Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Thinking about this...

Banned

Thinking about this...

Been reading through all of this coating thing. The concept sounds almost too good to be true. But I have a couple questions.

My goal is to shoot benchrest rifle cast bullets, so accuracy is the important factor.

1) Standing bullets up to heat seems the right thing to do, many use non stick aluminum foil. Does the PC stick to the foil?

2) When are the bullets sized and the gas check installed? Before or after?

3) Anyone see an accuracy advantage or disadvantage using PC?

Thanks.

IIRC, some competition does not allow coated boolits. That said, some here are getting excellent accuracy in rifle but no proof it is any better than a good grease lube. IMHO nobody has found a speed limit for PC yet. Bama & Avenger appear to have the best long range performance so far. Only problem I've found with coating over the GC is trapped air (solvent for HiTek) can expand during cooking and pop off. Coating the shank increases dia. by several thou. so installing GC is harder. parchment paper or NSAF work fine. You can WD after baking to increase alloy hardness.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

1) pc doesn't stick to non stick foil

2) I always size and check first, coat and size again. PC adds about .001-0015

3) Haven't read any direct comparisons.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned

I'm working on the consistency of the coating thickness.
    much of it has to do with the powder you use.
    the better powders coat thinner, are finer particles, and are more consistent in the thickness of their final coating.
    it has taken me a while to get this far so I'm still shootng naked lead in my rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by B R Shooter View Post
    Been reading through all of this coating thing. The concept sounds almost too good to be true. But I have a couple questions.

My goal is to shoot benchrest rifle cast bullets, so accuracy is the important factor.

1) Standing bullets up to heat seems the right thing to do, many use non stick aluminum foil. Does the PC stick to the foil?

2) When are the bullets sized and the gas check installed? Before or after?

3) Anyone see an accuracy advantage or disadvantage using PC?

Thanks.
    1. Not if you use the non stick foil--if you want it to last longer use an oven liner Zero stick and seems to last for ever.
    2. Can be done either way. I put gas check on before PC--just seems the right thing for me.
    3. Not done a detailed comparison but I believe it is more accurate. 0 leading and can drive at high velocity. Satisfaction is +1.

Boolit Master
    To keep any flashing off of the base of a powder coated bullet I use aluminum screen wire on top of the non-stick aluminum foil. Use an electo static spray gun to apply the coating. The screen wire I use only one time. Can put three trays in my oven at a single cook. Can cook about 600 bullets at one time. With my automated Master Caster Machine I will coat and cook over 6000 coated bullets over a weekend.
    For bench rest bullets the coated bullets will need to be weighted and sorted by weights for best results.
    With paper patched bullets for my 308 Win I weigh and sort for best results.

PC Does not typically stick to NSAF provided you have the nonstick side UP and have it tight. When you let it be a little loose it tends to tear in small places. At least on mine it does. That is why I have stopped using it and now use the silicon mats with the weave pattern inside. They seem much better.

Gas checks are typically installed at the sizing stage.

I have not used PC for precision long range shooting and at the other site I USED to frequent the few folks that did long range shooting were beyond lead and PC anyways.

Honestly though, I think PC tends to open up in group size around 2400 FPS and it is supposedly good to about 3300+. I personally have NOT tested any of these ranges. I mainly PC because I like to dabble and mix colors, but I also shoot mainly Pistol and subsonic rifle now.

Popper, Bama, and R5R are right. Consistency, concentricity, and all the other normal reloading factors come into play if you want bench accuracy.

Bama's thread "Accurate PC 350yds Part 1" covers seating, CG and sizing for accuracy. He also has an alloy which will support high speed high twist. He uses BBDT with baking mat stand up method to get the coating like R5R is working on. Just have to use weight to sort groups for repeatability.

Folks also report that Smokes' Bacon Grease powder is the most consistent for high speed use. Not pretty but totally functional.