Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Poor powder metering on 650

Boolit Buddy

Poor powder metering on 650

I set up my 650 for 30-06 this weekend. Even with ball powder it threw charges from 42 to 47 grains. I tried being consistent with how I loaded but still couldn't maintain 44 grains. I can understand poor metering with stick powder. Any suggestions? I must be overlooking something in the process.

Shelly
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Grand Master

I would give the powder measure and tube a good cleaning, first with solvent or dish soap and water then alchlol to remove any residues. Make sure its operating smooth with no catches or snags. When dry wipe down with a used dryer sheet to remove static from the unit. Make sure its all adjusted correctly and moves freely with little slop. If the problem continues you might try a baffle in the hopper to limit weight of powder on the chamber. a simple baffle can be cut from a old 20 oz pop bottle. cut an oval 1/4"-3/8" longer and at width the same dia as the hopper radioused ends to match the hopper. A 3/8" hole punched on center in the lower feet one front and one back to allow powder to enter from sides not bear directly on the chamber. Draw back is this negates the low powder sensor, and also makes cleaning the measure out a little more work.

5 grains is an awful lot of powder, is the powder bar making a full and complete stroke? Is the failsafe rod returning it completely? What powder funnel do you have installed?

Boolit Master

You also need to use the thick powder bar not the thin.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

If you are experiencing inconsistent powder throws from you Dillon Powder Measure you can call us at 800-762-3845. For the best customer service please be in front of your machine when you call. You may also check the following items:
    • The Dillon powder measure hopper has in integral baffle molded into it. Start with the hopper at least 2/3 full above the baffle.

• You should also check to insure that the failsafe tension rod is properly installed and has the correct amount of tension on the spring that is above the blue plastic wingnut.
    • Throw and dump 10-15 charges before you begin weighing charges.

Boolit Grand Master

I have three 650's, two 1050's and RL1000. With ball powders I can hold plus or minus a tenth of a grain on all of them.

Some go info here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Powder-Measure

You know it's funny, I see DillonHelp here but I don't remember having seen any other reloading equipment maker having ever offered help with their product on this forum - GREAT WORK DILLON
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Shotmaker guy has been pretty helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    You know it's funny, I see DillonHelp here but I don't remember having seen any other reloading equipment maker having ever offered help with their product on this forum - GREAT WORK DILLON
    Yeah, it's one thing for a manufacturer to have people ready to answer your phone call, an entirely different matter for them to seek out consumer questions on Internet forums that won't take the time to call.

Or are they watching us...

I agree with the awesome clapping yellow guy.

Boolit Buddy
    What Dillon said! Kudoes and welcome to them, for being here. My 650's measures to 1/10th of a grain. If you're 5 grains off there is a problem and they will get you running.

Boolit Bub
    I also run 2 of the springs that the old Dillon measures used, in conjunction with the "new" failsafe system. IMO it helps.

Boolit Buddy
    It was throwing 25 grains of AA2230C perfectly a couple months ago. will try the cleaning first. I have the large powder bar installed and the proper 30-06 funnel. Thanx for the ideas. I'll call dillon if I can't solve it myself.

Thanx
    Shelly

Boolit Buddy
    Took it completely apart, cleaned, re-adjusted everything. Checked 15 powder dumps with IMR 4064. All within .1 grains. The only thing I noticed was I wast at the end of my powder charge bar adjustment with my last load. Found a couple other little problems but not in the powder system. New parts from Dillon and all is well with the world again.

Thanx for all the input.

Shelly

I love a happy ending
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."