Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
PBcastco Wideners

Thread: My Oldest Cartridge

Boolit Master

My Oldest Cartridge

The oldest cartridge I have goes with my .50-70 NYSM RB*. A Frankford Arsenal produced Benet inside primed .50-70. Best I can tell, Frankford switched production of the Benet cartridges to .45-70 in 1873. With no headstamp (IIRC Frankford started headstamping in 1877), it isn't possible to determine the exact year of production. More than one source puts production from 1866 to 1872. These cartridges have a cast lead 450 grain inside lubed grease groove boolit (400 grain/55 grains BP for carbine loads).

* The Benet primer explains why the RB has a firing pin which looks like it is trying to get through the primer cup of modern cases. When I first fired it I worried about the depth of the pin indentation, and replaced the FP. The replacement was an exact replacement and it still is a hugely deep indentation, but hasn't pierced a primer yet (likely because of the low pressure of BP loads). When I get a Roundtuit I'll shorten the FP replacement (not the original).
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master
    That is really neat. Could you please post a pic or two of it so we could see what it looks like?

My oldest at the moment is a Winchester box of .44 Colt cartridges. I have it in my display along with a old Colt .44 that was converted to cartridges in late 1869 to early 1870's. There are two vintage ammo boxes in the display, one full and the other is empty. The ammo box was likely produced in the 1870's sometime. Note that it shows it being rifle ammo, but they never really made rifles for that cartridge. The rifle designation for the ammo was to get around the early large city pistol ammunition bans that were in effect. It was Ok to buy rifle ammo, but not pistol ammo in some cities way back then.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44_Colt_revolver_01.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	204832
    Last edited by Earlwb; 09-28-2017 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo correction

Boolit Master
    Sorry it has taken me forever to get back to this. The crimp on the cartridge body keeps the Benet primer in place against the case head. As noted, Frankford wasn't headstamping cartridges at this time, so no markings on the head. Grease groove lead bullet with what may be a wax treatment (original??). I'll try to get better pix next time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA 50-70 case head.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	207198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA 50-70.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	207199
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member