Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite lever action rifle and favorite game to hunt?

What is your favorite lever action rifle and favorite game to hunt?

Since joining Cast Boolits, I have become a lever action addict. I only really shoot and hunt primarily with lever action rifles now.

I love the Marlin 357 lever action both for small game and deer and plinking targets. I hope to give the 45 Colt a try out in the woods deer hunting this year.

The only hunting I do these days is yotes, prairie poodles once a year and when I head out east hogs. My favorite hog gun is my 45/70 lever with the 45 Colt lever coming in a close second. Either one will roll up a pig in short order.

My 1954 Winchester 30-30, loaded with 150cast fp at 1600 fps has been my favorite turkey gun for years. Stalking or calling it just works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My favorite lever is currently my Mossberg 464 30/30 and I have been hunting coyotes with it using the Lyman 130 gr PB boolit at 1350 fps. It really likes that boolit for the short range quick shots in our local tree farms. If I don't connect on a deer during the muzzleloader season next week, I will use that rifle for deer for the first time in the modern season using the Lee 150 gr FPGC at 1650 fps (same point of aim with the Skinner sight at 100 yards).

Boolit Master

My favorite levergun to shoot is my Marlin 32-20...

If I was going to hunt everything from rats to Yotes I'd get it's twin out of the safe in 218 Bee...

If I was to hunt anything bigger I'd probably reach for the Marlin Cowboy 45-70 (but I also have a 30-30, 38-55 and a 32-40 to choose from)...

I have Winchester and Marlin lever actions ranging from .25-20 to .45-70 in model 1892's, 1893's, 1894's, 1895's, and 1886's, and I love them all. I would be really hard pressed to just pick one that I like the most. Not much varmint action around here, but I have hunted deer, moose and elk in the past when my health was up to it. Truth be told when it comes to hunting I was always the happiest walking behind my German Shorthaired Pointer carrying a good SxS shotgun hunting upland game birds.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Favorite lever would be my BB94 in 375Win. Favorite game animal is a squirrel!! I just love hunting them but its most often a scoped 22lr spotter of some sort. Love to bird hunt, quail and Woodstock, vintage pumps get the nod there. Favorite with a lever is deer, that BB94 is perfect . Light and handy to carry thru the woods and pokes a nice big hole, deep too!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    For some strange reason, my favorite lever rifle is a 1915 vintage Winchester 1895 SRC in .30 cal 1903. It can be used safely with 30-06 ammo. I shoot reloads almost exclusively in it, probably somewhat less powerful than 30-40 Krag factory loads. Cast loads of course, the two are almost equal. But I really like this rifle.

I bought it missing the rear sight and handguard (very common for this variant). A gunsmith minimally modified an repro 1879 trapdoor rear sight to fit the screw holes on the barrel, and I just live without the handguard.

I seldom hunt, but will try to take a deer with it one day.

Any of my old 1894s ..............and depending on the hunt !!!!! Lion..trapper .44mag!!! Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Vendor Sponsor

4 45/70's .. a Henry, 2 Marlins and a contender
    deer, hogs, burglars.. not necessarily in order.. word has gotten out so the burglar pickin's been slim lately
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Sunday is opening of Antelope/Deer season here in my part of Wyoming,been out looking the past few days,Antelope are rutting and Whitetail bucks are cruising fence lines with the girls out in the alfalfa.It has been a nice start of fall with rain and snowing the mountains.Have spent the past several weeks with a Win. 94 32 Special and 180 gr Accurate G/C bullet and 10 gr Unique for 1400 fps.it shoots very good.Also a 94BB 375 Win.250 gr. Accurate C/G 20 gr IMR4759 for 1500fps,Deadly accurate.

Boolit Master
    Winchester 94,92,73,95 and 86. I use a 94 in .30-30 or .32 spl. for deer. I keep a 92 by the kitchen door in .25-20 for pests on the other side of the house it is a 92 in .32-20 for pests. gong to the barn to work I carry a rossi 92 in .357.

Boolit Master

Lots of favorites depending on the day of the week and intended purpose. Today my favorite is a Interarms Rossi in 44 mag I picked up last night as a birthday present to me...sweet little outfit and impressed by build as compared to my newer Rossi 92 in 45 colt. It's no Winchester but it ain't bad either...happy to have found her.

Attachment 204717Attachment 204718
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 09-26-2017 at 05:14 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Deer...... Henry 45- 70. Anything else gets a .22 LR, a .243, or a 28ga, 20ga, or a 12 ga. It's all in picking the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    4 45/70's .. a Henry, 2 Marlins and a contender
    deer, hogs, burglars.. not necessarily in order.. word has gotten out so the burglar pickin's been slim lately
    I got a chuckle out of it, when I read across the "burglars" part.

Boolit Master
    Marlin 39a used to hunt Alberts Squirrels.

Boolit Master

I only have the Mossberg 464 in 30-30 with Lee 150 grainer for lever guns. It will be used for deer and hogs only hopefully.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    My only one right now is a rossi 92 in 357, quite accurate at the range but it's never taken any game. I'm seriously eyeing a 30-30 now but haven't been able to justify it without a deer lease to visit =). Maybe next year will be my first year to take one.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

My faves were a .22Mag Winchester 9422M-XTR for small game and a .356 Winchester Big Bore 94 Carbine for everything else - but these days, for deer/etc, I use this 1914 savage 1899H lightweight carbine in .303 Savage ( a .30-30 class cartridge), which is much easier handling for me.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    BLR in .358 Winchester. Deer but would love to try it on a big old bear . Also have the cowboy versions by Marlin in .45 Colt and .45-70 . Might get a 30-30 to rebore to 38-55 as a mate to my dads High Wall . Never shot cast in the BLR , anybody want to suggest a good bullet (deer ) and load to start with ?

Eddie
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 12-03-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast