frontstuffers sounds like an excellent reason to remain a Luddite................................

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    From what he says it cleans the barrel to a as new state. If the barrel were to be stored for a long period of time this would be the way to go. But like he said for a daily cleaner he said he would not use them.

Boolit Master
    There have been a couple of posts about the steam cleaners, including one I did. I use mine the day before I go to a match, wiping the barrel with dry patches while it is still hot. I then wipe with a patch with Remoil, just enough to prevent rusting before the barrel cools off. I found that the first shot on ALL the muzzle loaders I do this on have no change in 1st shot, 2nd shot, ETC. I did worry about cold bore shots so I have tried each rifle to see what happens and so far there have been no issues. In Major Roberts' "Bible" he mentions cleaning with water close to boiling after a day of buffalo hunting, drying the barrel while warm and then a light coat of oil (of some sort) to prevent rust which would really drag on a paper patched or cloth patched bullet/ball.

Can you post how the shooter with problems was using his steam cleaner and what each step was?

Boolit Master

I have used a steam cleaner on my Gibbs and other rifles. Most of the long range muzzleloading shooters do. The rifles do need some settling down but the first shot is clos enough to start sight settings.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    There have been a couple of posts about the steam cleaners, including one I did. I use mine the day before I go to a match, wiping the barrel with dry patches while it is still hot. I then wipe with a patch with Remoil, just enough to prevent rusting before the barrel cools off. I found that the first shot on ALL the muzzle loaders I do this on have no change in 1st shot, 2nd shot, ETC. I did worry about cold bore shots so I have tried each rifle to see what happens and so far there have been no issues. In Major Roberts' "Bible" he mentions cleaning with water close to boiling after a day of buffalo hunting, drying the barrel while warm and then a light coat of oil (of some sort) to prevent rust which would really drag on a paper patched or cloth patched bullet/ball.

Can you post how the shooter with problems was using his steam cleaner and what each step was?
    Here is what he said.

I will try and explain this as briefly as possible, As many of you on here know i was having a HECK of a time with my cold clean bore shot back in the summer, I recently started working with my .50 Cal Green Mountain LRH preparing for my upcoming hunt, i knew i had to Conquer the cold clean bore shot or there was ABSOLUTELY no reason to even think about hunting with ANY of my Muzzleloaders (and i have quite few of them!) Everytime i went out and shot my cold clean bore was a total DISASTER? If any of you remember there were times out when i could not hit a 3ft by 3ft Square the first shot?! I tried popping caps off which did help some but stil not great, i tried Graphite Lock eeze to simulate a fouled bor, that also helped a bit but was stil not great, I could not figure out what the heck was causing the EXTREME cold clean bore problem i was having? And this was not in just 1 rifle, this was EVERY rifle i own!! The only thing i was doing differently is using a little handheld steam cleaner thru the breech end, this gets about 8-10" of the barrel HOT, BURN YA HOT! It cleans the Snail/Patented breech/powder chamber back to shiny brand new inside. I finally came to the conclusion that this was likely my problem? I started out with my Stainless .50 Cal and sure enough my cold clean bore was AWOL, Then the rifle settled in and shot AWESOME as usual, when i got home i skipped the steam cleaner on the barrel, i went back to my bucket of water cleaning routine for the barrel, the only parts i steam cleaned were the Nipple, Hammer, and lock, I loaded up the next morning and shot again, the cold clean bore was REALLY close this time! I repeated my cleaning procedure WITHOUT using the steam cleaner on the barrel, i headed out again the next morning, this cold clean bore was ABSOLUTELY dead center bullseye! So i went from not being able to hit a 3ft square, back to being dead center with all of my shots!

Folks the steam cleaner is an AWESOME little tool for DEEP cleaning, they clean better than anything out there, but i can tell you from first hand experience that it will DESTROY your cold clean bore shot! From now on i will be using my steam cleaner for my parts, Nipples, Locks, Hammers, etc. But i will definitely NOT be using it for my barrels anymore. If you are bench rest shooting and can afford to 'burn' the first shot none of this is a big deal, after i burned my first shot my following shots were always spot on. I am now working on getting my 45 Green Mountain LRH back in business, this morning was its first shoot without the barrel being steam cleaned, my shot was high and left about 1 foot. I will clean it again the ole fashion way in a bucket of water and hopefully get the chance to try again tomorrow, if it does like my 50 Cal did it will take about 3 sessions to get straightened back out.

Boolit Buddy
    A little birdy told me that the 45 is back to shooting tiny groups with the old fashioned barrel cleaning methods. Still using steam to clean other pieces parts but not the barrel.

Boolit Master
    Ya it sounds good for him.

Boolit Master
    Here is some additional info for thought. I recently assembled a 45 caliber slug gun with no information at all on the 1.25 inch octagonal barrel, false muzzle, bullet starter, hook patent breech plug or the tang. It started with a very nice piece of walnut already cut as a Hawken for $4.00. The barrel and parts cost me $300 and was made some where around 24 or 25 years ago. I checked the twist and at the breech it is 1 in 18 and at the muzzle is 1 in 15. The rifling looks exactly like the picture in Pope's catalog with very wide grooves such that there is no difference in bore/groove diameter. I am using a BACO 540 grain Creedmoor pure lead bullet with Doug Knoel's lube. After getting it assembled and ready to shoot at the beginning of August I spent a week and a half at 50 yards and steamed the "snail" opening before going to the range. oiling slightly as I noted and the 1st shot was the exact same as the last one the previous visit!

Then I moved to 100 yards for 1.5 weeks and then on to 200 yards. This past Monday I went out to 300 yards and after adjusting the 20 power Unertl scope to raise impact it took 3 shots to get into my home made 8.5x11 home made shoot-n-see. During all of this I used the steam cleaner before the range visit coming IN through the nipple threaded opening, drying and then a light oil coating. Note the rifle lays on it's side in a hard case so no oil builds up in the breech area. I do snap a couple caps after an initial dry patch then wipe again. I'll probably make another visit on Friday and repeat my prep process. In reading the original poster's info I see he is only cleaning the breech area which is how I have been doing it. I use the 3 part cleaner and patches to wipe the majority of the barrel and use a light oil wipe as noted.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	204837 This is my set up,I have found that fouling shots improve accuracy after Steam Cleaning.Without exception if I wipe the Whitworth barrel prior to loading it will misfire.I now wipe after loading and it fires each time.It would seem that a squeaky clean barrel does not perform as well as a just wiped barrel.This has been my experience with this particular Rifle.
    Last edited by Col4570; 09-29-2017 at 06:14 AM.

Boolit Master
    It would appear some folks such as Col4570 steam clean the whole barrel while some like me just clean the breech/patent breech and powder drum areas and maybe a part of the barrel? It also appears that this is one of those areas that the shooter has to test to see what works and what does not work for them. As my mentor told me "John there are so many variables to have to check it is what makes black powder shooting interesting"! He sure is correct.

Boolit Master
    It would appear some folks such as Col4570 steam clean the whole barrel while some like me just clean the breech/patent breech and powder drum areas and maybe a part of the barrel? It also appears that this is one of those areas that the shooter has to test to see what works and what does not work for them. As my mentor told me "John there are so many variables to have to check it is what makes black powder shooting interesting"! He sure is correct.
    Yes BP Shooting does not appear to be an exact science although some guys are pretty close.

Boolit Bub
    Shot my Hot rod Renegade today after cleaning with steam.Seems to really effect accuracy on first shot.Was 8" low, next shot was in x ring and kept them there at 100 yrds. shot 10 rounds total had gong hits on 4" gong at 100 yrds.Cleaned the barrel old way, will see how it does next time out.Amazing

Boolit Master
    After your "old method" to see if it works, try just steaming out the breech and nipple area as that is where the "goop" gathers even if being careful.

Boolit Master
    After your "old method" to see if it works, try just steaming out the breech and nipple area as that is where the "goop" gathers even if being careful.
    Yes that does make sense.

Banned

i don't have one, i've never used one, and yet i'll claim that there is no absolute need for a muzzleloader steam cleaner. that it works for some is absolutely wonderful for them. part of the experience of an 18th or 19th century muzzleloader, flint or percussion, is using and maintaining the weapon with processes (and even materials) as was done during those eras are part of the lure and lore these firearms convey.

Banned
    Funniest thing I ever saw! If a steam cleaner works so well, how about a 2900 PSI pressure washer!

Warm soapy water, changed twice, dry bore, a little bore scrubber or alcohol, dry patch, apply anti rust lube and done.

Some folks love to make things more difficult than it really needs to be.

Boolit Master
    In the Ned Roberts book, he mentions cleaning by pulling the nipple, plugging the hole the filling the barrel with boiling water from your campfire. He says to wrap a towel or other cloth around the barrel so you will not get burned. Repeat until water coming out is clear. Before the barrel cools, dry with patches then oil. So Saturday I steamed out the powder drum and breech of my Lehigh 50 caliber and wiped with a light coat of Remoil. In our match today, my first shot was 1/2 inch off the bulls eye and the next 4 were within 1/2 inch. This is our small paper target with 5 shots on paper.