Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: .

Boolit Mold

Do you need an expander die for reloading 30-30 cast bullets?

Boolit Master

Yes. You will need to expand the mouth a small amount at the very least in order to prevent shaving lead from the boolit base/sides. a Lee expander die would accomplish this; or a lyman or other mouth expanding die would be beneficial.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Once you resize - whether you do it full length or just neck size, you want the inside dimension of the neck to give you the proper tension on the boolit. Most/many of your bottle neck dies will have an expanding ball on the de-caping pin so that when the pin goes in to the case to de-prime and the neck goes up into the sizing portion of the die, when you bring the decaping pin out of the casing the ball when coming out would/should give you the expansion to the neck that you need. A lot depends on your dies but the standard FL/decapping/expanding stem die will not put a flair on the neck.

Some will suggest a Lee universal flaring die - I have one and very rarely use it. I found the best thing for me in loading cast in 30-30 (all I load is cast) is one of the Lyman M dies. I usually just neck size my brass - I'm not shooting "hot loads" and that works well through a lot of re-loads for me and they work well in both my Marlin and Winchester. The M-die will expand the neck to allow for correct tension and then flair it as desired.

Everybody has their own way of doing things. I remove my decaping stem/expander ball from my FL sizing die as I de-cap all of my brass on a single stage using a Lee universal de-priming die. I only use my FL die to FL size when necessary or sometimes to neck size only.

I refer to my M dies as my "shoe horn" dies. They expand the neck for the right tension and then flair so the boolit "slides" in with no lead shearing when seated. Depending on the boolit I'm using, I usually roll crimp but I also have one of the Lee collet crimping dies that does a good job as well - never had an issue with "boolit slipping" in the neck even in my lever rifles.
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 09-26-2017 at 03:39 PM.

My vote is for the Lee expander with a Noe expander plug in it.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

I started with Universal Lee. I had issues with consistency. Then I discovered the NOE sizer inserts for it. I use them now. Works great and easy and for 20 bucks gives me a new neck expander die. I reload for 5 different cartridges and its a very cost affective combo.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Get yourself a little $3 fishing jig box and you can organize your whole collection in it...best dang thing since sliced bread!

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

If you don't use an expander die on a .30-30 for cast bullets, there is a better than even chance you will crush the case shoulder.

Boolit Master

That's actually what I did with my Lee sizer die collection. Homedepot has them cheap in the tool box section.
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned

I just load my 30-30's on the Dillon 550.
    I guess I'm doing those wrong too.

Boolit Master

Dillion 550 is better than my Lee hand press. As long as the cartridge goes bang and the bullet goes to point of aim. I don't think there is a wrong way.
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

It's not the type of loader you use, it's the dies! Yes, you will need some sort of expander. Since you are just starting the cheapest way is to buy the Lee die, toss the inserts in a drawer, and buy the NOE expander buttons for your caliber.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I have used the Lyman M-die, but have ended up with all kinds of headache. I just ordered the Lee universal and hope it will solve my challenges.

To give you an idea. I started out needing a die for 30-06. Lyman die worked fine. And it did 300 win mag when I played with heavy cast bullets in that gun. But when I started doing 300 blackout, the die and plug could not be adjusted to it would flare the case. Die body was too long for the expander plug length to reach the case mouth. So I had to order up a special 30 carbine M die.

Then I started loading 358 Winchester. Another M die was purchased, and it worked fine for 358 win. But when I added 9X25 to the mix I needed a way to uniform that case mouth on the short little case, and again the 358 die body was too long. I was able to swap the expander into the 30 carbine die and get it to work. I will be facing this again when I start using cast in my 6.5 Grendel and 260 Remington.

The Lee route looks a lot more versatile, and a lot more cost effective.
    My isotope lead page: http://fellingfamily.net/isolead/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    It's not the type of loader you use, it's the dies! Yes, you will need some sort of expander. Since you are just starting the cheapest way is to buy the Lee die, toss the inserts in a drawer, and buy the NOE expander buttons for your caliber.
    +1 for Lee universal and NOE expander button!

Boolit Master
    Another "expander" tool that works extremely well can be found at estate and garage sales very cheap (generally $1 or less). I use an old kitchen knife sharpening steel. The round conical head for me expands everything from .24 to .35 calibers with just a quick turn of the wrist and very little pressure which doesn't even make my arthritic joints ache. The expanded mouth isn't even visibly expanded but it always seems to be enough.

I have an M die set, but I also have a sizer die for .30 carbine. The expander ball works great for opening the neck.

Boolit Master

I started using a Leatherman needle nose pliers and would give them a slight turn while applying pressure. It worked perfect. I would then seat bullet over powder and bump the "bell" back down to straight and it was good to go. I now use the Lee Universal expander however. It works great for me. A slight bell on the mouth of the case and I'm squared away.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I started out with a center punch but getting them all the same was tough.

A needle nose pliers and hand pressure can work. But again, it is hard to get the exact same amount of flare on each case.

Me I like the Lee tool, and use it religiously. But if you can afford it the M-die probably is better. But you need one for each caliber.

I'm mostly not that fussy. But you do need to figure something out.

Boolit Master
    I got a 30 caliber expander from RCBS. I use it for 30-06, .308 and 30/30. I leave a note in the box as to which was the last cartridge expanded. Yes, I learned the hard way.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Use the RCBS expander for 30 caliber, have a 309, 310 and 311 expander for the same RCBS die, use these expander so for powder coated and paper patched bullets. Use the expander that gives the proper inside diameter of the case necks for the bullet diameter being loaded. Works well for paper patched 308 Win cast bullets, load to jacketed velocity and the accuracy is good. Use the Lee crimp die to remove the flare and to crimp a small amount.