Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxPBcastcoLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: see thru suppressor slo mo video

see thru suppressor slo mo video

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Very cool.

Banned
    there is a modification i have seen for these little critters that makes them about 25% - 30% quieter. you basically just build a kind of felt packed muffler like the design of a Glasspack muffler into the end of the suppressor which reduces the high pitch sound that comes out of the end of the suppressor and even a .30cal can be quieter than a .177cal CO2 powered pellet gun with the right ammo, you can snap your fingers louder with that modification.. the one i seen with that setup had the standard flat washer baffles and was a 3 D-cell Maglite.. the hole was in the cap that keeps the batteries in and the spring kept the muffler assembly in place.. but the ammo that was used was .308 case with unique powder and a 165gr LRN projectile. i don't really know the specifics of the entire setup being i do not own one, only what i have seen and been told.

Mauser 98K - what you describe is an old tech - check out

http://www.silencertalk.com/

http://form1suppressor.boards.net/
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master

A 308 has about 62,000 psi at the chamber. At 22" the pressure may still be above 5000 psi. I can see why that piece of plastic went away.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser 98K View Post
    there is a modification i have seen for these little critters that makes them about 25% - 30% quieter. you basically just build a kind of felt packed muffler like the design of a Glasspack muffler into the end of the suppressor which reduces the high pitch sound that comes out of the end of the suppressor and even a .30cal can be quieter than a .177cal CO2 powered pellet gun with the right ammo, you can snap your fingers louder with that modification.. the one i seen with that setup had the standard flat washer baffles and was a 3 D-cell Maglite.. the hole was in the cap that keeps the batteries in and the spring kept the muffler assembly in place.. but the ammo that was used was .308 case with unique powder and a 165gr LRN projectile. i don't really know the specifics of the entire setup being i do not own one, only what i have seen and been told.
    The trouble with packing is that it gets packed with crud (carbon et. al) and worse, can get pulled into the bore axis causing bore obstructions. Especially with sealed cans, packing shortens the life considerably. Packing also increases heat retention significantly.

With newer monocore designs, packing would actually degrade performance because the geometry is designed to work without it. With centerfire rifles and subsonic ammunition, especially with semi-auto actions the action noise is louder than older cans. The hammer drop on my Encore is louder than the muzzle report with .45LC Cowboy loads and a SiCo Encore.

As most who live in states where suppressors are illegal, I have thought many times about how to build one. Have laid in bed at night trying to visualize the interior physics...this video was AWESOME AND INFORMATIVE!

GOTTA LUV THOSE REDNECKS FROM MUNFORD!

Thank you Artful!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Interesting video!

I have wrecked at least four suppressors while testing various designs.
    One of the incidents I remember all to well: My hunting buddy and I was after foxes, and I had a clear shot from prone at a young'n at about 120 yards. At the shot, the fox just took a jump and looked around in bewilderment. I was sure of the shot, and whispered to my buddy to shoot the fox as "There must be something wrong with the rifle!", but he insisted I give it another try. This time, instead of a muffled crack, there was a loud boom and the innards of the suppressor hit the ground halfway between the fox and us, raising an impressive dust cloud.

This time the fox took off!

After a short sprint, curiosity got the better of the him, and he stopped to take a look back. My buddy, still shaking with laughter, nailed him with his 6.5x55 and I went back to the drawing board...
    Cap'n Morgan

Really cool, thank you Artful!
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Banned
    adapt. overcome. improvise...

never said it was a closed system or a wipe design. the felt never touches or can ever touch the bullet at any time.. this setup does work. i come up with this idea years ago for a guy who was building his own suppressor. yes he had already paid the stupid tax. but we was looking for ways to make the flat washer baffles quieter and we settled on this design and rifle brass loaded with unique to 1,050fps.. this is not designed for super sonic high pressure rounds, if you want to shoot high pressure then why even bother with a suppressor to begin with.. the idea is so not even a guy across the street could hear you target practice in your back yard. it was designed for a bolt action..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	204774

have to excuse the cobbled up demonstration picture, i do not own one and the guy i helped moved several years back so i do not have access to the original and im having to do this by memory.. i mostly just helped him do it over our MySpace messenger system and he did the work. i just took my flashlight apart and used Paint Brush that come with my OS for demonstration purposes. i did get to see it a couple times b4 he moved though and it was cool..

this design was after several weeks of trial and error. if it didn't sound quieter or if it made it louder it was taken out and tossed, if it made it quieter then it stayed and we moved on to the next thing. we used the perceived noise level to the human ear. unlike the machine measured **** they make now which does not even come close to hearing like a human ear, this was designed so that the human ear could barely hear it.. with a 24in barrel and .308 loaded with unique pistol powder and LRN bullets at 1,050fps it was actually quieter than a CO2 powered 177cal pellet gun. at 50m if there was any ambient noise whatsoever there was no way you would ever hear it. to add to the sound lowering the tube was then covered with a couple layers of bicycle tire tube that was forced over the tube to get rid of any tube ring that might occur..

this design was also able to be taken off the rifle and put back on with no change in zero of the rifle.. this was done with a setscrew and a small dimple that located the suppressor so it could always be put back on the exact same way it was taken off.the thing screwed over a step that sealed it and helped locate it and tightened till the setscrew dimple lined up and locked down. he tested this design by taking the thing off the rifle and then putting it back on and doing a penny sized group at 50m.

but if the felt packs up then just use mineral spirits or another solvent to wash it and let it dry and it will be like new again.

but this design is a sort of backwards from some of the old OSS and CIA designs. theirs had the packing closer to the muzzle of the gun which would move and bunch up in the tube from the high pressure hot gasses degrading the performance of the suppressor. by reversing this design the gasses are slowed down and cooled enough that it does not really bother the felt packing and it last longer.. this also has another function, it is to change the frequency of the sound escaping from the suppressor. with most suppressors when you shoot it the gasses going past the baffles acts like blowing across the opening of a bottle and will emit a higher pitch hiss or whistle which is noticeable for longer distances and the closer the baffles the higher the pitch is.. by adding the packing cartridge in the end the gasses impact the felt and are forced into it in both the end baffle that is perforated and through the perforated tube. this slows the gasses more and also changes the frequency of the escaping sound just like a packed car muffler does and the result is a lower pitched hissing sound or muffled TICK sound rather than a louder metallic whistling hiss.
    Last edited by Mauser 98K; 09-27-2017 at 11:19 PM.

Boolit Master

Love this stuff
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser 98K View Post
    adapt. overcome. improvise...

never said it was a closed system or a wipe design. the felt never touches or can ever touch the bullet at any time.. this setup does work. i come up with this idea years ago for a guy who was building his own suppressor. yes he had already paid the stupid tax. but we was looking for ways to make the flat washer baffles quieter and we settled on this design and rifle brass loaded with unique to 1,050fps.. this is not designed for super sonic high pressure rounds, if you want to shoot high pressure then why even bother with a suppressor to begin with..

to be able to shoot full power 7.62x54 with out hearing protection?

By the way this is a Form 1 45 caliber can being shot with 30 cal surplus ammo

the idea is so not even a guy across the street could hear you target practice in your back yard. it was designed for a bolt action..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	204774

have to excuse the cobbled up demonstration picture, i do not own one and the guy i helped moved several years back so i do not have access to the original and im having to do this by memory.. i mostly just helped him do it over our MySpace messenger system and he did the work. i just took my flashlight apart and used Paint Brush that come with my OS for demonstration purposes. i did get to see it a couple times b4 he moved though and it was cool..

this design was after several weeks of trial and error. if it didn't sound quieter or if it made it louder it was taken out and tossed, if it made it quieter then it stayed and we moved on to the next thing. we used the perceived noise level to the human ear. unlike the machine measured **** they make now which does not even come close to hearing like a human ear, this was designed so that the human ear could barely hear it.. with a 24in barrel and .308 loaded with unique pistol powder and LRN bullets at 1,050fps it was actually quieter than a CO2 powered 177cal pellet gun. at 50m if there was any ambient noise whatsoever there was no way you would ever hear it. to add to the sound lowering the tube was then covered with a couple layers of bicycle tire tube that was forced over the tube to get rid of any tube ring that might occur..

this design was also able to be taken off the rifle and put back on with no change in zero of the rifle.. this was done with a setscrew and a small dimple that located the suppressor so it could always be put back on the exact same way it was taken off.the thing screwed over a step that sealed it and helped locate it and tightened till the setscrew dimple lined up and locked down. he tested this design by taking the thing off the rifle and then putting it back on and doing a penny sized group at 50m.

but if the felt packs up then just use mineral spirits or another solvent to wash it and let it dry and it will be like new again.

but this design is a sort of backwards from some of the old OSS and CIA designs. theirs had the packing closer to the muzzle of the gun which would move and bunch up in the tube from the high pressure hot gasses degrading the performance of the suppressor. by reversing this design the gasses are slowed down and cooled enough that it does not really bother the felt packing and it last longer.. this also has another function, it is to change the frequency of the sound escaping from the suppressor. with most suppressors when you shoot it the gasses going past the baffles acts like blowing across the opening of a bottle and will emit a higher pitch hiss or whistle which is noticeable for longer distances and the closer the baffles the higher the pitch is.. by adding the packing cartridge in the end the gasses impact the felt and are forced into it in both the end baffle that is perforated and through the perforated tube. this slows the gasses more and also changes the frequency of the escaping sound just like a packed car muffler does and the result is a lower pitched hissing sound or muffled TICK sound rather than a louder metallic whistling hiss.
    For someone who expressed no experience - you seem to be holding out on us.
    Same 45 cal form 1 can on 38 spl
    je suis charlie

Banned
    and if he forced a couple of bicycle tube pieces over the can and had the muffler cartridge it would not even have that tink sound that your hearing.. you would just hear a click and muffled puck sound.. that sound your hearing is the can ringing from the impact of the gasses coming out the barrel coupled with the high pressure gasses screaming by the gaps created by the baffles.

never said i didn't know how they work or how to make one. just said i don't own one.. could not get around the idea of having to pay idiot Washington District of Criminals 200 or more dollars..
    Last edited by Mauser 98K; 09-27-2017 at 11:46 PM.

He is Me - and what Tink Sound? And I defy you to build a 45 caliber can and shoot 30 cal and 35 cal thru it and have it make a click and muffled puck sound.
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    He is Me - and what Tink Sound? And I defy you to build a 45 caliber can and shoot 30 cal and 35 cal thru it and have it make a click and muffled puck sound.
    Amen Brother..........I use a full auto rated 9mm can on my 300 BLK bolt gun with pretty good results. Both it any my 22 can use the monocore design. The 22 is an Outback II and the 9mm is a modified SWR. Aluminum monocore for the 22 and titanium for the 9.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Banned
    Well yea ,bullet size and hole size does make a difference.. on the vid I can hear a light metallic tink from the can.. But it is as I said about machine microphone systems,they pick up things the human ear can't and won't pickup some things we can hear.. I'd try the rubber wrapping and see what that did..