Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: An idea for Dillon.............

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

An idea for Dillon.............

So, I was running a batch of .223 through my Dillon Super Swage in order to get rid of all the military primer crimps.........and I noticed something. There's a little, spring loaded bar under the case that you adjust in order to keep the cartridge base at a uniform height. You put the first case in and move the lever forward to crimp the pocket, then loosen the little bar so that it rises under the case, then lock it in that position. From that point on the cases are all at the correct height for the ram and anvil to do their work. However......

The cases can still move to the side somewhat and I find myself using my thumb to center them horizontally before swaging. If you don't pay attention it's easy to hit the pocket edge and damage it. My idea is simple......form a shallow "v" notch in the top of that bar and, after initial setup, the cases will be aligned both horizontally and vertically.

I actually called Dillon and asked to speak to one of their designers, but after two unanswered calls I gave up. Such a simple change would make the swager even quicker to use and I think the idea has merit. I'll be disassembling mine tonight and putting a notch in it.

Boolit Master

theres an aftermarket part out there that centers the case. you can find utube vids also where guys have modified them to be sort of semi automatic.

Boolit Master

Ah-ha! So, I've reinvented the wheel! Well, it's good that we have a bunch of clever people out there with the same mindset......I'll look up some of those videos and see what others have done. Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a small plastic insert from Inline Fab the does the same thing was cheap . Bought one for 30 call and one for 223 .

Boolit Grand Master

I found two fellows that had 3D printed plastic inserts for the RCBS swagger, but they hadn't saved the patterns for the printers and weren't willing to make them for sale.
    Both the RCBS and Dillon tools have this problem.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Bub
    If you "snap" the case down rapidly with your middle finger on the lever at the rear of the tool ( kind of like a forward push with the finger) the case pretty much centers it self.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 3Gunnah View Post
    If you "snap" the case down rapidly with your middle finger on the lever at the rear of the tool ( kind of like a forward push with the finger) the case pretty much centers it self.
    Well, that's my method also but these .223's seem to wander a bit side to side...just enough to gouge a primer pocket edge if I wasn't careful. Not a great inconvenience and easily overcome, but I was surprised Dillon hadn't noticed it when designing the swager. No complaints otherwise! Sure beats reaming/chamfering...............

Boolit Man
    The Case locator rod for .22 capiper does it work to correct the issue.

I would watch the videos that are at the bottom of his list. Suggestion to look at this website also.

https://inlinefabrication.com/collec...iant=328270135
    Last edited by mdhillbilly1; 09-27-2017 at 12:06 AM.

Boolit Master

Deleted, added photos and reposted below.
    Last edited by David2011; 12-30-2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Added pix
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Man
    I am deciding between Dillon and RCBS Swage units
    Last edited by mdhillbilly1; 09-29-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdhillbilly1 View Post
    I am deciding between Dillon and RCBS Sewage units
    I own the Dillon and have used a friends RCBS. If I was to replace mine it would be a Dillon.

Boolit Man
    Thank you for the information.

I need to make everything at a wheelchair height for my reloading room after I remove the plastic topped table, I was using for my computer.

We have been getting donations from over 16 reloaders so far to help me get started. We have also purchased somethings from donations of cash from local people to help me get started.

We are still getting donations from various loaders that prefer not to be name and this is why I am sending out a thank you to everyone.

We just need to get a wet cleaning setup do to my health reasons, if anyone would consider donating a unit or maybe for a reduced price contact me. I hope to build a large unit later after finding everything that I need to build it in the future.

I prefer to find a set of Hornady shell holders or a set of Lee Shell holders. We did not know that Hornady did not include the with their die sets.

We are lucky that I have been helping others in what everything I could do, since I became totally disable at 35 yrs old in about 1994. I am unable to work at all do to multiple disabilities.

We hope to one day to be able to obtain a Dillon Reloading Press with a shell feeder and a Mr Bullet feeder do to my disabilities. I know that it will take me twice as long to load ammunition than other people.

We think that once that I get the room completely cleaned out and setup we will have a nice setup in my den. We would prefer it to be in my basement, but I cannot get up and down the steps.

We had to talk to my Doctor and other since I wear Oxygen 24/7 to make sure I was safe. We will be taking all precautions that have been recommended and we will not keep more that one pound of powder in the loading room at a time.

I drilled and tapped an 8/32 from each side and ran it in and locked it with a nut to hold it at the right spot to center my .223 cases. I can adjust it for .308 or whatever I'm swaging.

Kraken Fan #69

I used a piece of cardboard shaped into a "U" shoved into the slot. That kept my .223 cases centered just fine.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by KrakenFan69 View Post
    I drilled and tapped an 8/32 from each side and ran it in and locked it with a nut to hold it at the right spot to center my .223 cases. I can adjust it for .308 or whatever I'm swaging.

Kraken Fan #69
    We wonder if you could provide pictures of what you did to your Dillon Super Swage 600. I do not understand what you drilled. We wondered if that would void the warranty.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I molded epoxy mixed with milled glass fibers to make cartridge locators. I put a piece of a Wal-Mart bag in the swage, a blob of epoxy and another piece of shopping bag. Put the case in place, close the swage into the primer pocket and let it cure overnight. The epoxy used was very slow cure. Wal-Mart bags are polypropylene that epoxy won't stick to so the plastic peels away easily. I added some black pigment just because I had some.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	210691 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0293.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	210692 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0285.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	210693
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Man
    I think that something like that was sold by someone recently. We wanted to know does it hold the empty ammunition shells in place, while swaging for the cartridge you molded.

We wanted to ask you for the specific list of materials including brands and where the products are sold.

We have used products like this in model railroading to copy and remold items.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    The item was made by Inline Fabrication.

https://inlinefabrication.com/collec...iant=328270135

Boolit Bub
    Inline Fab has some fantastic stuff. It's worth just popping over to there site and taking at look.