Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: separating GCs from Percussion caps

Moderator Emeritus

separating GCs from Percussion caps

Saturday, at the gunshow, i bought a shoe box full of primers, most were in original boxes. But there was a baggie with about 1000 GCs (22 cal copper) mixed with about 500 percussion caps...two different color/style percussion caps.

I tried to separate them with a large plate, using a "panning for gold" motion...no luck.

Any suggestions?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Same way one eats an elephant, one bite "well couple" at a time!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Banned

throw a handful on the table and start sliding them into piles.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like a similar situation I have been in before. Separating. .22 LR hulls by headstamp for .224 swaging process . Different HS all weigh different, thus more uniform end weight right? R5R has the idea, except i had several containers on the table with labels to identify what container held which HS. Painstaking work ,but it helped with my learning curve and education on swaging. Btw i no longer do this. Adjust my weight with lead shot ,or the fine wire from my core swaging die. Always learning something. - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Master
    Not much real help here, but being a smart patoot, my first thought is apply heat and whatever doesn't go bang is a gc.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Grand Master

I would sit down at a comfortable table with a good light source, dump several out on a plate and scoot the caps to one side and the GC's to the other. A dental pick, large pair of tweezers or similar tool should help.

Sounds like the kind of project that I save for the winter after hunting season when its too nasty to get out.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    One has to wonder why someone threw em all together . End result of failed or sick thinking ?
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Boy.. . that's not going to be easy. My first thought would be to do it like you tried and hope the procession caps would flip like primers in a tray but I'm guessing the gas checks do the same? Sounds like one of those jobs for a hot cup of coffee on a stormy winter day at the kitchen table. Good luck to you.

Just as a side note - things such as this just go to illustrate that primes and percussion caps NEED to be handled with care and not mixed in with other things. Case in point - I had a guy give me large box of scrap lead one time that included old boolits, round balls and a bunch of 58 minies. The 58 minies had lube in the bases, had obviously been shuffled around for a long time and had dented skirts. I thought, "OK - I'll just melt 'em down and let the lube burn off like a flux and re-cast the lead. I set my 10# pot on my propane hot plate, started to pick the lead out of the box and just was "half checking" it as I dropped it in the pot. I put in a bunch of scrap stuff first and then piled some of the minies on at the top of the pot - started the hotplate up and went out of the shop to let it heat up and melt down as I worked on a trailer outside. I was outside for a few minutes and started into the shop to get a wrench and as I was almost through the door, I heard a loud "Pop!". I looked in and the tinsel fairy had visited. Fortunately it didn't do any damage but I always figured that there must have been a loose percussion cap that somehow got stuck in the dried up lube in the base of one of the minie balls.

All the more reason to check very carefully what you put in the pot and to keep primers in their containers and caps in their tins. We all have probably dropped a primer and being in the middle of something, thought "I'll get it later".
    The same with percussion caps. Just a reminder to "be safe".

Good luck with your sorting JonB - with the price of percussion caps these days, it will be worth it to sort 'em out.

Moderator Emeritus

well shucks !
    I was hoping to hear of some colander type of thing with slots to allow the GCs to fall through, but small enough for perc caps not to.

as to why they were mixed? I suspect a group of 'tins' had loose caps, and those older hornady GC boxes never close tightly...if they traveled in this shoe box very much...well it seems obvious what happened.

Also, there was another baggie in the shoe box, it had a few handfulls of musket caps. On the baggie, it was hand written "240" and "$12.00". It did look like there was about 200 in there, since I don't have a musket, I changed the price to $4 and crossed out the 240 and put a ??? and they almost jumped off my gunshow table. I hope the fellow that bought them, enjoys them?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Grand Master

Grandchildren!

Moderator Emeritus

KCSO,
    My first, Maggie, is 9 weeks old...I imagine I won't need to use these for 5 or 6 years, so I guess that's a possibility LOL
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've never thought to measure them, how much size difference between the GC's and the Caps?
    If there's enough size difference, you just need to drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of a plastic container(like a coffee can or margarine tub) that are bigger than the smaller diameter and smaller than the bigger diameter. Put some in and shake it, only the smaller of the two will be able to fall through the holes. It only works though if the diameter is different enough to prevent the larger from falling through the holes you drill. They won't all fall through easily because of the thickness but if you can set it up to vibrate or shake on it's own eventually most of them will fall through.

Redneck it, tape an electric mixer(egg beater) next to it so that the beater(s) taps the side of the container...automatic sorter.
    Last edited by StolzerandSons; 09-26-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Boolit Man
    Take your muzzleloader out to shoot with a bag of mixed. When you get home you will only have a bag of gas checks. I guarantee it.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    I like Grandchildren!

If one of them is Magnetic it would be easy!
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Hammer. The ones that don't go bang are gas checks!

Boolit Grand Master

A paper bowl with Holes punched in it for the percussion caps to fall through and retain the gas checks will make short work of this. Hopefully there arnt 2 or more size types of gas checks in there. Even a heavy paper plate will work for this. For the percussion caps I suspect a 3/16" or 1/4" hole punch will work as long as the gas checks are 7mm or bigger.

Boolit Buddy
    Just get started you'll be done before you can rig up something to make it easier.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Banned
    similar to what country gent said I'd go to goodwill, grab a $2 plastic colander and drill some of the desired size holes

A small plastic bowl (cool whip/butter) might work too. Keep making the holes bigger for each different item/

I know that the pharmacies separate pills on a flat surface with a small spatula.

I believe many of us would like to have your "problem"

Boolit Grand Master

Run down to the local hardware store and see if you can find some small meshed hardware cloth, screen or mesh basket (like for frying food) that will let the primers drop through but not the gas checks. I once made a sieve with two pieces of screen, they had 1/4 inch openings but I offset the screens openings wired them together and made 1/8 inch openings.

Easiest thing would be to just sit down and separate them.... and while you are at it you could separate the two different colored percussion caps.

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Man
    Keep organized when separating and choose a helper wisely or ya may have to separate them again. ��

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast